MD PE Application, Misdemeano question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillyphan

Reaction score
Hi, I'm filling out my application to take the Maryland exam in October and theres one question that is getting to me...

It says "Have you ever been convicted in any State or Federal court a felony or of a misdemeanor directly related to the fitness and qualification to practice engineering?"

What on earth is this supposed to mean? I"ve got a couple misdemeanors from my college years (Underage drinking, disorderly conduct) so I'm wondering do these apply in terms of being "directly related to the fitness and qualification to practice engineering". If so, what do I need to do and more importantly, am I screwed?

I can't imagine any of your college drinking/disorderly conduct misdemeanors would be considered to be directly related to your fitness to practice engineering. I'm sure their intent is to screen out people who have committed ethical violations like embezzlement, practicing without a license, misrepresenting their qualifications, corporate crimes, etc. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

My state asked the same thing, although I don't remember the part about it being directly related to engineering. I had many more things than you that I had to report and had no trouble with the application being accepted. Probably better to disclose those couple minor incidents than to ignore them and have them discovered later for some reason.

I can't imagine any of your college drinking/disorderly conduct misdemeanors would be considered to be directly related to your fitness to practice engineering. I'm sure their intent is to screen out people who have committed ethical violations like embezzlement, practicing without a license, misrepresenting their qualifications, corporate crimes, etc. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
Thats what I was thinking, however, I need to be absolutely certain, lest they think that I am trying to hide something you know what I mean?

Back