Job Outlook for Geotechnical Engineers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon777

Reaction score
I am a student studying civil engineering and was wondering how the job outlook for geo tech engineering is compared to the other areas of civil?

Also I was wondering if I should be keeping certain text books? Did you guys find use for your books in the office or for the pe?

I am a student studying civil engineering and was wondering how the job outlook for geo tech engineering is compared to the other areas of civil?
Also I was wondering if I should be keeping certain text books? Did you guys find use for your books in the office or for the pe?
I would guess that it's about the same as most Civil/Structurals now, a little slow.

I started out of college working with a major geotech firm and I did use my books some, but not much.

A word of warning about geotech, you will write the same report over and over and over again.

"Dear Client,

We have drilled X borings. We found X soil. The site concerns are X. The recommended bearing pressure is X (Lab test/FS). Recommend using us for testing, then page after page of disclaimers from ASFE. "

or

You will be testing materials like a grunt (not that there's anything wrong with that).

It takes a special personality to do it. Please spend some time with a good firm as an intern to see if it's a good fit. Recommend you have a alternate emphasis area before you graduate. Good luck.

Back