ITT ABET accredited?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the consensus here too. This was a big sticking point at the college I went to. There the degree was Manufacturing Engineering Technology. While the college is ABET accredited and the Manufacturing Engineering Technology degree was a bachelors of science degree, it is not an engineering degree, and the ITT tech degree isn't even a bachelors degree at that. Don't get me wrong there isn't anything wrong with these degrees but you aren't an Engineer.

Here is what I have seen since I have friends that saw the MET program and thought this is a way easier program and I am still and Engineer, (even though they really aren't). Their starting pay was about the same between an engineer and the tech job, and in some cases higher. But now that we have been out of school for 10+ years the engineers pay have jumped significantly, probably due to experience, or becoming managers, but the tech jobs have hardly changed.

You have to remember even though it is hard to see now, in the engineering field experience is everything and until you get that experience your pay is lower, but as soon as you do your pay jumps quickly.

and all the guys in sales or marketing that have junk degrees with big salaries laugh at all the Engineering Degrees, ET Degrees, ITT certificates, etc all the way to the bank....

IE Steve-- I would try hard for an internship. That will help buttress your resume and not interfere with grad school. Full time work MAY interfere with grad school--- if you have the good fortune of going to graduate school, you want to get the most out of it that you can.

I clearly recognize the need for money-- things are tough today-- however, really take advantage of all that graduate school has to offer--the payback is awesome. Hit the FE hard-- get that done-- I do recall that you told us that you had not yet taken it.

I am working on a series of articles for the IE magazine addressing professional registration issues. We have developed the framework and are hitting it hard with tools to help you get licensed. Actually, these articles apply to any discipline-- kind of a different approach to getting an individual motivated to get licensed.

Stay focused--this will work.

Just to concur with a lot that has already been said, I think it's important for all recent graduates and especially young adults to keep sight of long term professional growth and goals and not the instant rewards or gratification that you may get from taking other routes or shortcuts. And not to say trade schools or BS technology degrees are shortcuts because those types of degrees with additional education and/or specific professional experience are often viewed as valuable or even more valuable in some instances than engineering degrees, but you really have to focus on your educational and professional development and not so much others. I would STRONGLY advise you to consider graduate school if you're not finding much luck in the job market. I advised my brother who graduated last year with a BS in Mechanical Engineering to go to grad school and maybe within a year or two, the job market would approve. Well, he took my advise and not only did he go to graduate school, he found a fellowship that paid for his graduate school and he's already got a job lined up after he finishes in July that's paying him about 15K more than most of his peers that graduated with him from undergrad and chose to go straight into the workforce.

So... I'd like to shed some light on this topic since there is a misconception about ITT Tech grads.

- Yes, ITT Tech has been shut down as of 2016.

- Yes, they offer engineering technology degrees

- Yes, it's accreditation was not on par with the likes of MIT, UCSD, Harvard, etc...

- Yes, I graduated from ITT tech in 2004 with an electrical engineering technology degree from a 3 year program.

- Yes. I make a six figure income.

- Yes, I am an engineer. My official title is Project Engineer. I lead engineering teams on projects and act as the bridge between the programs office and engineering team. I started out as an engineering technician during my second year of school. Promoted to an electrical engineer soon after graduation. Before I graduated I applied to many other companies and was turned down due to my degree being from ITT. Hiring managers were not shy to tell me this.

- No. I have no other degrees. However I will be receiving my project management certificate and PMP certificate to supplement my current skills and credentials.

- Yes. I work with MANY other engineers who graduated from the same program I did (different class) and are Electrical Engineers, Test Engineers (LabView), Designers, Program Managers, Software engineers, Managers of different departments, Engineering Directors, projects engineers, project managers, I can go on and on and on.

- Yes, I participated in being part of a commercial for ITT Tech

- Yes i work for a privately owned company who is well known in the unmanned aircraft industry who is winning contracts while competing with the likes of Boeing, Northrup Grumman, L3, etc...

- Yes, I joined ITT Tech lobbyist in Washington DC back in the mid 2000's to stop a bill from passing that would not allow federal money to be used for private schools (Devry, ITT Tech, Coleman College, any college that was not part of the public school system like UCLA, UCSD, UND, etc...) I visited the offices of Diane Feinstein, Barbara Boxer, Bilbray, Duncan. Feinstein and Boxer turned us away without blinking an eye only after they agreed to meet with us in the lobby for discussions instead of in their office. Bilbray and Duncan met with us in their office and vowed to fight this bill.

- Yes. Shutting down ITT Tech is the first step to shutting down all other non-publicly funded colleges. I'm talking from my experience in DC.

- NO. I am not brainwashed. I am intelligent and can think for myself. 

ITT Tech gave me an environment that worked for my personality. Their instructors were working individuals in the field of engineering who taught part time. I am still dumb founded that ITT tech grads are placed in a box with the label "Not qualified due to graduating from ITT Tech" I work along side some of the brightest engineers from all sorts of colleges. I also work along side some of the most unqualified people... I wont call out the school they graduated from because the point of this post is to steer us away from labeling people based on the school they graduated from.

My point is get to know the individual. Does his resume look good but you are reluctant to interview because the words ITT Tech is on his her resume? Oh stop it with the profiling and you'll be surprised! 

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I hope it sheds some light on what you can get out of an ITT Tech grad whether it be working with you or for you.

Success comes before work, only in the dictionary.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, but can you transfer you degree to another school to continue your education or sit for the FE or PE?

- Yes, I am an engineer. My official title is Project Engineer...
Can you call yourself an "Engineer" in front of others and on your business card? I don't know the rules, but in many states it maybe a protected title. 

I agree with your assertion about knowing a person as in individual is more important than the college/diploma mill he/she attended. However, I question the legality of posing yourself as an engineer if it a protected title in your state. Please check the legality so that you and your organization can stay out of trouble.

a81804019f6f612db73349908e6bf3be.jpg

First, Thank you for the info that in this thread it has helped me a lot.

When I got out of the military I wanted to be an Engineer, so I looked around and went to ITT thinking that I would graduate and get to work in the field I wanted. The whole time I went there I was told that I was in the engineering program and I would be an Engineer. After graduation reality hit me in the face when I found out that my "degree" was useless. When I contacted ITT about the problem they suggested I go back to school and get my masters.....which I tried but my credits are useless too. I thankfully managed to get a job as a electronics technician so, I am ahead of most graduates. So here I sit G.I. Bill gone, a useless degree and stuck.

I am posting for two reasons;

1. I understand your opinions about ITT grads, and don't disagree in most cases. But, for people like me that went there legitimately thinking they were going to be something just to find out they weren't sucks bad. I know personally I worked two jobs and went to school, I put in the effort with barely anything to show. Try at least not to put people down or belittle them, they are in a hard enough spot as it is, and are just trying to make something out of the s%!t sandwich they were given.

2. What can I do now, I am going back to school....again....yay freshman year......again. I don't think I have any legal recourse so im not sure where to go from here. I am working in engineering....as a technician... any suggestions?

Back