I couldn't help myself - I framed my NCEES pencils along with my cert (pic)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They collected the pencils in RI after the Oct. 2013 FE exam.
They tried that in WI as well. It would have been a cold day in h#ll had they tried taking my pencil. As soon as they collected the exam booklets, the pencil went right in my backpack. Then I was out of there.

Sorry for the delayed responses.

How did you attach the pencils? Was it glue or tape? How has it held up. IF I get a certificate, I'm hoping to do something similar.
I used clear silicone glue (from a caulking gun actually). Two "dots" each pencil at the contact points (one at the bulgy part of the rubber grip and one at the top of the pencil near the top of the clip). It's going on two years and it has held up just fine.

ptatohed, I assume that you placed pencils outside, but did you use super glue on the glass? I want to do something like that... it looks great!
It's hard to see the glass in the pictures but I assure you the pencils are behind the glass (and not touching the glass - there is about 1mm of air space). This is why I said "fitting 3D objects in a 2D frame". ;)

Anyone has October 2013 pencils ?
It's red.

October 2012 - Green
April 2013 - Blue
October 2013 - Red
I am looking for pencil from October 2013 to frame with my PE license. Anyone want to sell or make a donation?
Any luck chiko?

Thats VERY cool! So can you share...how did you make it work? 3D pencils in 2D frame?
It's hard to put in words. If you remind me, I'll try to take some pics of the back side. Imagine a regular picture frame, back side. You have a cardboard backing that sits inside, right? Maybe half-way into the frame? And you have little tabs that swivel to lock the backing in place and keep the picture up against the glass? Well, I moved my backing to the very back of the frame. I put skinny foam around the inside perimeter of the frame to push the glass forward and the backing back. I then used screws with washers to lock the backing in place. Sorry, hard to explain.

Nice job! How did you mount the pencils?
Clear silicone glue. See above. :)

Wouldn't it make more sense to write what your PM breadth section was instead of 8 hour, next to NCEES?

But yeah this is enginerdness to the max - AWESOME and congrats!
I'm not sure that it "would make more sense"! That sounds like a preference to me. So, while it might be your preference, it was not mine and, thus, I do not agree that it "would make more sense". :p The Civil NCEES 8-hour is the NCEES 8-hour, it doesn't matter which depth module you take. I took three Civil PE exams (CA Seismic, CA Survey, and NCEES 8-hr) and thus labeled each pencil by the name of the exam.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me crazy but I just had to do it! Along with my cert are my three passing pencils (Survey Oct '10, 8-Hr Apr '11, Seismic Oct '11). Total cost in supplies = $28.XX after tax (thanks to a 40% off sale at Michael's) (not counting the $275 pencils of course). Time spent creatively figuring out how to fit 3D objects in a 2D frame = 4 hours. Gratification level = Significantly high. http://engineerboards.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/biggrin.png

100_0519-Bar.jpg
I took it 3 times in total, finally passing the third time. I saved the pencils from the first and final time, but threw away the second out of disgust. I also kept the ncees form from the day of the 3rd exam. I'm contemplating doing the same with the pencil and form from the successful time.

I took my certificate and pencil over to the frame shop over the weekend. The guy made a comment that they have done lots of documents signed by governors, legislatures, etc. Where they want an expensive pen framed with the document, but he has never done a mechanical pencil. I will post pictures when it's complete.

clearly the guy doesn't understand the amount of blood, sweat, tears, time, and coffee, that went into earning that certificate and pencil.

nice! this looks better than i expected when i read the thread title.

very nice. I'm reluctant to comment in this until I passed the exam. I will definately copied this.

funny thing, I still have bs degree still in the same envelope it came on the mail...

Anyone else frame their license and pencil? Let's get some more pics up here. I can imagine calculator framing gets tricky.

i just finished mine..but I realized the pencils need aligned properly....will redo the glue

Cost: Frame $6.90 (Michael's with 60% off on top of initial 40% already)

Mat: $3
Very sweet! Nice job iw! Nice price! So you did this yourself? How'd you get the "3D" to work? Congrats and thanks for sharing.

i just finished mine..but I realized the pencils need aligned properly....will redo the glue

Cost: Frame $6.90 (Michael's with 60% off on top of initial 40% already)

Mat: $3
Very sweet! Nice job iw! Nice price! So you did this yourself? How'd you get the "3D" to work? Congrats and thanks for sharing.
thanks..I did it myself. I did it based on your :)

the pencils are not alignment properly...sort of cocked eyes lol I need to fix it later

The "3d" effect on the cert or pencils?

I use the mat so the cert sits behind the mat sort of has a edge /border around it

http://www.michaels.com/matboard/pre-cut/809188437

and I use Shadow box so I can get the pencil to fit it in...

Just look out for coupons..they constantly has those coupons 50%-60% floating around

p/s the paper quality on the certificate sucks..it's like 70 lb paper instead of thicker one..worst than a standard blank paper

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. For that price, I wish I would've done mine myself. Mine was like $230 for a pro job.

Looking good. For that price, I wish I would've done mine myself. Mine was like $230 for a pro job.
ya but I spent 1 hour trying to align the **** thing and cut...you know the saying, measured twice cut once...I measured 4 times! lol

and my pencils need to be re glue and realigned because it's cocked eye...

Did you post yours here?

Back