Last thing watched on netflix / Amazon..................

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched the Chernobyl finale.  I think they did a great job, and I appreciated them acknowledging how one of the main characters wasn't real, but embodied a collective of scientists.  

Since "Chernobyl" has been getting some press, I went ahead and watched it this weekend.  I liked it...definitely did well on the "interesting enough to keep me off the iPad" scale.  I saw somewhere that Russia is pissed off and they are already talking about making their own version that is "accurate".

Since "Chernobyl" has been getting some press, I went ahead and watched it this weekend.  I liked it...definitely did well on the "interesting enough to keep me off the iPad" scale.  I saw somewhere that Russia is pissed off and they are already talking about making their own version that is "accurate".
Any my understanding is that it is supposed to emphasize their sniffing out of CIA "spies" among the plant workers.

Finally watched the fifth episode yesterday. The last episode felt different than the rest of the series, but it's hard to put my finger on why. They added some historic moral balance to Jared Harris' character; whereas Stellan Skarsgard's character came out looking better. The power plant managers looked even more cartoonishly evil and incompetent. I really like their decision to wait until the trial episode to explain the events leading up to the accident. The series wouldn't have worked remotely as well if they kept everything in chronological order.

I was also a fan of them using red and blue cards to describe what was going on in the reactor.  Total gross oversimplification, but it worked well. I'm curious if it was well understood by the general audience.

Was Harris' monologue about lies in the original trial? That felt tacked on add emphasis to theme of the series? I also wonder if he really did explicitly site the frugality and stupidity endemic in the USSR. It was well known, but no one was dumb enough to rant about it on the record. ...then again, as the KGB agent implied at the end: if you know that you are going to die of cancer soon, might as well speak the truth and go for the quicker and painless route.

My understanding is that Legasov was not even present at the actual trial, so the bulk of it is pure TV.

Wife has bugged me to watch Kim's Convenience which she recently started.  Sitcom focused on Korean family, actually much funnier than I expected.

started Good Omens on amazon last night.  jury is still out...maybe I need to see more episodes to get the point.  chernobyl is definitely on the list to watch eventually when I have time

Interesting coincidence. Wife works on a mobile medical clinic. The other day a Ukrainian couple came in...she didn’t speak any English, he could speak some. He asked her if she’d watched the show. She hasn’t but she told him that I had. Told her he was an electrical engineer and he was actually at Chernobyl when the shit hit the fan. She asked him if the show was accurate and he said it was. 

Watched the 1st Chernobyl episode - good but also a little depressing- my hbo cancels tomorrow but will catch this one on the flip side...

Watched "The Perfection" on Netflix.  First half was kind of creepy/interesting, then it went off the rails in the second half, with a complete WTF ending.

I finished the new season of Black Mirror over the weekend. It wasn't nearly as dark as the previous season and even had some humorous moments,
I thought they were three of the worst episodes to date.

I still never got past the very first episode!

Finally finished Dead to Me - it defin got better towards the end but that ending as kind of stupid - I imagine instead of calling the cops they will now both try and cover up another murder?

Id kind of like to see Applegate and Hale get drunk and make out? That is happening right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I intentionally didn't rate them in my post above.

I haven't watched the first two seasons yet, so I can't comment on where they fit in the series as a whole. With that said, yes these are the weakest episodes. It's hard to put my finger on it, but they felt like they were trying to make the season too "radio friendly", or maybe the studio injected itself into too many decisions?

Only the first episode seems to match the tone and feel of the rest of the series. The second episode lacked tension and at times felt... idk... forced? third episode... yeah that one was written with ratings and broadening the audience in mind and nothing else, but I actually sorta liked her take on "head like a hole" at the very end.

I finally got around to seeing "The Dirt" - wasn't as shit crazy as I thought, but did anyone else feel like they were trapped in a really long episode of Wayne's World?

Just finshed DARK season 2.  It puts a spin on the time travel paradox "If you go back in time and kill your grandfather will you still exist" to "If you go back in time and you are your grandfather will you still exist".  

Note:  A flowchart is needed to keep track of all the versions of everyone, their relationships to each other, and what timelime they are actually in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back