Jeep Liberty Broken Electric Window

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryannette

Wise One
Reaction score
Anybody have a Jeep Liberty that had an electric window mechanism fail? We have a 2004. Mechanism broke and my husband took it apart. No after-market parts available. Can anybody share helpful info?

Last edited by a moderator:
^ We have a 2004 Liberty but we haven't had any problems with it so far. Unfortunately, you're not likely to find much in the way of aftermarket parts for something like that.

Have you tried any of the local salvage yards? The Liberty has been around long enough that there should be a few wrecked that may offer up a good used part for a lot less than "factory new".

Mary:

search for a replacement part on ebay. I've had good luck with getting relatively obscure parts.

Also, try some local salvage yards to see if you can pick one off of a wreck.

Apparently, this is a common problem with Jeeps. I had a 1997 Cherokee and both the driver and passenger side windows went out in the first two years. I think some of the cost was covered by warrantee, and I am sure it did not cost $300 at the time.

yeah, a salvage yard / junk yard would be good place to check. . .the model year is new enough that accident salvages may be your best hope, & the model is popular enough that some yard should have an idea of where to find something like that. good luck!

Yeah, except for driver's window. Thanks, we'll check and see if we can get other side.

Chrysler is infamous for bad power windows. usually that plastic strip that looks like it came of an SSP set is what goes. IIRC, the electric motors are the same used back in the 60s (my 69 Charger and 91 Shadow had the same motors).

Anybody have a Jeep Liberty that had an electric window mechanism fail? We have a 2004. Mechanism broke and my husband took it apart. No after-market parts available. Can anybody share helpful info?
I was gonna ask if it's just the regulator and not the motor, but it looks as if they are combined into one part on that vehicle.

That sucks, because a regulator usually isn't that much.

Whoa, sorry to hear about the window thing breaking.

The same thing happened to my 2001 Focus maybe 4 months ago. When the motor busted it actually sounded like a belt snapped.

$600 later, I have a fixed window but a dealer laughing all the way to the bank.

my sister's alero has had the same problem. The power window motor has gone out twice and the belt broke another. When the belt broke, the window also broke.

[rant]

Why do cars have to have power everything these days? I mean come on, is it really that hard to crank down a window? Powering up everything just creates more things to break. With hand-crank windows, I used to be able to crank down the window even if it was iced up. But the motors don't put out enough torque to do the job.

Now I see SUVs that have power folding seats. Are people really that lazy and useless?

[/rant]

Yeah....but you will have to wait until next year since they are shutting down for one month.

Didn't you hear that the "car czar" is going to fix all of these problems? I bet he or she will have this whole shitty domestic auto business structure figured out in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back