MD study for TF exam takers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seeseansky

Reaction score
Approximately one month to go and I know everybody is falling in love(?) with books and sample exams. 

I selected TF because I found if I select TF then I would see only 8 problems from MD in morning according to NCEES spec. I could say HVAC morning is be a part of TF. It means I can focus on my depth.

I started my studying around christmas and until now I used above 85% my time on TF and only below 15% on MD and HVAC. 

Now I am little nervous if I did not study enough MD. (I just quickly reviewed MERM MD sections twice and I feel I know just which subjects are where. )

I wonder how is going on in other TF exam takers. 

Good luck guys!!

Most of the Merm is fair game.  Definitely know your TF chapters.  If you master the afternoon material, you prob will do well.

How is your preparation on the TF depth? I just reviewed MERM MD once and don't feel like I can manage to do it again, I got a whole lot to work on the depth part. By the way, I am taking TF depth too.

How is your preparation on the TF depth? I just reviewed MERM MD once and don't feel like I can manage to do it again, I got a whole lot to work on the depth part. By the way, I am taking TF depth too.
I made my study plan into two absolutely independent paths which are TF and others. (but slightly more focused on HVAC.) Now I feel approx. 90% of study time was used for TF. For TF studying, first just quickly reviewed MERM then seriously worked on MERM with practice problems twice excluding one- hour problems and weird ones until early Mar. I also made my summary notes along with this MERM studying. Then worked SMS TF four times mainly using my notes which were partly updated also with SMS TF contents. (With SMS TF, I believe approx. 15-20 problems such as code/std related ones or using manufacturer data are not realistic hence I excluded them after first attempt and focused only on others.) Until this time, I studied really hard after work on weekdays and studied 6-7 hrs on weekend just like hell!

Now I am working through SMS MD. With SMS MD, I am just reviewing/understanding the solutions and finding locations of the related equations with highlights marking. (not trying to solve them.) On friday I will use my time on economy and other stuff. 

I will take NCEES 2011 this saturday under timed and simulated condition, then review them until the end of Mar.

I will travel for vacation with my family on Apr.1-5. Then my study plan is to work SMS TF and NCEES 2011 again and again till the end. 

I really wish to finish this kind of life as soon as possible....

Good luck!

Nice! sounds like a solid preparation. I did an attempt to solve the SMS MD problems but made the mistake of trying to solve them, which discouraged me and I gave up, Maybe I'll go back on it later. I took NCEES 2008 and 2001 under simulated and timed condition, didn't do very well but after that I worked through the problems till I know those very well. This Saturday I will take Lindeburg practice exam. Based on the experience of previous examinees on this board I feel like I am gonna get slaughtered on Lindeburg practice exam :) but hope for the best!

Just understand that MD may be more heavily represented on the exam.  Those are only guidelines, not hard and fast rules.

Back