Masters in Engineering or MBA?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in with chucktown. i did the bs, got the ms in engineering. i found it got me a higher salary, faster promotions, but only slightly, and not really what i was looking for. i got a serious technical depth that wasnt all that applicable and at the moment isnt hirable (is that a word?) and now im going for an MBA at a top 25. ive talked to potential employers around the metro and several and mentioned a requirement of a top 25 mba program as a criteria for hiring (as in dont go to the one that doesnt even require the gmat) and they all cost about the same around here so thats where i am now. i think that someone else mentioned the split of design engineer and manager and that definitely is true. if one or the other is mor your style, then that should anser your question. if not, then maybe youre not ready.

I got my MS in civil Engineering and glad I did, the question is really are you looking long term into upper management of manager of a technical group. If you have a BS in Engineering and a PE that will take you quite far, you then come to the point were you will be a department head or go into management. If I had it all to do over I would have gone MBA.

I got my MS in civil Engineering and glad I did, the question is really are you looking long term into upper management of manager of a technical group. If you have a BS in Engineering and a PE that will take you quite far, you then come to the point were you will be a department head or go into management. If I had it all to do over I would have gone MBA.
I am 25, and just finished my MBA..took me 3.5 years part time while I was working. So far I have no regrets, but do think that it balances you out as a professional. I am interested to see how much it helps me in the future. I know I won't become a manager just because I have it, but think it may give me a leg up.

The beauty of it is that an MBA gives you the same qualification as someone who has a business undergrad and an MBA, except you also are an engineer with a PE. And its interesting to see in my classes how many individuals started out as engineers and now are in a completely different career path. In this market, you need to be diversified. I think an MBA does that for you.

I gotta tell you guys it is a little amusing to read this thread, and everyone is worrying if a BS + a P.E. is enough.
How many billionaires dropped out of college? The list is large. http://www.online2college.com/online-colle...ut-college.html

If you want to be a millionaire I think studying the guys on that list would give you as much a chance as a MS or MBA.
I think the question was whether or not a MS or MBA is better to have in the engineering industry. Not how to become a millionaire, or whether or not furthering education will help do so.

I think the question was whether or not a MS or MBA is better to have in the engineering industry. Not how to become a millionaire, or whether or not furthering education will help do so.
At the end of the day, I'm not smart enough to become a millionaire even with an MBA, so I need all the help I can get.

Honestly - the whole notion of "upper management" is a dead end fantasy. The guys who make the most money in the Engineering Profession and have the most job satisfaction are the ones who run their own shop - doesn't even need to be a big one. pick a specialty, make some industry contacts and be an entrepreneur. you don't need an MBA for that... but you DO need a P.E. :)

Seriously, look at what is going on in the world:

http://blogs.wsj.com/laidoff/

the above is a must read.

I got an MS in Information Systems which is similar to an MBA because I was interested in it, and it's easier than engineering. It definitely wouldn't have helped my career at all.

The only MBAs that will really help your career financially at this point are from the top schools. If you can get into the top 25 or so schools, which still boast fairly high starting salaries.

http://www.admissionsconsultants.com/mba/compensation.asp

These aren't huge, but bear in mind they are starting pay.

I think he's used to measuring his success by how much money he makes - but that's a topic for another thread.

I think if you are several years out of college then you opt for an MBA. If you are still in school, then go for the Masters. I don't know if I could ever go back now and get a Masters or PhD in Engineering.

I think if you are several years out of college then you opt for an MBA. If you are still in school, then go for the Masters. I don't know if I could ever go back now and get a Masters or PhD in Engineering.
I think this is good advice.

I got my BSEE over 15 years ago. I looked at some sample material and exams from the graduate EE program at UCLA and other local colleges, and good Lord that stuff is hard (as far as I'm concerned). At least in communication theory, which is my emphasis. A lot of math I don't remember at all, and didn't understand that well in the first place. Lucky none of that was on the PE exam. I'd still be working the first problem 4 years later.

