Let the nervous countdown begin

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NCEES mentioned in a chat that results have been released to PCS states.

I think when ncees releases them, they go to all the state boards and the different testing services at the same time. What they do with them after that seems to vary a great deal..........

Correct, some places release right away, some wait for the next meeting, etc.

I just tried to log in and see and it said my ncees account was down for maintenance. Apparently my score may have blown it up

I just tried to log in and see and it said my ncees account was down for maintenance. Apparently my score may have blown it up

Mine says it will be down in 2 minutes...Hopefully they are uploading our scores?

Mine says it will be down in 2 minutes...Hopefully they are uploading our scores?

My pcs login isn't working right now either... does PCS work for anyone else?

Thanks nateluke, good luck to you. Congrats cajone. Hang in there as well NH_Structural.

AM multiple choice has been kicking my butt on all 3 attempts as I am constantly hovering around 50%. If I had to guess, we'd need around 30/40 to pass, but who knows.

And yeah, still not liking the bias towards buildings. I think it's roughly a 75%/25% split between buildings/bridges.

For another perspective on this (from a buildings guy)...

I think it's more like 25% AASHTO, 75% all the other codes

So in that sense I don't think it's that unreasonable since there are about 9+/- primary codes that the exam requires you to be proficient with. So in that sense, AASHTO is an overwhelming majority of the problems. A lot of those problems you're lumping into the 75% on "buildings" aren't actually specific to buildings per se. But this is a common complaint among bridge folks from what I've seen.
You're right. It wasn't meant to be a stab at buildings folks. However, as a bridge person the predominant code we use on a day-to-day basis is AASHTO. I'd say the remaining codes are more relevant to buildings and thus, provide buildings exam takers an advantage.

I can see that -- just providing the other side of things :)

Unfortunately for me... I don't use any of the codes on a day-to-day basis. Pretty much all engineering from first principles and dynamics. So I hate all the questions equally :)

As someone with varied experience in my engineering career (i.e. - building design, power plant design, railway design, manufacturing design) and a building-oriented engineering education, I agree that the current SE examination is heavily biased toward building design. The differentiation between the building SE and the bridge SE is advantageous to the building folks and somewhat disingenuous to the bridge folks. Although, if we're honest about it, the "bridge" designation is a bit of a misnomer as well, it really is an AASHTO designation as far as the examination is concerned. There is at least one entire body of bridge engineers who will never apply AASHTO - i.e. railroad bridge designers.

The fact is, the vast majority of the SE examination evaluates knowledge and application of design codes and specifications for occupied building structures. Even though ASCE 7-05, for instance, has applications to non-building structures and non-structural elements, the majority of ASCE 7-05 derived test material is occupied building structure related.

That's the way it is. If you want/need the SE (building or bridge) designation and you aren't experienced applying building-related codes and specifications, you either become proficient or stay on the outside looking in. At some point in your career, it's possible that the professional designations and examinations become more specialized, but those of us involved in this thread will likely be beyond sitting for those examinations when/if they arrive.

There is something to be said about the knowledge and analytical skills gained by preparing and passing the SE. I do believe that those of us who pass the exam are better engineers for the experience. But let's not kid ourselves about the content and scope of the exam, whether you happen to be a "building person", a "bridge (AASHTO) person", or one of the "others"...

By the time this is all said and done, I feel like I will be much more versed in structural design, since I NEVER do buildings and have very little experience. My college education was geared primarily towards bridges and I have never touched a building in my career. I have basically been teaching myself as I go so it has been an interesting experience

I just got an "Acceptable" on the NCEES website. Do you get anything else? i.e. a letter saying you passed so you can show your boss?

BOOM. CA California results are also shown on My NCEES now as well

"Acceptable" on both Gravity and Lateral components for me...first time test taker....and last time test taker!! Oh hells yes...and I have today off of work....Beer Me, ASAP.

BOOM. CA California results are also shown on My NCEES now as well

"Acceptable" on both Gravity and Lateral components for me...first time test taker....and last time test taker!! Oh hells yes...and I have today off of work....Beer Me, ASAP.
We hate you as much as we are happy for you. Congrats

:party-smiley-048: :bananadoggywow:

YES!!!! California.....Passed gravity and lateral,

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations everyone!

@ColoradoEngineer - Yeah, I was at the Convention Center both Friday and Saturday. Congratulations to you too!

Back