Lowering expectations?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StaciaZ

Reaction score
So here's something I've been pondering.

I was a first time test taker for the Civil PE in October. After I left the test, I felt fairly confident that I'd passed. Naturally, my coworkers, friends, and family asked me how it went. I gave them an honest answer and said that I felt like it had gone pretty well.

Now that it's been a couple of weeks since the test, people have made a few comments as if it was already a sure thing. I'm starting to worry that just in case I don't pass I'm going to look like a prize idiot.

Now I wish I had downplayed it a bit to lower everyone's expectations.

Anybody else regret sounding confident about the exam? Anybody intentionally downplay their confidence just in case they're wrong?

Well actually I bought them before the test haha, I felt like it would give me more confidence going in with the assumption that I would pass. Haven't sent them yet though :)

I felt good about the test and tell people I 'probably passed'. The more positive energy I throw at this, the quicker those weeks are going to go by. Start doubting and it's gonna drag.

I am kinda in the same boat. I felt that I had passed after leaving the exam and the next day. By Sunday, I began to have second guesses on all the problems I could remember. I am now at the point where i just tell myself that I am at the same place before I took the exam....so it doesn't matter if I flunked and have to do it over (I really dont want to do that of course).

Actually, as hard to beleive as it is, I have these strange feeling of emotional let down after the exam since it is no longer the focus of my life. Anyone else have this post partum?

I am kinda in the same boat. I felt that I had passed after leaving the exam and the next day. By Sunday, I began to have second guesses on all the problems I could remember. I am now at the point where i just tell myself that I am at the same place before I took the exam....so it doesn't matter if I flunked and have to do it over (I really dont want to do that of course).

Actually, as hard to beleive as it is, I have these strange feeling of emotional let down after the exam since it is no longer the focus of my life. Anyone else have this post partum?

Tell me about it..I had a feeling that I had all the time in the world and started to think analytically for every decision I had to make :D . I miss working out the practice problems..

I totally have this feeling. I took the CA exams for the first tme in October and felt pretty confident right after. I even finished both the morning and afternoon sessions an hour early and left the exam room (I just had a baby so I needed to pump my milk, but didn't want to stop in the middle of the exam for a break and have to pick up where I left off). But after reading so many posts on this board of people who were super confident leaving the exam only to be humbled when they got their results, now I'm really worried. Maybe I should have taken the extra time to quadruple-check my work? : /

As you can tell from my user name, worrying and waiting for my results is going to be my fate for the next few months, unfortunately.

I felt the same way. Halfway into the afternoon section for the Civil PE, I kept grinning like an idiot while telling myself "you just earned your PE License". Two days later, the self doubt sent in. I've been telling folks, "I feel pretty confident, but it's a tricky test so who knows!" I keep thinking that I've made those common mistakes that they have answers for. Maybe a big fat man in a red suit will have a nice surprise for me next month....

my confidence has gone up and down since the exam but I still think I passed. I would have had to make a lot of mistakes to fail. Im sure I made a few but not more than 20 that would lead to failure. My strategy was to study extra before the exam, about 400 hours total, so I would not have to worry after the exam. Now I'm just following through with the plan. I've been drinking like I passed!

Pathetic to say...but I have felt the same way
screwloose.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally have this feeling. I took the CA exams for the first tme in October and felt pretty confident right after. I even finished both the morning and afternoon sessions an hour early and left the exam room (I just had a baby so I needed to pump my milk, but didn't want to stop in the middle of the exam for a break and have to pick up where I left off). But after reading so many posts on this board of people who were super confident leaving the exam only to be humbled when they got their results, now I'm really worried. Maybe I should have taken the extra time to quadruple-check my work? : /

As you can tell from my user name, worrying and waiting for my results is going to be my fate for the next few months, unfortunately.
You`re one strong mommy!! I opted out of the Oct 2011 exam because there was no way I could survive the 4 hours without having to pump at least once. I had a 2 month old at the time.

I`ve been on a roller coaster. But for some reading while talking with a coursemate who also took the exam yesterday, I think I nailed it because I don`t think it was as bad for me as he described it.(I only need faith as small as mustard seed right?).

But, to be honest, I`ve had down days and up days. I also posted here yesterday that I am still having night mares. The most recent that I forgot my CERM at home and had to go back home with 75mins to the exam. I got home, got the book and headed to the library to get more books. From the way the dream went, I probably never made it back to the exam (good for my psyche...I don`t ever want to make it back to that room for the PE again!!!). Ha ha ha...... The things PE will do to you.