When I graduated with my Masters in Information Systems a couple years ago I was the top person in the class without too much effort. Granted, I didn't graduate from Wharton, but still I did pretty good.

At least for me, engineering is hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my Masters in mechanical engineering even though I was debating the whole MBA thing, as well. What made me decide to go for engineering is the simple fact that I hate business stuff. As far as timing goes, I got my BS in 2002 and started on my MS 2.5 years later. In that 2.5 year time period, I did seemingly nothing with my brain. :tardbang:

I took the middle road and got a MEM (Masters in Engineering Management). It's sorta like an MBA for engineers.

Hey I could use some help here. Can you brief me about the job opportunities available. I am considering doing my Masters in Telecomm Management, but the course is unpopular with a few students opting for it. This makes me unsure about career options..some help please

The key question is: What does your company value more?

There are companies and there are companies. I used to work for one that was very serious about engineers getting the PE license. Masters degrees were someting trivial. Now I work for one where the PE is good only if you run out of toilet paper. They see Master Degree in a resume and their eyes roll all the way back to white. But if it says MBA they just shit in their pants, or panties, because the emotion and excitement.

Now I work for one where the PE is good only if you run out of toilet paper. ..... But if it says MBA they just shit in their pants, or panties, because the emotion and excitement.
Well, in this case they probably prefer a candidate with both an MBA and a PE - aftter the initial excitement over the MBA they can take care of the afternath.

I took the middle road and got a MEM (Masters in Engineering Management). It's sorta like an MBA for engineers.
I got my MS in Engineering Management as well, and it is well described as "middle of the road". On the business side the program required economics, operations and organizational behavior courses. While on the engineering side the program offered the flexibility to choose from desired graduate level engineering courses. I am a mechanical, so I focused the technical side of my degree on materials and machine design.

I am very happy I went this route, and I recommend everyone to consider it. I was able to maintain the technical side which is where my interests are, but I also gained valuable business skills that are important as well. The organizational behavior course was especially foreign to me going into the class, but I really enjoyed it. That is not a topic you will cover in most MS in engineering programs.

As with everything nowadays there is a professional org:

www.asem.org

I'm halfway through my MBA program right now, and I feel like its a great idea. I'm learning so much more about finance, accounting and more importantly managing people. I'm getting such a broad introspect about corporate america, something I would never get in an engineering masters program. To move up in an organization, its not all about technical skill. Most engineers never make it to the next level because they are not well versed in the terms of finance. the mba gives you the best of both worlds, most of these business majors dont know jack shit so the engineering background puts you ahead of the game. An engineer MBA has great potential in the business world and a much higher opportunity to move up. You can work in business or in engineering. best of both worlds IMO. I know some people will disagree with me; i repeat if you want to be a hardcore design engineer, an mba is not for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised that nobody has advised going with the Masters in Engineering. With our profession almost at the point of requiring a masters to become licensed, it would only put you ahead of the curve. (Maybe an MBA would help count towards those hours though, I am not sure) I have about 1 semester left on my M.Eng Structural Engineering. I felt that it would strengthen my knowledge in my field (especially since my undergrad Civil was not a structural emphasis) and help me when it comes time to take the PE. Either way, furthering your education can never hurt. Good luck.
I graduated from my masters program about 5 yrs ago but before I got into the MS program I was confused too. I went for GMAT and got into an MBA program, but soon realised that it wasn't a right decision. Here are the 2 main reasons:

1. The job market was not strong for MBA students.

2. I personally felt out of place while taking those classes. The reason being lack of professional experience.

I decided after a semester that I can always come back later on and finish my MBA on my company's expense!!!! In the mean time I should concentrate on MS and land a good job. Luckily it paid off and now I am in a position to continue my MBA program.

I dont think it is a good comparison to make between MS and MBA. All these years I have seen employers push towards hiring MS graduates and I think its a very good trend. I don't think students learn enough relating to one particular field in Bachelor's program. MS provides them an edge in the job market.

Hope this helps! :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back