how short is too short to work for a company?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first job I was there 3 years, the 2nd was 7 months and got laid off, this one is going on 1.5 years. I feel like I would look like I'm jumping around if I left soon, but the reality is it's just going to have to happen. When does this become an issue with employers?

My first job I was there 3 years, the 2nd was 7 months and got laid off, this one is going on 1.5 years. I feel like I would look like I'm jumping around if I left soon, but the reality is it's just going to have to happen. When does this become an issue with employers?
Having a steady job is nice and, when/if the time comes to look for another one, maybe it will look OK. But, sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I've had my share of jobs the last 7 years. I was looking for a place where I could make what I needed salary wise and also in my favorite field. It took me 7 years but I did it.

I left a couple of jobs before the year. One was becuase family issues(aka as wifey pissed with the place we were living) and the other one when I found the job I have now. I am not moving from here, that I can tell you so my quest is over.(knock on wood)

I think it depends on the employer and the position, squish. If the company is investing time and money in training, they get concerned about not getting the payback. My opinion is that if you really have to change now, you should only move to a job that will give you long-term satisfaction, stability, and permanence. I'm sure others will disagree with me, but I'm kind of old school.

My favorite somewhat related story:

In my pre-engineer life I worked for a title company. At one of our branches, on her first day not even two hours into the job a new hire told her manager she needed to get something out of her car. They never saw her again. Knowing the manager most everyone thought that was hilarious.

Personally I am not a jumper but these days it seems to be accepted. I think as long as you can show a continuous increase in title and responsibility, than if anything it would show that you are competent and in demand.1.5 years does not seem too short IMHO - the rule of thumb in our company is that a new employee won't start to make money for the company until at least 6 months, so if you've generally been productive and been there a little while you don't owe them anything.

Also agree with the thought that once you start getting into higher up positions (management, etc) than jumping should be minimized. Earlier in the career, though, more accepted.

Well, if leaving your present job is unavoidable, I would recommend trying very hard to make sure you can stay in your next job for a farily long period (say more than 3 years).

I've spent some time in the subcontract world, so I completely admit my opinion may be different from most based on my experiences. My rule of thumb is that if you stay b/t six months and a year, you've "paid the company back what you owe them" for getting you set up in the work to begin with. As long as you are qualified and good at what you do, most companies I've dealt with could care less how long I've stayed in jobs, they are just happy to make money on me for as long as they can. Like I said though, the subcontract world (i.e. consulting) is different from the direct world.

I've switched jobs within my agency three times in six years. In fact, today marks exactly six years here. However, there's NO WAY I could have been in my first job for this long. I say if the company doesn't hold interest/pay/respect for you, move on. It drives the baby boomers nuts, but don't stay somewhere you're not happy. Life's too short to be angry at work every single day.

Suddenly, or not so suddenly I guess, a job serving yuppies bagels sounds very appealing... seriously I have to get out of here.

Here's a quote from a fellow nuclear contractor that I've always liked:

The first hour of the first day of a new job is still not to early to drag up.

He had a contract outfit pull a little bait-and-switch on the verbal terms and conditions for his services. He figured they thought he would stay once he was there. They were wrong.

^^ Thats why we all keep drag boxes and practice our drag drills. I can pack up in one box and be gone in under 5 minutes.

The only job I ever really liked only lasted 4 months. It was with a really small company (<10 people), and times were tough so they couldn't afford to pay me any more. It was actually my 2nd layoff within a year. So my work record right out of college looks like this: 1y2m with company A, 3 month layoff, 4 months with company B, 6 month layoff, 3y10m (so far) with company C....and I'm very actively looking for a new job.

I must say, I find this topic about short people completely offensive.

I think people of all heights should be allowed to work.

Ever heard the one about the little man who married a volleyball player...

When they are nose to nose, his toes are in it...

When they are toes to toes, his nose is in it...

:blink:

^^ thats gross.

So back to the original topic. Is it better to wait for the results of this exam, or just write pending on the resume for now? Does it matter as long as I have it by the time I'm hired?

^^ thats gross.
So back to the original topic. Is it better to wait for the results of this exam, or just write pending on the resume for now? Does it matter as long as I have it by the time I'm hired?
If you are waiting for your PE results before looking for a new job, I would wait... I would think that having your PE may help you negociate a better salary...

I'm not sure the company is wanting to take a gamble on you passing the exam and pay you a PE wage (I'm sure you passed though), so just wait a bit...

If you are waiting for your PE results before looking for a new job, I would wait... I would think that having your PE may help you negociate a better salary...
I'm not sure the company is wanting to take a gamble on you passing the exam and pay you a PE wage (I'm sure you passed though), so just wait a bit...
*frantically hitting the reload button on state board website*

thats what i figured. :-(

I have had more then my fair share of "employment opportunities" and the key is the reason you have left so many with such a short time, and where you are at. Obtaining your PE is the perfect excuse to be looking for a new job and it won't seem odd or be questioned as much once you have it. LIFE CHANGES= CAREER CHANGES!!! I have been lucky that most of my dates seem to coincide with degrees obtained, moving etc etc. I would be looking and have the resumes all ready to go, but wait agree that its best to wait so it's all "official".

I have had more then my fair share of "employment opportunities" and the key is the reason you have left so many with such a short time, and where you are at. Obtaining your PE is the perfect excuse to be looking for a new job and it won't seem odd or be questioned as much once you have it. LIFE CHANGES= CAREER CHANGES!!! I have been lucky that most of my dates seem to coincide with degrees obtained, moving etc etc. I would be looking and have the resumes all ready to go, but wait agree that its best to wait so it's all "official".
Ya know, when I thought about it, my changes did too- a Masters, then a move to TX, now a PE. I like how you put "employment opportunities". ;-) Now if we could just get that pending PE off the resume and the real PE on there, then I could send the damn thing out!

Back