LEED

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my BD+C and have subbed on many jobs to achieve SSC 6.1 and 6.2 (the SWM credits).

Most of the work falls to the architects, that is just a fact, as they hear about these projects long before we on the civil side do.

The GA is like your EIT....you got it, but we know you really don't know sh1t yet

I'm studying for the LEED AP BD+C and the Green Associate Exam. From a preliminary review the material appears to be too broad too memorize in it's entirety as some people are suggesting. Any one out there have a first hand experience of how much of the references I need to memorize, and/or a good approach to getting prepared for it? Are we talking everything down to the calculations required for ever single credit, related credits, step by step implementation, project team, etc? OR is it enough to memorize the credits and the points they are worth?

Hi All,

I posted this questions over in the LEED AP Forum, but may be more appropriate here. I'm studying for the LEED AP BD+C and the Green Associate Exam. From a preliminary review the material appears to be too broad too memorize in it's entirety as some people are suggesting. Any one out there have a first hand experience of how much of the references I need to memorize, and/or a good approach to getting prepared for it? Are we talking everything down to the calculations required for ever single credit, related credits, step by step implementation, project team, etc? OR is it enough to memorize the credits and the points they are worth?

To cut/paste from your post, you need to know: "Are we talking everything down to the calculations required for ever single credit, related credits, step by step implementation, project team, etc?""

You also need to understand synergies, how credits work together, how some do not, know how to use LEED online, know how the administrative process works...you will not see a credit that asks how many points is SSc3 worth. You will see project scenarios that ask how many points is the scenario worth.

John Q - thanks for the reply. So you're confirming that one indeed needs to almost literally memorize the entire reference to pass that exam? I dont see how any one could do this unless they study for 52 weeks or have a photographic memories.

What would you suggest is a good approach for preparing?

Alright...i guess its back to drawing board. The good thing is that its taking my mind off of waiting for the CA PE survey exam results!!! (a little anyway...)

"""John Q - thanks for the reply. So you're confirming that one indeed needs to almost literally memorize the entire reference to pass that exam? I dont see how any one could do this unless they study for 52 weeks or have a photographic memories.

What would you suggest is a good approach for preparing?"""

For the GA, you really just need to focus on the Core Concepts book. Know what LEED is, the different credit categories, etc.

For BD+C, you don't need to MEMORIZE the entire Reference Manual, you just need to know every credit in and out. You need to know how credits work together, and how they don't. You'll see a building scenario, and you'll have to know how many points possible, so you'll need to know how many points are available, you'll need to know why this credit can be applied, and why another can not.

I studied very hard for 6 months for this thing.

I took a review course, and used the CO Chapter Study Guide. I am not sure if they updated that for version 2009. I would strongly urge you to check with your local USGBC chapter, they will almost certainly offer review courses, and study resources.

You really want to get in on the current exam. The v4 exam will be much tougher, we are thinking June/July 2014 for this exam.

The goal is to really beef up the analysis required on the new test. These things never get easier do they?

Good luck! If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Q - thanks for the info. I'm starting to wrap my head around it now. Seems like the bulk of the data will be presented, I just need to be able to recognize how to apply/relate it to credits and the overall process.

I really need to pass this thing before February 1st for my job so I plan on hitting it hard (4 hours/day and 6 Hours on Sat/sun) for all o December and sitting for it early January in case i need to retake it.

Thanks again.

Alright - I'm to the point where I'm scoring above 95% on practice exams (offered by green exam prep - can any one vouch for their claim that an 80% or better is good indicator that you are ready for the actual exam?)

Here are my questions:

What is the difference between Innovation In Design Credits and Exemplary Performance?

EP's are listed under ID Credit 1 - so does that make them ID points as well?

Are ID and Regional priority considered their own credit categories?

How much of the LZ1 - LZ4 table - allowable light trespass do I need to memorize? Every detail or general order?

