Is this your pet peeve too?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I understand the Professional Engineers Act in California is that there are no restrictions for the use of "Engineer" as you guys keep referring to. http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/licensees/pe_act.pdf See section 6732, page 10. Unless I am missing it, there is no mention that the use of the term "Engineer" is restricted to only those who are licensed. It does, however, specifically state it is unlawful to use the term Registered Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Civil Engineer, etc., etc. Maybe other states are different?

The California statue is more specific than many states. Section 6732 of the California Professional Engineers Act is much more descriptive than many other states. In many states, the simple use of the term "Engineer" is prohibited if not licensed as a licensed/registered professional engineer.in that specific state. Appears that California is different in that regard than many other states.

The California statue is more specific than many states. Section 6732 of the California Professional Engineers Act is much more descriptive than many other states. In many states, the simple use of the term "Engineer" is prohibited if not licensed as a licensed/registered professional engineer.in that specific state. Appears that California is different in that regard than many other states.
I believe you solo but, just to satisfy my curiosity, could you link me to a State Board's Engineer's Act forbidding the use of "Engineer" if not licensed? Thanks.

This is a very gray area and I am glad that I get to read differing opinions on it too. I am an EIT but when I applied for my mortgage, I used Civil Engineer as my occupation - if I wrote Engineer-In-Training they would probably start asking questions. Unfortunately like it has been stated before, EIT makes it sound like I wear diapers and need my and held for every step of the process....regardless, I still tell people what I am when they ask; if anything it opens an opportunity for some conversation regarding the steps to become a true PE and how far I have actually come.

I do get a bit offended when people who never took all the classes and exams proudly call themselves an "engineer" - my father-in-law is one of them. He does building maintenance and is dubbed an engineer by everyone he works with...it has to do with the "politically correct" nature of the term, it makes everyone feel better about themselves, except a registered engineer.

My other pet peeve (besides the one in this post) is South Dakota State alum who think they have a prayer at 3:00 PM on Saturday, Dec. 1st in Fargo. :)

Ok, all jokes aside... My wife's cousin calls herself an engineer. I got crabby with my sister-in-law once about their cousing saying "oh, I'm an engineer" The sister-in-law said "Well, she is only like one semester from getting that degree, she just changed her mind later" I said "so... no degree... thats like me saying I'm a Medical Dr. because I took a year of med school" She didnt' seem to find the humor....

I think the problem is the state(s) don't harp real hard on the use of the title unless it will be used "for hire" The consulting firms in ND are careful how they use the term, but other (exempt) industries are not. Same laws apply, so I'd like to see the state going and hammering on those companies for thinking they can title their positions as "engineers" when in fact they are not.

This is definitely a pet peeve of mine.

One of my wife's friends and I were making small talk at a party. After I told her I am an electrical engineer, she told me she is an "Engineering Project Manager," one who is in charge of engineers at a major cellular provider company. Later when I asked her where she went to school, she admitted that she didn't have a bachelors degree.

I tried not to be rude, but I'm sure I gave her a confounded look. In my head, I was thinking, "So you're definitely NOT an engineering manager then." She went on to brag about her "demanding job duties." I was thoroughly irritated at that point and started asking her technical questions. I took several wireless communications classes in college, so I asked her a few things she should know as an engineering manager for a major wireless provider. She gave me that "dear in the headlights" look and changed the subject.

Hopefully she doesn't go around bragging about her "engineering" job anymore, but I doubt it.

a friend of mine is an Architect, from a family of Architects in NYC. We were in a corner store getting coffee when a woman neither of us knew was commenting on being an Architect (we both now live in the country with a small population). Long and short of the story, she is a "Landscape Architect". I am sure Doctors have similar gripes.

Well, there are probably Medical Doctors that feel a Chiropractor, dentist, or optomistrist shouldn't be calling themselves Doctors either.

to ee1234: That isn't such a stretch for your wife's friend really. my last employer, we had a VP-Operations who knew nothing about operations, and of his direct reports (the one that was in my chain of command) also knew nothing about operations... neither did my boss who was supposed to be the electric operations go-to.

I think the problem with the "management" titles is that many companies and their HR lackeys don't seem to think that engineers should be supervised by engineers... They seem to think ANYONE can supervise those engineers-just manage people! I think that is actually a bigger pet peave of mine than the title. It's managers who know nothing about the area they manage.

