Keeping in shape as an Engineer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The method were instructed to use is the legs start and end at a 90 degree angle from the starting position, back is straight, and its all legs until your legs are fully extended and then finish it off with the arms, If i had to guess its a 2/3 lower body exercise. 

You can defin feel it in the back but the main movement is generated from the legs.

I will probably regret it but I signed up to do a marathon row this January - not sure how long that is going to take but I guess a while...

Different routines may use it for different things but this is close to the method were using:

Does an actual crew rower have the same "kicking" feel that this one does? Ive always felt like this was mostly a leg workout (they way we use them at our gym)

usually its like, do 20 calories, then go for a sprint or some other nonsense!
Technically, when rowing you want it to be a smooth kinda circular/oval movement.  If you 'kick' with your legs on the water, your oar could end up getting caught and jerking everything around and getting everyone else pissed at you.  Just looking at that video, I feel like the guy is not going far enough 'into' his legs and the 'push out' motion is ultra exaggerated.  When you push you're supposed to be using your core to pull in your arms

Check this out/look at their form (yes, they're rowing, but you do exactly the same on the machine only you don't follow the oar path to the left/right):

That's cool so the chair slides back and forth?  I had never really noticed?

I call it kicking cause most people dislike the rower so I tell them to "kick the ****" out of it...

I used to go to a rowing studio, and really enjoyed it. Definitely was an incredibly good full-body workout. I agree about it being less about your legs and more about your back and core.

man that chubby guy was going to town on the rower!

Which is a Quads and Upper Thigh workout for the most part :D

Forget these thin lanky guys, they just need half a dozen World's Strongest Man competitors: https://digg.com/video/strong-man-rowing
For a moment I was terrified, and then I realized the boat would capsize/sink before they were even able to take one row.  

@Road Guy, even with this guy, see how far forward he goes?  The legs are mostly just there to help you increase your arm/back movements (thus why the seat slides).  I feel like if this was meant to be a leg exercise, the seat wouldn't move but the feet would be able to go in/out like for a v-up or suitcase exercise.

Thank you for the responses guys, super helpful. I'm starting my coaching/consulting business for my fellow engineers/tech people and trying to understand their problems better. I have been conducting some interviews with people on the phone and if anyone of you interested, I'd be thrilled to have a call with you and ask you couple questions about the struggles you are having when it comes to keeping in shape/healthy. Again, thank you so much for your input!

The power lifter dude is “doing it wrong”

From the manufacturer here are the muscles worked - I agree it’s an endurance workout but if done right it’s hitting the legs. You don’t pull on the rope until your legs are fully extendedzz

024779571182af28f5c4fb4b299b40f7.jpg

Yeah I've never "crewed" but I do own a Concept2 and used their videos to develop what they define as good form, and it definitely uses the legs, but smoothly and evenly with the core, back, and arms.  And supposedly this technique is for actual rowers on actual boats, but what do I know. 

Plus all those skinny bitches in the rowing / crew video all have chicken arms and shoulders?

I’ll tell ya the most beneficial thing I ever did was buy an incline/decline bench and a weight set with two adjustable dumbbells. It basically allows you to do every workout for every body part and since it’s at your house, you guilt yourself to do it regardless of the time. 

On 11/10/2019 at 6:31 AM, sisoj said:Hey Engineers! Please share your biggest 2 challenges when it comes to keeping unwanted weight off and being in shape.
Prior to taking the most recent exam, I was walking koko head twice a week. For those who don’t know koko head, it is an approximate 1000 step climb up an approximate 40° slope on train tracks. Combined with a keto diet, lost 16 lbs in about a month with only a little belly fat. While waiting for the result, have put on about 10 lbs but still jog a bit. I have found that calorie counting is the best thing to follow to keep weight in check.

Back