LEED

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EP is where you exceed a required standard...such as 0 net energy instead of 50% reduction. ID credits can be Pilot Credits, or just something you make up, and present with your project that isn't necessarily a credit.

ID Credit 1 addresses credits that do not have EP points listed (the GA exam will not get deep into the reference guides).

ID and RP are credit categories.

For GA - none, for BD+C, you need to know the difference between zones, and the fc that goes with it.

For the refigerants, know the difference between HCFC's and CFC's and why they are bad...know that natural stuff is good.

Don't get lulled into a false sense of security with the practice tests, especially if you are answering the same questions over and over. The GA exam is going to come 95% from the Core Concepts Book, nothing from the reference guides.

It's the LEED exam, study for 20 minutes and you're good to go. My dog could pass that exam. You're gonna do great with all the work you put in.

Good luck with that one, especially on the questions I wrote.

Is there any way to get a copy of the core concepts PDF 2nd edition without having to shell out more money to USGBC? Its this sort of thing that really disappoints me about USGBC and the overall LEED system, they claim to want to spread their concepts and thereby change the construction market but turn around and charge for entry level core concepts material. A more effective way to educate and raise awareness might be to provide material free of charge. Same thing for the mandatory fees to clarify any credit...how is putting a premium on communication bringing about a shift in the construction industry? Now once you obtain a BD+C license you need to enroll in on-going education credits? (also sold at a premium) I get that everything requires funding but how about practicing what you preach and taking other factors into account when making these policies?

I hear Cal Green is gaining momentum among owners and is soon to overtake LEED certifications in CA, any thoughts?

I'm over it. back to studying! happy new year all you east coasters!

USGBC is a non-profit, all of their materials are in local libraries.

and LEED AP BD+C in the books! I have now added 11 letters after my name in the past 3 weeks. PE, LEED AP BD+C lol thanks for your help john Q.

John Q, I think the Admins got it when everyone was scrambling to take the test before the Leed GA was implemented. I'm not sure though, is it true that the GA came along afterwards? Also, I think you are correct about the designation, as a lot of them just say Leed AP without any particular discipline or field.

I work in the structural engineer field, and I've gone back and forth on how useful/applicable it would be in my line of work.

Thanks for all of the info.

I work in the structural engineer field, and I've gone back and forth on how useful/applicable it would be in my line of work.

I'm a site guy. I took it back when it was just a general exam. Won us a couple of jobs though and looks nice on a resume. About all I remember about the exam was finding a really good diner for lunch somewhere in Concord, NH. Don't recall the name of the place but the cole slaw was excellent.

John Q, I think the Admins got it when everyone was scrambling to take the test before the Leed GA was implemented. I'm not sure though, is it true that the GA came along afterwards? Also, I think you are correct about the designation, as a lot of them just say Leed AP without any particular discipline or field.

Thanks for all of the info.

GA came about recently. 2010 maybe?

LEED is obviously less applicable for those of us in the civil.structural side. Look through some of the MR Credits and see what applies to your job in the structural field. For me, it is as much a personal mission as it is a professional one. Having worked in a building were I had "sick building syndrome" for the first 8 months of the job, really hit home for me. 90% of our time is spent indoors, we should be making our time there as pleasant as possible. If you've ever been inside a LEED building, you just physically feel the difference. I spent a few days at USGBC headquartes a few months back, and the time just seems to fly, and my productivity was off the charts.

LEED worth getting? How's compared to PE Power exam? Walk in the park?

question on the CEU.....can we use PE CEU to fulfill the LEED CEU too?

You'll need 6 hours of LEED specific study, but the remaining 24 hours just double dip with all your other CEUs (that's not to say that your LEED specific stuff wouldn't apply to your PE).

Last edited by a moderator:

You'll need 6 hours of LEED specific study, but the remaining 24 hours just double dip with all your other CEUs (that's not to say that your LEED specific stuff wouldn't apply to your PE).
thanks...so the question is

worth getting it? How much i need to do to qualified to take the exam? is the exam is like Bisci, they are in for profit instead of certification etc?

I'm taking the exam on September 30th of this month. Haven't started studying yet but I am taking the LEED GA and LEED AP O+M on the same day within a four hour window...am I screwed? I won't be doing a review course.

The GA exam is pretty straight forward. Know the cores and concepts book, 95% of the questions will come straight from that. The O+M exam much harder, is this the v4 version?

The GA exam is pretty straight forward. Know the cores and concepts book, 95% of the questions will come straight from that. The O+M exam much harder, is this the v4 version?
Yes, they are both v4. v4 started at the end of July this year. The core and concept book is not bad...only 90 something pages and flooded with pictures and large text.

Do you have any project experience with O+M?

When we rewrote the exams, the v4 exams were written to favor those with project experience, since the experience requirements were removed.

Do you have any project experience with O+M?

When we rewrote the exams, the v4 exams were written to favor those with project experience, since the experience requirements were removed.
Yes, I do. Mainly from doing building surveys and being somewhat involved in EBOM reports. I also have an energy audit background.

So i m a sort confused here. to get LEED BD+C, do I need to get the LEED GA first? If so, what's a good study guide out there?

So i m a sort confused here. to get LEED BD+C, do I need to get the LEED GA first? If so, what's a good study guide out there?
There is not much out there, LEED just went to v4 in June or July this year which is slightly different than 2009. I'm taking LEED GA and O+M on the same day this month.

Back