I wouldn't expect our VP-Operations to be an "expert" in all areas-but I would expect him to be an expert in at least a few areas he was supposed to be herding... and the areas he wasn't he should have been finding experts to cover those in his direct report structure. But what do I know?

to ee1234: That isn't such a stretch for your wife's friend really. my last employer, we had a VP-Operations who knew nothing about operations, and of his direct reports (the one that was in my chain of command) also knew nothing about operations... neither did my boss who was supposed to be the electric operations go-to.

I think the problem with the "management" titles is that many companies and their HR lackeys don't seem to think that engineers should be supervised by engineers... They seem to think ANYONE can supervise those engineers-just manage people! I think that is actually a bigger pet peave of mine than the title. It's managers who know nothing about the area they manage.
I'm sure that is quite common. However, this woman is in her mid-twenties, with no college degree, without any management experience, and is, according to my wife, a pathological liar. Her "dear in the headlights" look told me everything I needed to know. If I had any doubts while talking to her, I would have hesitated calling her out on her BS.

I am so happy I am not the only one who feels this way. I wish they would quit watering down the title of "engineer'". You either have a degree or you dont. Because those of us that worked hard to get it seem to be no different than those that get bestowed the title "Sales Engineer". What does that even mean?? If people look up the meaning "engineer" they would see how often they use it wrong in giving peopel titles.

I am so happy I am not the only one who feels this way. I wish they would quit watering down the title of "engineer'". You either have a degree or you dont. Because those of us that worked hard to get it seem to be no different than those that get bestowed the title "Sales Engineer". What does that even mean?? If people look up the meaning "engineer" they would see how often they use it wrong in giving peopel titles.
GE, I think what others are saying is that a degree still doesn't give you the right to call yourself an Engineer, only registration does.

The law in CO only speaks to what you're able to advertise your professional services as. I've been referred to as an engineer since the first day I set foot in engineering school, but I wasn't able to offer professional engineering services until I got my license.

Well, the first company (Fortune 500) that hired me right out of college gave me the title "associate engineer". So as far as they were concerned, I was an engineer whether or not I had my PE.

The law in CO only speaks to what you're able to advertise your professional services as. I've been referred to as an engineer since the first day I set foot in engineering school, but I wasn't able to offer professional engineering services until I got my license.
I personally am fine with calling you an engineer since you went to school for engineering and graduated with an engineering degree whether you have a stamp or not, what bothers me is when you see diesel engineer programs (diesel mechanic) or facilities engineer (college campus lead facilites guy)

My other pet peeve (besides the one in this post) is South Dakota State alum who think they have a prayer at 3:00 PM on Saturday, Dec. 1st in Fargo. :)

Ok, all jokes aside... My wife's cousin calls herself an engineer. I got crabby with my sister-in-law once about their cousing saying "oh, I'm an engineer" The sister-in-law said "Well, she is only like one semester from getting that degree, she just changed her mind later" I said "so... no degree... thats like me saying I'm a Medical Dr. because I took a year of med school" She didnt' seem to find the humor....

I think the problem is the state(s) don't harp real hard on the use of the title unless it will be used "for hire" The consulting firms in ND are careful how they use the term, but other (exempt) industries are not. Same laws apply, so I'd like to see the state going and hammering on those companies for thinking they can title their positions as "engineers" when in fact they are not.
Wow, I am not sure what team SDSU sent to that game saturday but it certainly wasn't the football team. I guess they were with the Nebraska football team.

Neither team sent the same team they did what a month ago. Either way, first time into the playoffs is pretty cool. Hopefully both teams can keep playing at that level.

At the same time though, you can get people with creative titles. My old company called anyone not a degreed, licensed engineer a project manager or something like that. The thing is it complies with the law, but it's still implied that person is an engineer because he works for an engineering firm.

I work on a project where the GC has a guy with the title "Field Structural Engineer". 20something years old and didn't even go to college. If i pass this Oct PE exam and add those letters after my name it still won't look as cool as this guy's faux title.

I work on a project where the GC has a guy with the title "Field Structural Engineer". 20something years old and didn't even go to college. If i pass this Oct PE exam and add those letters after my name it still won't look as cool as this guy's faux title.
This bothers me to no end! No degree but their title says "engineer" in it. That's why my story above is so bothersome.

I don't get bothered at all if someone with a BS in engineering wants to call themselves an engineer, PE stamp or not.

Back