I always heard transportation was easy

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transpo_Girl

Reaction score
OMG that was not an easy afternoon discipline to take.

I had always heard that transpo was the more straightforward exam to take out of the rest of the civil disciplines but I think that was most certainly some bad information...

:bawling:

I had always heard that transpo was the more straightforward exam to take out of the rest of the civil disciplines but I think that was most certainly some bad information...

I heard "X " thought this test was easy so you should be fine....

Some smart P.E. from my college told me before the exam: The Trans. depth was so easy he can teach a monkey how to pass it; I'd be crazy not to select it.

By listening to him I wasted close to 10 precious min reading the Trans depth

After the exam I told him NOT... (and the Louis Black quote)

I passed Transpo, and I've been told that I am very gorilla like. Does that count?

.........I'll be right back............... gotta go get a banana

WVbanana.gif

I agree with you. Because I do not work in any of the 5 choice disciplines for the PM portion, I picked transportation b/c I was told it was the easiest to pass. And after the morning, I was thinking, this thing is cake. By the end of the afternoon portion, I was semi-comatose and drooling.

When someone gives you a 'blanket' statement like Transpo is the easiest without elaborating why - that usually will end up being either taken the wrong way or bad advice.

Hope for the best :) December will come before you know it.

Louis Black rocks !!!! :bananalama:

By the end of the afternoon portion, I was semi-comatose and drooling.
I don't think it matters what discipline you chose for the afternoon - after eight hours of practically ANY exam you are going to be comatose. I know I was completely out of it when I took the exam my last time and it was my B-Day. :sniff:

There is only one person that I know of that went through this exam unscathed ... He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named :ph34r: Therefore, your reaction is COMPLETELY normal. :)

JR

I did not study Transportation enough for the morning exam..... I took WR in the PM. Some of the questions about Transportation just looked foreign to me. I can only imagine what the afternoon looked like! :whipping:

I've heard that for years. I took WR because it was logical for me based on my experience. But I know several of my friends that are in the water resources field that are taking the transportation exam in April, just becaue they've heard it was the easiest. Of course the DOT in our state puts on a review course, so maybe that has something to do with them thinking it's easier, but I can't imagine that to be the case. The response I hear is always, "you could teach a monkey to calculate horizontal and vertical curves" My response lately has been, "you could teach a monkey to solve any of the problems on the PE exam...the whole thing is a micro scale problem solving excercise." I know several people who never went to school for engineering, whose experience has been marginal at best, but were able to convince the board to give them a seat, study practice problems for several months, and pass the test.

My problem is I don't have the discipline or motivation to do problems for several months after working all day. I hope I passed!

I would bet that the Transpo afternoon is now probably one of the most difficult. Turns out they've discovered MANY new ways to test you for that module.

Honestly, That was the 4th time for me taking that test, and I've found that the Transportation afternoon exam has gotten tougher each time. I think this was the toughest yet....so much so that I felt like I may have gotten around 35 correct in the morning, and I'm STILL not completely sure I passed this test.

If you pass this test, you've EARNED the title of Professional Engineer!!! I don't care which module you take.

oh come on....don't beat yourself up. You studied hard and you did your best. I'm sure you did great. Have a little faith.

Last edited:
Who the hell said Transpo is easy?I would like him or her to say it in my face.From that to get a pile drive from me will take 1 second.

I think half the battle in passing the Transpo PM was gathering the references and learning where everything is located. I feel I passed the April exam primarily because of the months of work leading up to the exam. All I remember from the exam day is: find the right equation, find the right table, solve, repeat.

I mean, I don't know if I'd have passed my second choice - water resources. Going in with just 2 or 3 references and relying more on on-the-clock resourcefulness would have been a different test entirely. Not that I don't fancy myself as a resourceful person but it would have been different.

I have to echo what everyone has said...I work for a DOT but I have never done anything design related. I work for the Aeronautics division now. However, it helped when I was gathering materials that I worked here and that I was taking the Transpo. I felt great about the morning, but that could be ignorance is bliss. The afternoon was no so peppy. Each day I get more nervous about getting that fail notice....

At least we survived the first try? :(

If you pass this test, you've EARNED the title of Professional Engineer!!! I don't care which module you take.
I disagree. Not to take anything away from the test. The test is hard. I hope I passed. After taking it though, I just don't think success on the test requires an engineer.

I disagree. Not to take anything away from the test. The test is hard. I hope I passed. After taking it though, I just don't think success on the test requires an engineer.
I disagree with your "disagree". You can say that success on the test does not requires to be an engineer but, how many non engineers pass the test each year?

I do not know the stat for that. If it is 10% of the candidates taking the test then I would say you are right.

I disagree with your "disagree". You can say that success on the test does not requires to be an engineer but, how many non engineers pass the test each year?
I do not know the stat for that. If it is 10% of the candidates taking the test then I would say you are right.
Uh-oh... who said a flat cat can't get flatter? But I can't resist...

Passing the exam is just ONE of the requirements for registration as a PE. It may be the hardest requirement for most, but some people struggle with the application and finding enough references to document experience (the other major requirement for registration as a PE).

I am certain non-engineer graduates can pass the test if they prepare hard enough (it ain't rocket science!), but they still need the ABET accredited degree and/or experience. I'd also be willing to bet large amounts of beer that I could take *ANY* recent engineering graduate (any discipline!) from an ABET accredited school (say... RPI for example), tutor them for three months (assuming they remain dedicated), and watch them pass the Civil PE exam.

State boards need to carefully consider experience. I also think they need to remain restrictive on what they consider an Engineering discipline. (No software engineers for me!)

I heard "X " thought this test was easy so you should be fine....

Some smart P.E. from my college told me before the exam: The Trans. depth was so easy he can teach a monkey how to pass it; I'd be crazy not to select it.

By listening to him I wasted close to 10 precious min reading the Trans depth

I passed transpo too!! He better not get to close to me, I'll throw some monkey poo at him!!!!

:poop:

I would not say it was easy, but I did a TON of geometry problems to prep and finally got my brain on track. some bananas are good to keep your potassium levels up. I like the banana chips so the proctor doesn't slip on the peel.

Uh-oh... who said a flat cat can't get flatter? But I can't resist...
Passing the exam is just ONE of the requirements for registration as a PE. It may be the hardest requirement for most, but some people struggle with the application and finding enough references to document experience (the other major requirement for registration as a PE).

I am certain non-engineer graduates can pass the test if they prepare hard enough (it ain't rocket science!), but they still need the ABET accredited degree and/or experience. I'd also be willing to bet large amounts of beer that I could take *ANY* recent engineering graduate (any discipline!) from an ABET accredited school (say... RPI for example), tutor them for three months (assuming they remain dedicated), and watch them pass the Civil PE exam.

State boards need to carefully consider experience. I also think they need to remain restrictive on what they consider an Engineering discipline. (No software engineers for me!)
My point exactly.

Back