If you were to die today........

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. John 3:16
That's great!

But I have to ask, what exactly did Jesus do for you?

Once you are saved is there anything you can do to lose your salvation?

If you never went to Church or got Baptized would you still be saved?

These are the questions that determine if you are believing in a make believe Jesus or the Jesus of the Bible...

bible also says that jesus said he came with a sword and is to pit brother against brother

also said only through jesus can one be saved

ahh... silly mythology
Ahh yes, but the issue with your thinking is that you never read past verse 35. Jesus continues to explain why he is saying that he came to bring a sword.

Matt 10:37-38 "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me: And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me."

Acts 3:18-20  But those things which God foretold through the mouth of all His prophets, that the Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled.
 Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,
 and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before

Romans 10:9-10  that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Ephesians 2:8-9  For by grace you are saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not of works, that no one should boast.

James 2:14  What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Is faith able to save him?

James 2:17-18  Thus also faith, if it does not have works, being alone, is dead.
But someone will say, You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith from my works.

Acts 3:18-20  But those things which God foretold through the mouth of all His prophets, that the Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled.
 Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,
 and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before

Romans 10:9-10  that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Ephesians 2:8-9  For by grace you are saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not of works, that no one should boast.

James 2:14  What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Is faith able to save him?

James 2:17-18  Thus also faith, if it does not have works, being alone, is dead.
But someone will say, You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith from my works.
What are you trying to say with quoting James? Are you saying we have to have works to be saved?

giphy.gif

"Yet she multiplied her harlotries, remembering the days of her youth, when she played the harlot in the land of Egypt. She lusted after their paramours, whose flesh is like the flesh of donkeys and whose issue is like the issue of horses. Thus you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when the Egyptians handled your bosom because of the breasts of your youth. - Ezekiel 23:19-21

Ahh yes, but the issue with your thinking is that you never read past verse 35. Jesus continues to explain why he is saying that he came to bring a sword.

Matt 10:37-38 "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me: And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me."
nah, the issue is i have a life beyond reading all story books and fairy tales in existence.

:reading:

Works to be saved? No, but "faith without works is dead". 
Yes, faith without works is dead. But look at James 2:17 closely:

"Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. "

We can have faith in the Death, Burial and Resurrection; but if we are not doing anything with it, such as preaching the gospel or doing good works, then our faith is dead. We are doing nothing for God.

Yet our faith is still there.....alone.

People who believe in a works based Gospel saying you have to have works to be saved use this verse a lot, and they are wrong.

The Jesus they believe in is not the Jesus of the Bible. They are saying that his finished work on the cross wasn't good enough and that you had to also do good works to be save as well.

Where as the Jesus of the Bible says that all you have to do is Believe/Trust and call upon the name of the Lord to be saved, minus the good works.

Romans 10:10 " For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. "

No works needed.

So if you are trusting in having good works to be saved then Im afraid your not.

Not at all.  That's not what James says either.  The whole point is works must follow faith or it's not true faith.
Then your adding works to your faith.

Faith, is to believe and trust in the death burial and resurrection.

Otherwise the thief on the cross would have died and gone to hell even though Jesus said, "Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise", he was lying and this would violate Titus 1:2 which says "In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;".

So no you do not have to have works at all.

Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Then your adding works to your faith.

Faith, is to believe and trust in the death burial and resurrection.

Otherwise the thief on the cross would have died and gone to hell even though Jesus said, "Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise", he was lying and this would violate Titus 1:2 which says "In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;".

So no you do not have to have works at all.

Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
You're misunderstanding me and James.  Not going to debate it further here.

i think the point is that if you have faith you will naturally have works. 

Have you ever been in a relationship where your GF/BF said they loved you but didn't act like it? If someone loves you they don't need to say it, you know by their actions. The same is true of faith. Someone that has it doesn't need to say it. It shows through their works. 

i think the point is that if you have faith you will naturally have works. 

Have you ever been in a relationship where your GF/BF said they loved you but didn't act like it? If someone loves you they don't need to say it, you know by their actions. The same is true of faith. Someone that has it doesn't need to say it. It shows through their works. 
Yes, you can show your faith through your works. The issue is saying that the works will be there.

The works do not have to be there and they will only be there if you chose to do them. Has nothing to do with whether or not your saved. That is the issue.

Jesus himself said: John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments." Doing the works shows your love for God. Not your salvation.

You do not have to love God to be saved you just have to Trust/Believe in what he did for you: The death, burial and resurrection. You cannot throw works in there at all.

What are you thoughts on not having money or lack money is the root of all evil? Is it written somewhere in the Bible? 

Back