Masters in Engineering or MBA?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly - the whole notion of "upper management" is a dead end fantasy. The guys who make the most money in the Engineering Profession and have the most job satisfaction are the ones who run their own shop - doesn't even need to be a big one. pick a specialty, make some industry contacts and be an entrepreneur. you don't need an MBA for that... but you DO need a P.E. :)
Seriously, look at what is going on in the world:

http://blogs.wsj.com/laidoff/

the above is a must read.
That is why I have been loading up on Entrepreneurship classes in my MSETM (graduated) and MBA programs. I don't have too much farther until I am totally done with the school and ready to hang a shingle. I have learned enough though how to also go after big venture capital and actually make a real impact on society.

The M.S. in engineering has been very good for me and I would say that it upped my starting salary by 20%. I went straight through and did B.S., M.S. in 5 years total (with a couple of summer schools). In addition, it has placed me in a position a bit higher than my peers without the M.S. in my company. But, I don't want to be doing design work forever. I want to move into upper management and I think the M.B.A will give me a leg up in that department.
That 5 year BS/MS program is definitely the best bang for your buck. Considering the potential NCEES licensing rule changes that would require an MS for PE eligibility, I can see more schools changing their programs to a 5 year with a masters, similar to most architectural programs.

I wish I would have done something like that (BS/MS) but am leaning towards a cheap state school MBA program now.

You know, for all that talk that myself and others give about working for a while before choosing a masters program, I wish to hell I had gone ahead and gotten an MS in a 5 year program like that. It may not have been ideal, but with the possibility of needing it get licensed, and the fact that some jobs (including one I am about to start) essentially require it for promotions (as a check-off item, specialty not important), it is probably worth your time to go ahead and get one if you can do it that quickly and efficiently.

I went the engineering route. I finished my Masters of Engineering last year. I completed it while I was working full time and it took me 2 years to do it. I took summer and winter courses and during my last year I was taking two classes at the same time. It was tough but i am glad I did it.

I don't think the BS/MS combo option would not have suited me well. I had a tough time during my BS with "distractions". I graduated with a 2.7 gpa. My gpa for my M.Eng degree was 3.7. I was very dedicated and really wanted to learn. I was a completely different student. Most of it was because of my work experience. It did help that my employer picked up the tab only if I passed though. Graduate school was completely different than my undergrad. Everyone who is there truly wants to learn and are doing it for themselves. This creates a great learning environment. I even passed a grad level finite element analysis course. Which I would have not had I had the undergrad mentality. By the way, I don't recommend the course. I would have rather smashed my balls between two bricks.

As far as the MBA thing goes I am leaving that option open but for sometime in the future. Right now I love the engineering that I do. I don't envy my boss at all, especially around this time of year. My company usually stears engineers toward and MBA. I went oposite the grain. I believe my M.Eng and PE helped me with promotions up to where I am now. I believe longer term, maybe 10-15 years down the road, if I decide to go management the MBA would be better.

For me it was an easy choice. I worked a few years after my undergrad (B.S. Chemical Engineering) and decided that I wanted to specialize in fluid dynamics and CFD---something I had relatively small amount of knowledge on. I went back to school for my Masters in Mech. Engineering (basically for free by agreeing to be a TA). It has worked out well---although I don't make the $ I would like, I am doing something I love. IMHO, MBA's are a dime a dozen. I opted to do something that would set me apart a little.

Would anyone who has had to make this decision tell us how they overcame this dilemma?
I think this is (unfortunately) a no-brainer. At least taking my profession - Civil Engineer:

1) Average salary after a good MS (+ say you have 3 years of experience) might be in the 70-90k range

2) Average salary after a good MBA is probably in the 150k range (low-end with bonus)

I loved being an engineer until feeling the misery of it compared to dumb MBAers.

Would anyone who has had to make this decision tell us how they overcame this dilemma?
I think this is (unfortunately) a no-brainer. At least taking my profession - Civil Engineer:

1) Average salary after a good MS (+ say you have 3 years of experience) might be in the 70-90k range

2) Average salary after a good MBA is probably in the 150k range (low-end with bonus)

I loved being an engineer until feeling the misery of it compared to dumb MBAers.
The MBA numbers you are talking about are high end from a top school. Factor in lost salary for two years, plus loans. I don't disagree that the pay range is probably higher but the spread isn't that much and other factors to consider.

Also, I think you need to consider quality of life. To make that 150K, you will likely be in consulting or IB and they own you. While engineering can be demanding, in my experience, the work/life balance is much much better.

Its all about quality of life. I would not have fun being an MBA'er or a bean counter. I know the money is better doing that and any decent engineer can pass all those MBA classes with flying colors. The thing is that I really like what I do. I would rather love my job than try to chase money around. Happiness is hard to come by.

Its all about quality of life. I would not have fun being an MBA'er or a bean counter. I know the money is better doing that and any decent engineer can pass all those MBA classes with flying colors. The thing is that I really like what I do. I would rather love my job than try to chase money around. Happiness is hard to come by.
Coulnt' agree more.....that's why I chose the Masters in Engineering route also!!

The M.S. in engineering has been very good for me and I would say that it upped my starting salary by 20%. I went straight through and did B.S., M.S. in 5 years total (with a couple of summer schools). In addition, it has placed me in a position a bit higher than my peers without the M.S. in my company. But, I don't want to be doing design work forever. I want to move into upper management and I think the M.B.A will give me a leg up in that department.
That 5 year BS/MS program is definitely the best bang for your buck. Considering the potential NCEES licensing rule changes that would require an MS for PE eligibility, I can see more schools changing their programs to a 5 year with a masters, similar to most architectural programs.

I wish I would have done something like that (BS/MS) but am leaning towards a cheap state school MBA program now.
Holy crap! please tell me that aint so...

Back