ME or MBA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jroyce

Reaction score
So I was approached by my boss and the owner of the company today and after I told them that I didn't quite make the grade on the April 07 PE exam, they asked me if i would be inclined to going back to school after I pass the PE exam in October (hopefully). The owner of the company would like me to go back and get a masters degree. Currently I have a BS in mechanical engineering.

So I was trying to get opinions on which degree is more beneficial - a masters in engineering or a masters in business? I would probably get the the master in civil engineering but not sure if I would specialize more then that. Anyway what's everyones take on the masters degree. Is it even worth going back to school and getting? I'm not really thinking about the degree as it would apply to my current job but more for the future and which one would hold out more opportunities for me in the open market.

hmm, i've heard MBAs are better in the long run than MEs. but i think it also depends on your field and career path (ex: management vs research/design)

I've thought about going back for an MBA at some point in time. But like was already mentioned, it depends on what you want to do in the future.

Thats kinda what I thought. I don't plan on going into the whole research and developement field but you never know. I still have about 40 years of working left until I hit retirement age so who knows what all will happen in that amount of time. I guess to sum it all up I would like to go into consulting at some time and hopefully my own company (maybe) but that also is its own hassle. I don't foresee research though. If it helps... Career aspirations are a little murky right now.

Are they offering to pay for it? ...go for the MBA, unless you don't want to go into management. I'd give my left arm to have my employer pay for my MBA. My current employer (Fed. Gov.) won't support an MBA, so I've looked at specialty engineering degrees (like Environmental Restoration, etc.), but I keep coming back to the MBA. Don't pigeon hole yourself.

D

What you can do is take business classes while getting your Master's degree. You may end up with a Minor in Business...and have some business exposure.

As for the Master's degree, if research is anywhere in the future, I would opt for the Master of Science over the Master of Civil Engineering, etc. The thesis option is viewed as the better way to go if you want to go into some sort of research.

Good luck,

ktulu

Are they offering to pay for it? ...go for the MBA, unless you don't want to go into management. I'd give my left arm to have my employer pay for my MBA. My current employer (Fed. Gov.) won't support an MBA, so I've looked at specialty engineering degrees (like Environmental Restoration, etc.), but I keep coming back to the MBA. Don't pigeon hole yourself.
D

They will pay for 90% of any degree barring that you get a B average and that you can make it apply to the field. They said they would pay for either degree. since I work for a testing/engineering facility they more or less like the idea of marketability of the company. More of the "Choose my company because we have 13 PE's and out of those PE's 10 have Masters degree in one field or another." That is what they are looking for in the education. They want me to go run a satelite lab in FL so it would more or less be the selling point for that lab. I was more looking for which would be better for me in th elong run.

ktulu: I like that idea. Do companies look at your minors though? and the Master of science degree: is that primarily for a research job or would it apply in other fields?

Where do you live? Does your company need a civil engineer? ....seriously!

D

They will pay for 90% of any degree barring that you get a B average and that you can make it apply to the field. They said they would pay for either degree. since I work for a testing/engineering facility they more or less like the idea of marketability of the company. More of the "Choose my company because we have 13 PE's and out of those PE's 10 have Masters degree in one field or another." That is what they are looking for in the education. They want me to go run a satelite lab in FL so it would more or less be the selling point for that lab. I was more looking for which would be better for me in th elong run.

I have a Masters in Engineering. I think an MBA would have been more marketable.

I do not have a minor in business; I did get a Master of Science last year, though. I was employed at a research facility while in grad school; that's why I went the thesis option. It shows that you can handle the load of doing research, then putting it down on paper...and I thought I was going to stay there a while (now I work for a small consulting firm, but still do a bit of research)

A college professor, however, said that if you were going out to the private sector, then a Master in Civil would suffice...

But the business classes you take will only help your understanding if you find yourself in a management situation. Plus, you would be that far along if you were to go back for the MBA...

Where do you live? Does your company need a civil engineer? ....seriously!
D

The main lab is in York, PA and satelite labs are in CA, WI, MN, TX, FL, (Pittsburgh) PA and WA. I don't know if they are lookign for any engineers at this time but I know they are usually keeping an open mind and if they like what you have to offer they will make a position that they could use you in. Where are you from?

St. Louis.

The main lab is in York, PA and satelite labs are in CA, WI, MN, TX, FL, (Pittsburgh) PA and WA. I don't know if they are lookign for any engineers at this time but I know they are usually keeping an open mind and if they like what you have to offer they will make a position that they could use you in. Where are you from?

I think it’s probably different for each discipline.

A structures person might generally prefer a MCE over an MBA I would think.

