Jeep Liberty Broken Electric Window

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't you hear that the "car czar" is going to fix all of these problems? I bet he or she will have this whole shitty domestic auto business structure figured out in a couple of weeks.
:dunno: and honestly...do not care. I drive a Toyota Corolla(09)....an avg of 36 mpg baby...heck ohhhh yeah!!!!!!!!

:bio:

Actually I believe that we can thank the glorious imports and thier "option packages" for this. There was a time when you could oder a new car and go down the list and select only the options that you wanted. Of course this meant that line workers actually had to look at the "build sheet for each vehicle and conciously recognize that either this particular car got the option or it did not.

In the interest of "efficiency" the foreign manufactureers created "trim levels" LE, SE, etc. These cars all have the saem option groups and the buyer can't add or subtract from them. Thus if you want anything better than the econo-model you need to egt power windows AND (not OR) locks, etc.

Back in the good old days you could order power locks and manual windows if you wanted. It was called individualism and freedom of choice.

Actually I believe that we can thank the glorious imports and thier "option packages" for this. There was a time when you could oder a new car and go down the list and select only the options that you wanted. Of course this meant that line workers actually had to look at the "build sheet for each vehicle and conciously recognize that either this particular car got the option or it did not.
In the interest of "efficiency" the foreign manufactureers created "trim levels" LE, SE, etc. These cars all have the saem option groups and the buyer can't add or subtract from them. Thus if you want anything better than the econo-model you need to egt power windows AND (not OR) locks, etc.

Back in the good old days you could order power locks and manual windows if you wanted. It was called individualism and freedom of choice.
Darn... I do not remember that. I am not that old. :party-smiley-048:

Obvious question here, but which manufacturers are successful and which ones are whining like little bitches because they can't make any money? Maybe the foreign manufacturers did it because that made production cheaper.

^ True. I couldn't get cruise control in my 1991 Toyota MR2 without having power windows and locks come along in the deal. Pretty silly having those options in a car where I can reach the passenger side door without even leaning over.

I special ordered a GMC truck in 1994 where I went down the list of what I did and didn't want. I had to wait 8 weeks for it to come in but it was really nice having the EXACT vehicle I wanted. Every vehicle since then has been a matter of finding something "close enough" sitting on the lot.

Whether you buy their cars or not, they get your money. Either way, they're cool.

Thanks. Haven't tried salvage yard, but will. Maybe e-bay, too.
Some of the more modern salvage yards are networked with Copart (CPRT) where they can have your part traded out with another salvage yard that is networked together. IF they don't have it, they will be able to get it for a small premium and shipping. It will save you a lot of time driving around and calling for parts. Also, some of the body repair places are linked in with Copart to find the salvage parts as well.

This is so frustrating!! I have a 2006 Liberty CRD and this has happened to me 3 times, believe it or not. Always the back seat windows. It has been the motor every time. Luckily they have been replaced under warranty. We even bought the extended warranty and made sure that it would cover this problem because it seems to happen quite frequently. One of our other friends has an '06 gas Libby and the dealership kept trying to blame the fact that the window 'kept falling' on the dogs licking the window. Good grief!

Didn't you know dog slobber is one of the better lubricants out there? Obviously, said slobber caused the window to fall, thus breaking the motor.

Says the human to two dogs who lick the windows in his vehicles.

I'm glad I didn't buy that Patriot now. Not because of the power windows (didn't have them) but because I wonder if Chryco will be around this time next year.

As a former grease monkey, I'd definitely search for a replacement at the boneyard. Usually junkyard electronics and electrical parts are to be avoided, but with a car this new it should be fine.

Chrysler is known for electrical problems like this, so it should only be a matter of time until some aftermarket addresses it, or you should be able to do research yourself as to why their failure rate is so high and tinker with the motor and make it work more reliably.

Back