How much of the refrigerant table do i need to memorize - again every detail or the general order?

lol have you taken it Enviro? Its not difficult in the way that the EIT or the PE and CA -Seismic/survey is challenging (altho i didnt think these exams were that hard - i don't know what all these PEs are always bitching about). However, it requires a ton of memorization, all closed book! But I imagine if they let people go in there with a single sheet of notes the thing would be breeze.

EP is where you exceed a required standard...such as 0 net energy instead of 50% reduction. ID credits can be Pilot Credits, or just something you make up, and present with your project that isn't necessarily a credit.

ID Credit 1 addresses credits that do not have EP points listed (the GA exam will not get deep into the reference guides).

ID and RP are credit categories.

For GA - none, for BD+C, you need to know the difference between zones, and the fc that goes with it.

For the refigerants, know the difference between HCFC's and CFC's and why they are bad...know that natural stuff is good.

Don't get lulled into a false sense of security with the practice tests, especially if you are answering the same questions over and over. The GA exam is going to come 95% from the Core Concepts Book, nothing from the reference guides.

It's the LEED exam, study for 20 minutes and you're good to go. My dog could pass that exam. You're gonna do great with all the work you put in.

Good luck with that one, especially on the questions I wrote.

A lot has changed in 6 years, but even then, I doubt you studied for only 20 minutes, so how about not passing on bad advice.

Now if I can get back providing the requested test advice ....

It's called sarcasm. I studied an hour or two a night for about a month and was severely over-prepared. I think the exam is pointless as it is pure memorization you'll forget a couple of days later.

lol have you taken it Enviro? Its not difficult in the way that the EIT or the PE and CA -Seismic/survey is challenging (altho i didnt think these exams were that hard - i don't know what all these PEs are always bitching about). However, it requires a ton of memorization, all closed book! But I imagine if they let people go in there with a single sheet of notes the thing would be breeze.
Yeah I passed it back in the day. It was getting popular at the time and it was beneficial to get certified. Never really used it much, so it's basically resume candy. Helped us win a couple of jobs over the years.

I looked into the GA and bought a study book. After looking through it though, I changed my mind (for now). I might give it a try some other time, but like some of you already said.... you just memorize stuff, pass the test, forget the material, do not use it again, etc. I wonder why they do not allow reference materials? All of us can reach over and grab reference materials in the workplace when we do not have something memorized. Another thing that was a little discouraging.... we have Administrative Assistants who went out and got certified. Nothing against them, but how much weight can it hold on an engineer's resume?

Like VTEnviro said, I think when it became a big deal, everyone went out and took it, passed and that probably watered down it's value.

The GA holds little credit...it's like the EIT, you can't do anything with it. It is when you take the specialty exams, which require project experience and project knowledge to pass, when they begin to hold weight. As for the Admin Assistants, they will never move past a GA unless they lie about their project experience. All the GA demonstrates is a basic knowledge of sustainable building practice, nothing wrong with an Admin clerk knowing about daylighting techniques.

In the end, it is only as valuable as you make it. Are you just putting letters after your name or on a resume? Or do you actually do work on LEED projects, and can you put your 10 LEED Gold projects on your resume? Do you believe in the mission of the USGBC, or do you not give a crap and could care less about sustainable design?

3 or 4 years back, GBCI implemented the specialty credentials and continuing education. From what I last heard, a huge chunk of previosly credentialled LEED APs did not enroll in con ed, and therefore have no specialty designation, and therefore have a pretty useless credential as they will not even earn their projects an ID point. So we are probably a lot less watered down than what we were in say 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was afraid of the whole memorizing the answers to practice exams thing...I just received some PPI study guide and practice exam in the mail, going to see how i do on that one. We'll keep working on it. thanks for the info John Q. What would you suggest for studying for the home stretch? Re-read material? Re-watch exam prep course (green exam prep) re-take practice exams?

I'm to the point where i can literally write down from memory all credit categories and credit tables along with credit description, points possible, and exemplary performance options for NC/SCH/CS. I think im going to use the brain dump strategy and re-creating this during the 10 min tutorial.

Back