LEED

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second what MechGuy said exactly. I made flash cards, did the Colorado test, and memorized it. You have to know all of the credits forwards and backwards. Also spend some time on the first couple of chapters of the manual on the application process and so forth.

I second what MechGuy said exactly. I made flash cards, did the Colorado test, and memorized it. You have to know all of the credits forwards and backwards. Also spend some time on the first couple of chapters of the manual on the application process and so forth.

which manual?

which manual?
I was referring to the LEED-NC version 2.2 reference guide. I know it has changed now, but that is what I more or less memorized for the test.

is it just memorization? no reference material and no calcuator just makes me thing i need to memorize as much as possible and hope i can spill it out on test day.
That's exactly what was needed under v2.2. I think they were trying to make it less memorization for the new version, though I imagine there's still a lot of memorization/regurgitation involved.

I took and passed the LEED AP test yesterday, but am somewhat troubled by the results. For one thing, I know almost nothing about LEED. OK so i read through the reference guide and study guide once and found some free questionaires (for LEED 2.2) on the net, but that is all. I blindly guessed on at least 10 questions, used the "educated" guess method for 50-60 and had a good idea of the right answer for the remaining 2 or 3. Heres the part that troubles me. I wont give my exact score in case anyone from LEED finds this but on the GA test i averaged 86% and scored 179. great. passed. on the second part i averaged 63% and scored 176. Does this make any sense? i actually scored below 30% in two areas on the second part. Makes me think the test is simply a way to justify the ungodly amount it cost to use their initials in my email.

any thoughts?

as a side note i now have the 2009 LEED reference guide and study guide available for purchase.

LEED is bull$h!t IMO.

My last employer wanted everyone of the MEP engineers LEED accredited. You're right it is good for resume, but it's an unjustified amount of cost and paperwork for owners just to achieve a LEED rating for their building. Build to ASHRAE standards and it'll cost less with the same if not better results.

But congrats. It's needed if you work on municipal projects, etc..

LEED is bull$h!t IMO.
My last employer wanted everyone of the MEP engineers LEED accredited. You're right it is good for resume, but it's an unjustified amount of cost and paperwork for owners just to achieve a LEED rating for their building. Build to ASHRAE standards and it'll cost less with the same if not better results.

But congrats. It's needed if you work on municipal projects, etc..
i whole heartedly agree. i only got the accreditation for the "perceived" benefits. the cost is bloated and it only gets you a bunch of paper work that isnt necessary because we can design an energy efficient building without their help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at the CMP guide to see how much im going to have to pay these guys to use their logo when i came across this "The LEED AP without specialty credential is held in perpetuity and does not have any credential maintenance requirements or fees." I took the LEED AP BD & C. So does this mean if at the end of two years i havent completed 30 hrs of ce and i havent given them 50$, i can use the LEED AP just not the BD & C? or does this only apply to those that tested before there were specialty tests?

I was looking at the CMP guide to see how much im going to have to pay these guys to use their logo when i came across this "The LEED AP without specialty credential is held in perpetuity and does not have any credential maintenance requirements or fees." I took the LEED AP BD & C. So does this mean if at the end of two years i havent completed 30 hrs of ce and i havent given them 50$, i can use the LEED AP just not the BD & C? or does this only apply to those that tested before there were specialty tests?

To my knowledge, it's just to the legacy guys...

I'm pretty sure that's the case.

I'm glad I am one of the legacy guys. The requirements to keep the extra letters after LEED AP are way more difficult than what it is required to keep PE after my name.

Hi everyone,

I recently passed the LEED GA exam and I'm interested in working on a green building. Is there a place where I can apply for this particular project ?

will appreciate any help , thanks.

as a side note i now have the 2009 LEED reference guide and study guide available for purchase.

Without getting too much into the pros/cons of LEED I do know some guys that failed several attempts to pass the test.

Without getting too much into the pros/cons of LEED I do know some guys that failed several attempts to pass the test.
I do too. Including my boss and a 70-something year old EE at my last job. My boss actually passed the exam, but had his results invalidated for going to his locker (where they made you keep your personal items) before turning in the exam materials. They disqualified him from taking the test again for a year too.

LEED is a nice concept for trying to reward "green" construction. Unfortunately, the more you look at it, the more it looks like a money-making scheme. All the fees are front loaded, rather than trying to actively support projects, there are fees at every turn, and ultimately, after the building is certified, there is rarely any follow up to ensure that the building maintains its intent. I think as the program evolves it will grow past some of the problems, but right now, it seems cheap.

As for benefit, I am a water/wastewater engineer. There is a little benefit when the company goes after projects, but not much on the day to day. Traffic engineer would probably see the same thing. Mostly, accreditation is great for plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and civils.

I was wondering about LEED. I know some turkeys got in on that crap in our office but it just sounded like a nice scam to make some cheese to me. Kinda like a PTOE.

Back