Masonry- working stress or ultimate strength?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playboyman007

Reaction score
In design masonry structures, do you (experience engineers) perfer ultimate strength or working stress?

I'm working on a presentation and I've only finished a class using ASD on masonry. I noticed that the ACI completely changed from working stress to ultimate strength.

I personally prefer ASD. But looking in the newer codes, you'll find that when you're designing a bearing wall with an out of plane load you'll have to use LRFD.

Both methods are fine. The current trend is to have all designs (for all materials) following the LRFD method. Personally, I think it's like pounding a square peg in a round hole. The codes are becoming unnecessarily complex in order to convert traditional design methods to a one-size-fits-all format. As a result there are numerous "adjustments" or superfluous code provisions to make the newer methods match the results of the older tried-and-true design methods.

I haven't sdone much masonry, but my understanding is that it was traditionally ASD (just like steel design).

my :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are just geriatric old farts.

Limit States is the future!!

(except when I am doing pile design, then ASD kicks ass!)

Back