Keeping in shape as an Engineer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Engineers! Please share your biggest 2 challenges when it comes to keeping unwanted weight off and being in shape.
Not eating junk food and eating healthy.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy working out and getting stronger and I think physical exercise is very important. However, diet the biggest factor when it comes to weight loss and weight gain. Simply eating healthy, even with a desk job, can prevent weight gain. Eating healthy means eating the right food, at the right time, and in the right amounts.

FYI, I joined a gym that has an obstacle course.  Not sure how many times I can get to it before Christmas/when I travel home, but really excited!  I think a big thing about trying to keep in shape, at least for me, is variety.  I don't mind doing the same thing in the gym if it's in different orders, but being told to scramble over some logs/whatever actually made me...not feel as out of breath, even though it was cardio?  Idk how my mind works.

So I went to the gym for the first time since starting my new workout routine (my grandma goes and invited me to join her, although I elected to hit the weights while she used the machines). Gotta say it was intimidating. Maybe it’s because i’m Naturally an introvert, but I felt very self conscious about what I was doing.

I think thats pretty normal.  I havent gone to a public gym much but the few times i did were pretty intimidating.  

Yeah, I think everyone feels that way when they are starting out. (Some more than others I'm sure.) It definitely helps to have a gym buddy. But it also improves as you keep going.

So I went to the gym for the first time since starting my new workout routine (my grandma goes and invited me to join her, although I elected to hit the weights while she used the machines). Gotta say it was intimidating. Maybe it’s because i’m Naturally an introvert, but I felt very self conscious about what I was doing.
That's why I eventually bought equipment for the house.

One day I was working out, doing some bench press. I thought I was progressing well, knowing where I started. I was happy with my results. Then one day after I finished a set, a guy walked up to me and said, "I was in the same position as you when I first started. I couldn't hardly bench anything and it took awhile for the weight to get up. Keep on it and I know you'll get there one day."

I know he was trying to be nice, but man that was embarrassing since I had been working out for like a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know he was trying to be nice, but man that was embarrassing
This is why, to the best of my ability in my personal and professional life, I try to keep my trap shut. (Unless asked a direct question or if something unsafe is about to happen.) 

On topic: signed up for a handful of mountain bike/half marathon events sprinkled throughout 2020 so that will, hopefully, be a good motivator. Plus, I've done most of these events before so it will be nice to have something to compare it to. Also, no booze will help. Not that I'm a big drinker, but unless I'm celebrating something, it'll be a dry house for the foreseeable future. We're starting with January and see how it goes. Bye bye Bobaritas!

This is why, to the best of my ability in my personal and professional life, I try to keep my trap shut. (Unless asked a direct question or if something unsafe is about to happen.)
Why I'm quiet in person: Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues.

Can't have people knowing I'm stupid. lol

That's why I eventually bought equipment for the house.

One day I was working out, doing some bench press. I thought I was progressing well, knowing where I started. I was happy with my results. Then one day after I finished a set, a guy walked up to me and said, "I was in the same position as you when I first started. I couldn't hardly bench anything and it took awhile for the weight to get up. Keep on it and I know you'll get there one day."

I know he was trying to be nice, but man that was embarrassing since I had been working out for like a year.
Yeah, people say some dumb stuff. He probably was trying to be nice, but also should have a little more tact. I'm guessing either he's just socially akward or he's projecting his own insecurities onto you. I've learned that people's negativity is more about them than it is about whoever their target is. 

Leg day again today. Lunges. Kill me.

I did do better than my first day, though. Also i’m Down 10lbs in 2 weeks. :)

Worked out three days in a row so far. I feel I have made a huge mistake.

Also I apparently have weak triceps and can’t do push-ups worth a darn. Areas of improvement...

Worked out three days in a row so far. I feel I have made a huge mistake.

Also I apparently have weak triceps and can’t do push-ups worth a darn. Areas of improvement...
Keep at it! I'm inspired by all you smart, dedicated people! I basically do 100% cardio so....I probably couldn't do more than 5 push ups.

Keep at it! I'm inspired by all you smart, dedicated people! I basically do 100% cardio so....I probably couldn't do more than 5 push ups.
I’m guessing you also don’t weigh nearly 300 lbs. but I suppose weight doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with it.

Also I wish I had your endurance. I don’t think I can pull off 100 yards jogging without getting winded

I’m down 16 lbs from my original starting point and my clothes are noticeably looser. Great feeling, but not done yet!

I actually got off track last week because of work travel, but maybe it actually helped me since I felt like I was plateauing a bit.

Yay!!!  Great job, @ChebyshevII PE!  Keep going!  You were killing the fitbit group last week!

I'm not sure if I'm plateauing, but I've added strength training to round out my workout to a 3x a week (boot camp Monday, strength Wednesday, and kickboxing Sunday).  I want to try and give myself at least one or two rest days after each gym class since the boot camp classes go hard/I don't want to completely die and the strength training session def led to some swelling due to me being dehydrated during the winter.  I'm also going to do a couch to 5k thing with my gym.  Trainer explained that the weekend sessions would be a combo of exercises to highlight correct form, run-through of how the 5k run should go, techniques to get through the run without giving up, and 'homework' assignments to run certain distances during the week.  There will also be people who are going from 5k to half marathon. 

I know some people run a lot more than this/done actual marathons, but I am psyching myself up for this!  I'm going to register soon for the 5k (it's only $40), but I already feel the tingles or nervousness and wondering what I'm doing.  I've never...run before in my life, tbh.  So I'm wondering if this will help or hinder me (aka; I get so discouraged I never run again).  Here's fingers crossed that, even if I don't like running, I can still do a couple of 5ks and not be total trash!

I'm also hoping to roll some horseback riding into my schedule again, so, idk if that'll help me lose more weight/get more fit, but I enjoy it.

The good news is that I finally got to use my rope climbs in a class today..... but apparently I was supposed to wear longer socks???

3b7e3a987915683ee9041cd73e1b3406.jpg

The good news is that I finally got to use my rope climbs in a class today..... but apparently I was supposed to wear longer socks???

3b7e3a987915683ee9041cd73e1b3406.jpg
I know the feeling! I wasn't warned beforehand when we did rope climbs in class. RX+ no feet??

Back