Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Million Ways to Die in the West...not even good for the Charlize Theron eye candy...

There is nothing Seth Macfarlane has done outside of Family Guy that I've found remotely comical. And even Family Guy was attributed to the writers that came on board after the show's lengthy hiatus a few years back.

Against my better judgment last night I watched lone survivor.

I had read the book about a month ago and felt intrigue to watch the movie version.

I was disappointed with the introduction of the movie compared to the book, the book really spent some time teaching you how much each team member you about their fellow team members it gave background of their first combat experiences in Iraq.

The movie also left out how often they talked about hating Hollywood, the liberal media, and all the stinking politicians who made poor decisions on their behalf.

However the movie did a excellent job in my opinion of showing how brutally painful this war has been for the people who are fighting.

A Million Ways to Die in the West...not even good for the Charlize Theron eye candy...
Some friends of ours actually left the movie 1/2 way through. LOL

I thought Neil Patrick Harris was in it too. Isn't he always funny in his roles?

Even NPH was bad. He's plays the antagonist who owns a mustache shop. Some people in the theater we were in left after the first 15 minutes.

World War Z - Somehow I rented this not knowing it was a zombie movie. I'm not usually a fan of zombie flicks, but it wasn't all that bad. I give it a B.

So we recently saw World War Z, too.

World_War_Z_poster.jpg

I knew it was a zombie movie and have not watched it because zombie movies typically suck. Like, really suck. This one wasn't bad. In fact, I'd say I liked it. The good aspects are - 1) the zombieness starts EARLY in the movie and no time is wasted on character development blah blah blah, 2) the acting was good, 3) the story was good, and 4) everything was explained well and everything was easy. It even had fire, explosions, and lots of guns. The only part I thought was absolutely useless was the doctor on the plane to South Korea.

I mean, he tripped, fell, and shot himself dead. WTF?

I give the movie 4 stars.

Mirieille Enos... 4 stars as well. She has that "real world person" look. :eyebrows:

We enjoyed World war Z but it kind I had one of those cheesy Stephen King endings where you have a pretty good story and then they just find some hokey way to end the book/movie

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw WWZ too. I thought it was ok but I am very tempted to simply buy the original book and read it. I hear it's pretty good.

I knew it was a zombie movie and have not watched it because zombie movies typically suck. Like, really suck. This one wasn't bad. In fact, I'd say I liked it. The good aspects are - 1) the zombieness starts EARLY in the movie and no time is wasted on character development blah blah blah, 2) the acting was good, 3) the story was good, and 4) everything was explained well and everything was easy. It even had fire, explosions, and lots of guns. The only part I thought was absolutely useless was the doctor on the plane to South Korea.

Can someone explain why:

1) Brad Pitt's character was so special that he was singled out by the UN to save humanity? He had no particular skills or expertise as far as I could tell.

2) How could the zombie tell Pitt's character was sick when he wasn't showing any symptoms of illness? Are these psychic zombies?

I knew it was a zombie movie and have not watched it because zombie movies typically suck. Like, really suck.
I'd be interested to know which zombie movies you've seen and consider them to "suck".

Shaun of the Dead

28 Days Later

28 Weeks Later

ugh...

Can someone explain why:

1) Brad Pitt's character was so special that he was singled out by the UN to save humanity? He had no particular skills or expertise as far as I could tell.

2) How could the zombie tell Pitt's character was sick when he wasn't showing any symptoms of illness? Are these psychic zombies?

Thierry briefly states that Gerry (Brad Pitt) was his best investigator he's ever had.

Just like some dogs are trained to "sniff out" cancer in people, I guess infections cause the body to release something that makes them appear unhealthy / not to be a suitable host for spreading the zombie infection.

I knew it was a zombie movie and have not watched it because zombie movies typically suck. Like, really suck.
I'd be interested to know which zombie movies you've seen and consider them to "suck".

Shaun of the Dead

28 Days Later

28 Weeks Later

ugh...
THAT'S what you're basing "typical" zombie movies from?! LOL First off, Shaun of the Dead is epically awesome. It was trying to poke fun at the 28 Days/Weeks Later movies. And they succeeded. The dialogue and screen play is pure comedic genius. As far as I'm concerned that put Simon Pegg on the map.

Secondly, if you want a bit more material to justify that zombie movies don't typically suck, you should start with what basically spawned zombie games and movies. Resident Evil. Your gf Milla Jovavich is in it too, so :plusone:

You should also really check out Zombieland. Another well done movie with excellent screen play and epic dialogue. ;)

I especially liked the montage of zombie killing with Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" as the soundtrack.

Against my better judgment last night I watched lone survivor.

I had read the book about a month ago and felt intrigue to watch the movie version.

I was disappointed with the introduction of the movie compared to the book, the book really spent some time teaching you how much each team member you about their fellow team members it gave background of their first combat experiences in Iraq.

The movie also left out how often they talked about hating Hollywood, the liberal media, and all the stinking politicians who made poor decisions on their behalf.

However the movie did a excellent job in my opinion of showing how brutally painful this war has been for the people who are fighting.
i read Lone Survivor back in 2008 and loved the book. i haven't seen the movie yet. one of my buddies said it's a fantastic movie, but he has shitty taste in movies. so i'll probably rent it on a lazy sunday afternoon.

I never could stay with the 28 days movies, Shaun of the dead didnt really make much sense to me either, didnt make it 15 minutes into the film... it was like clerks with zombies...

Liked all the Resident Evil movies (well the first two)

Dawn of the Dead (the one in the mall)...

Zombie Land was really well done

Zombie strippers is not all that good

Zombie Night (Has BOTH Anthony Micheal Hall and Darryl Hannah) not all that good but worth it,

There was another zombie flick where a guy kept all the zombies alive (on an island) chained up, waiting on them to be healed or something, it was kind of hokey, but entertaining...

Back