iOS 7.0 - not impressed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My last phone was an S3 and I really liked it. That being said, my wife and I now both have the Moto X. It is, hands down, my favorite phone it have ever owned, by far. It's the right size, has great battery life and the voice command features actually work intuitively. Plus it doesn't have all of the bloat that Samsung devices do.

If you do switch to android, expect a little bit of a learning curve. It is different, but in a very good way IMHO.

Got the new 5C up and running at full capacity. Too damn complicated for me. Give me my flip phone back.

Got my 5 unlocked and jailbroken. Time to have some fun!

iOS 7.0.4 is much better now!

Got my 5 unlocked and jailbroken. Time to have some fun!

iOS 7.0.4 is much better now!
:plusone: Well done!

What do you gain from one that's jailbroke(n) (sp?)?
The freedom to do what you want with your device which IMO, is the way it should always be given that we pay high premiums for these devices. Without trying to go on a rant too much here, we should be allowed to install/remove whatever we want on our phones. But the commercial contracts that vendors have with cell providers makes that otherwise. Rooting/jail-breaking gives you in essence "admin rights". So you can install/remove whatever you want. You also are able to install a separate group of apps that actually require root access. Apps that can control your phone in a way that would otherwise be prohibited if you did not have root access.

To take it a step further, once rooted, you can also install your own operating system (commonly referred to as a "ROM"). Which gives you even more flexibility and customizations. I do my miss my custom ROM on my HTC Thunderbolt. It was so much more responsive and extended battery life a good deal too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still need to root my HTC Evo since Sprint pre-installs a boatload of programs and then won't let you delete them (Blockbuster App, Sprint TV, Nascar, etc)

That's what's good from my end about rooting.

I'm probably opening pandora's box here, but what am I missing out on? I'm pretty happy with Apples setup and there are millions of apps to choose from. I would like to delete some useless ones, but I just move them to the back page and never have to look at them.

^ and that's probably all you really need to do if your satisfied with that route. Rooting and/or installing custom ROMs is pretty advanced and can be quite daunting/time consuming. It also generally voids any type of warranty you might have on your device. There's also the potential to "brick" your phone if things go awry.

I'm probably opening pandora's box here, but what am I missing out on?  I'm pretty happy with Apples setup and there are millions of apps to choose from.  I would like to delete some useless ones, but I just move them to the back page and never have to look at them.
Additional apps that are banned from the apple store that give you more control and functionality. For me, one of my favorites is morse code, can type using just two buttons if you know code.

Another good one, Pdf printer for safari, can print any document to pdf from any application without ads or fees (buggy in 7 right now though).

Swipe to kill, one swipe kills all running apps instead of going thru one by one.

Ccsettings - control the control center available toggles. Many of stock that i think r useless and are now completely hidden.

wifi passwords- shows password for all secured systems you've connected to should you need the password to get another device connected.

Many others, most are free. Above are just a few that i have used and appreciate.

Yes, it does void the warranty, but one thing you do while on tech support calls is restore the device to see if that corrects it. This will remove the jailbreak and the warranty is again valid.

Not for everyone, but i recommend evasi0n over all other available jailbreaks.

blybrook - I just jailbroke my piece of crap with evasi0n, which I've done before with my older phone on a lower iOS, so I'm not new to this game, but WTF, cydia didn't install!!! So, basically I have a jailbroken phone now with no way to get 3rd party apps.

Any ideas?

SAP,

Cydia shoulda installed. Check the last page of yer apps, it mighta got hid there. They removed the japenese store and replaced it with Cydia in the second release.

If its not there, post back and I'll do some searching in the AM or as soon as I see the notice.

Things to try:

http://fen.kioskea.net/faq/10925-how-to-reinstall-update-cydia-without-re-jailbreak&ei=LV_VUsiGIcXkoAT2-4GICg&usg=AFQjCNF6NvXaG9VKhhBb2ZayTgAnh34lhg&sig2=DG4zSrxJRSdwPKwqe4tESQ

http://cydiaguides.blogspot.com/2013/02/how-to-download-cydia-after.html&ei=QWLVUqGpOtCDogTwxYG4Bg&usg=AFQjCNHpTB1gXWrIHEentP5aFdBiYgEjaQ&sig2=MVs3Cqr1gwWWlh9B33SxtQ

Other posts state that base language must b anything but chinese (which i highly doubt u set it to).

If that doesn't work, redownload the jb from evasion, restore the phone in itunes and re-jb with the newest version. I bet you've tried this one though already.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't restored the phone back to factory settings yet, so I am trying that now. Except for the lack of Cydia, it was nice to be able to use my wifi again. Yeah, hmmm, an iphone running iOS 7.04 can't seem to connect to wifi, but a jailbroken iOS 7.04 has absolutely no trouble connecting to wifi... I trust the jailbreakers more than I trust apple on this. Sounds like a designed glitch by Apple to drive people to the stores to get a handy dandy new phone right as they come to the shelves... piece of shit greedy bastards... if you ask me.

I keep reading this thread with Bly talking in the Jimmy Carter voiceSaturday night live skit where he would talk people down of off using drugs...

Back