I have been telling people I know I nailed it. Everytime I say that, the questions I couldn`t answer flash across my face. However, I`m a positive thinker. I`m keeping my hope alive.

Umh....I`ll stop by at the store and get 8 thank you cards. Thanks for the idea.

I've got Thank You cards for my references just waiting to be written. But they are leftover from my wedding, so I can't say that I bought them because I was confident about my exam results. :)

I still have nightmares about the test which I took and passed Oct 2006!!! SOmetimes I am takign the test again, fully aware I have a license. others its forget books for the first time through...scary and creppy but it never really goes away

Can't say that I've been feeling that. I hated all the studying and all the time it kept me away from my family and friends. I don't miss it one bit!

You`re one strong mommy!! I opted out of the Oct 2011 exam because there was no way I could survive the 4 hours without having to pump at least once. I had a 2 month old at the time.
NCEES is actually pretty awesome in that they granted me special accommodations for pumping. I was allowed 30 mins off the clock to pump, plus I got to take the exam with other ADA examinees so I was in a nice hotel conference room with cushy chairs and super nice proctors. I didn't end up taking the breaks, but it was great knowing it was there for me just in case.

Don't worry. I felt like a rockstar when I walked out of the exam, but as time went on I convinced myself that I didn't stand a chance and should start studying for the next one.

You will go through various emotional phases until results are distributed:

Relief - Typically the first few days afterwards. (thank God it's done)

Confidence - the first few weeks. (I rocked that test)

doubt - sets in anywhere between a couple weeks to a month afterwards. (Well, maybe I could have used this equation instead). This eventually evolves into convincing yourself you completely bombed the exam and will need to retake it. (some even start filling out the registration paperwork to re-take the exam)

frustration - about 6 weeks out. (Why are they taking so long to grade this? Don't they know the registration deadline is coming up for re-takers?)

anger - the last few days before results (why is my state the last to be notified. I could grade a scantron sheet in 30 seconds, wtf?)

then the results come out. Your feelings here are based on the actual results and then accentuated with the levels of doubt, frustration, and anger you got built up over the previous several weeks.

If you passed, you will forget all of this within a few days of getting the results and you will be anxiuos to start harassing the next round of test takers in April...

If you failed, you will forget all of this within a few days of getting the results and you will be anxious to start studying for the next round in April, and will start getting pissy towards those who passed and are now harassing you...

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel exactly that. As soon as I walked out, I was 100% sure I passed it. Then the self doubt started to dawn on me the next day and now I think I failed. I've gotten myself to the point now that if I fail, it was expected. You would think with scantrons they can check the tests within 2 weeks. Have to wait another 6 weeks.

Don't worry. I felt like a rockstar when I walked out of the exam, but as time went on I convinced myself that I didn't stand a chance and should start studying for the next one.

You will go through various emotional phases until results are distributed:

Relief - Typically the first few days afterwards. (thank God it's done)

Confidence - the first few weeks. (I rocked that test)

doubt - sets in anywhere between a couple weeks to a month afterwards. (Well, maybe I could have used this equation instead). This eventually evolves into convincing yourself you completely bombed the exam and will need to retake it. (some even start filling out the registration paperwork to re-take the exam)

frustration - about 6 weeks out. (Why are they taking so long to grade this? Don't they know the registration deadline is coming up for re-takers?)

anger - the last few days before results (why is my state the last to be notified. I could grade a scantron sheet in 30 seconds, wtf?)

then the results come out. Your feelings here are based on the actual results and then accentuated with the levels of doubt, frustration, and anger you got built up over the previous several weeks.

If you passed, you will forget all of this within a few days of getting the results and you will be anxiuos to start harassing the next round of test takers in April...

If you failed, you will forget all of this within a few days of getting the results and you will be anxious to start studying for the next round in April, and will start getting pissy towards those who passed and are now harassing you...
If the "clapping hands" emote were still available, I would have used it here. Well said Dex. LOL

I was totally confident that I passed....then 3 more attempts later, I did!!!! Honestly, it's these feelings, and the fact that it happens twice a year, and it takes SOOOO long to get results that make this a special event. Pass or Fail...life goes on, don't spend much time worrying about it because there's little you can do about it.

Back