I decided to get an MBA (finished it in 2004) the main reason I got the MBA was to possibly get out of engineering, but that didn’t ever happen so I wont tell that story.

But looking ahead, I think the MBA will pay for itself, and no my employer didn’t reimburse me for mine, but one day when I want to go for an office manger position, or department head of a large transportation firm I think it will be very handy.

Some of the classes were really tough, international finance was about as hard as they come , the marketing classes gave some really good templates for putting proposals together.

All in all I found it sort of eye opening compared to engineering. You also do a ton of public speaking, group projects, etc.

I agree with what's already been said: get the MSxE (fill in the x with M or C or whatever) if you want to stay in engineering, but go with the MBA if you have aspirations for management. The MBA may also come in handy if you do actually start you own consulting firm.

I got an MSEE and have absolutely no management aspirations. In the short run I don't think the degree helped all that much, but in the long term it will help in achieving the higher technical positions (ultimate goal: Principal Engineer).

On the flip side of the coin, however, at least at my company I think the MS is more versitile. There are some people in management with an MBA and some with an MS (and some with neither), but they require an MS for the high-level technical positions (which are equivalent to low-mid management).

:reading:

Don't miss the opportunity!!!. MBA might give you more offers. It depends on your plans for the future and aptitude to plow further into Engineering. Masters may not give you a greater edge than a B.S. unless the company's policy demands that. Usually companies may think -- if a BS could do what a MS could, hire a BS as it could be cheaper.

Another question:

What is the value of Online MBA or MS from some reputed Universities?.

:reading: Don't miss the opportunity!!!. MBA might give you more offers. It depends on your plans for the future and aptitude to plow further into Engineering. Masters may not give you a greater edge than a B.S. unless the company's policy demands that. Usually companies may think -- if a BS could do what a MS could, hire a BS as it could be cheaper.

Another question:

What is the value of Online MBA or MS from some reputed Universities?.
This is really kind of a tough question. I have a BS in Aero and a MSME. Part of the reason I went back for the Master's in Mechanical was I felt I was a little pigeonholed having an undergrad degree in Aerospace engineering even though it is pretty close to Mechanical.

I had always thought I pretty much threw that $30-40k away getting the MSME until my company closed down and I had to change fields (manufacturing to energy industry). I'm pretty sure that I would not have been hired without that MSME even though I had a ton of experience in a management position running a 10 person engineering department at my previous job. So I finally feel that it paid off. Having said that, I've seriously thought about getting an MBA as well. I kind of think that's getting a little carried away with the number of degrees (I also have a BA as part of a 3-2 engineering program) so I took the cheaper route and got my PE instead. B)

I do still feel there is a lot of value in an MBA for engineers and would encourage you to get which ever one fits best for you. My personal opinion is the MBA would be a lot easier though!

D
A lot of it is your specific command; they may or may not pay for the whole MBA depending on the training budget, but you can usually get your boss to pay for some of the classes. And there are certain programs where they'll pay for an MBA. I forget the name, but I know DoD has a program open to GS-13 and above designed entirely to develop SES candidates which sponsors an MBA, classes at the war college and some other good stuff. Not to mention puts you on the fast track for promotion to GS-14/15.
But lets face it- GS-14+ isn't going to be doing a lick of engineering work, that's a management position plain and simple, even for engineering organizations. I'm torn... I'm ambitious and want a promotion, but I don't want to do that type of work! Not that I'm doing much engineering as it is, but eh.

Either way, I see a PE with an MBA to be *extremely* marketable to engineering companies.

Last edited:
dont know if I would say "alot easier" unless you have an international finance class.

Things about an MBA that dont work well for prototypical engineers is there is lots of public speaking and group projects.

Whenever I was hiring people, I would take someone with 1 year of work experience/ no masters over 0 years work experience & a masters in there field any day of the week though. (civil)

I've been in this business for 25 years!!!! I can't think of a SINGLE example where someone with an MS in Engineering had an advantage over someone with a BS, But I do know several that advanced because of having an MBA. Are you going to learn something while getting the MS that will put you ahead of your peers???? Maybe, I honestly don't know?? but will having an MBA seperate you from the crowd? probably!

BTW....I'm not flaming those of you that do have a Master's degree, just stating my observation.

Shit, I'll be totally honest. The only reason I have a Master's degree is because it was free. I was working full-time for Auburn University, and they offer tuition waivers for up to 5 hours a semester. It took a little longer than a typical graduate student, but I have it; it will not hurt me one bit...and was exposed to more material than an undergrad.

Any other situation, and I would never had gone back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back