Killing time waiting for the PCS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Married 9 years... have had 6 Christmases, 4 of my birthdays, 9 of his birthdays, 7 Thanksgivings, 6 anniversaries, 5 new years together and maybe 3 Valentines days... maybe... the years kind of blend together... but I'm sure Sapper could tell a story much like mine as well as many others on this board. The "important" dates become less important and the the every day becomes "important"... I'm not worried this year... we got a 3 day buffer for travel for him to make it home by Christmas :)

I'm sure. Life nowadays is a lot harder than years ago. It's all good though. There isn't anything to be ashamed of by saying therapy. If more people did, there might be less shitty things going on in the world.

I look at it as there are so many more things that can pressure people. Life is more complicated now.

I look at it as there are so many more things that can pressure people. Life is more complicated now.

Here's my deal, maybe I've never said this on EB... but I'll probably never get my PE... in fact, I don't ever think I'll get a job in trafffic engineering again despite my passion for it... sometimes I get ticked off at all of you for your complaints because you will all go further than I will... but then I remind myself... after a not nearly a year on unemployment, when it ran out, I was blessed with a job that pays the bills that can't be paid with my husbands paycheck... and while I make little more than what the McDonalads employees are protesting for, it's enough to provide for what we need.

I openly admit that I wish other people would be honest because every single one of our lives sucks sometimes... but it helps to have others tell us to remember that life can be good and it can be worse and we need to remember 'when we don't have any shoes, we must be thankful for our feet' I forget to be thankful often, but I'm thankful for those who remind me to be thankful.

no intent to preach, I'm just getting a buzz about now ;)

See. This is what I was referring to. Ordinarily, people and myself included, feel the pressure to get their license from their peers, job, sometimes family members. In doing so, they don't keep the simple aspects of life in check. Because things could always be worse as you eluded to.

My reason for for getting my license is not just for the tile and money, but it was a goal I set for myself. A goal because I was told I couldn't do it. Wouldn't make it. Always compared to sisters and cousins saying, "why aren't your grades like theirs? Why can't you be better like them?" A employer telling me that maybe becoming an engineer wasn't for me. Well, I was the first in my entire family, ever, to graduate college, Cum Laute. Passed the EIT and on the cusp of reaching my goal. This is to prove me right as much as it is to prove them wrong.

Army and no sandbox this year THANK GOD!!!...  he'll be home for Christmas, as long as the weather doesn't screw up his travel because it's close... but thank you both... I wanted to order him the 6 month sampler...  but that is a no go on my budget...  so I'm reminding myself that I have a job and thankful that I can spend $85 on 4 pizzas and get them shipped to VA and have them waiting for him...

I also got him a GPS watch, a bunch of running gear (complete with bodyglide), and some Bears and Cubs stuff...  we had one heck of a year and I think we are both trying to over-do Christmas to make up for it.  Plus I've been putting mega miles on his car while mine has stayed parked at the airport for most of the last few months so I feel a little guilty.   
A big thank you to him from VA. It's men like yours who do what they do that allows the rest of us to do what we do. Thank you as well for supporting him through the hard and lonely times. I have friends stationed around the world and see how hard it is on families. You're all special people and deserve our respect. Here's to hoping you have a great Christmas together. God bless.

Back