How much study time are you putting in?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPSUEngineer

Civil Site Engineer
Reaction score
I'm just curious how much time everyone is putting into the exam. I'm trying to study 1-2 hrs after work each day and at least 5 hrs. on Saturday and Sunday. I know the CERM states average time is around 300 hours. That is a lot of hours!

I am putting in couple of hours every night and about 10 to 12 hours in the weekends.

I think 20 hours a week should do it, for the next 10 weeks, that will be 200 hours . I am a first time taker, and I hope last time.

When I was studying my goal was 15 hour a week, and I did that over the course of 10 weeks. I'd do 2 hours a night Monday - Thursday, take Friday night and Saturday off (I was taking the October test so Saturday's conflicted with college football) and then spend most of the day Sunday studying to make my weekly total 15 hours.

I found easier to keep on track if I broke it down by a number of hours I wanted to study weekly rather then thinking about the grand total.

Of course the number of hours each person needs to study will vary from person to person it also depends on how effective your study time is. So there is no magic answer for how many hours to study to be prepared.

When I was studying my goal was 15 hour a week, and I did that over the course of 10 weeks. I'd do 2 hours a night Monday - Thursday, take Friday night and Saturday off (I was taking the October test so Saturday's conflicted with college football) and then spend most of the day Sunday studying to make my weekly total 15 hours. I found easier to keep on track if I broke it down by a number of hours I wanted to study weekly rather then thinking about the grand total.

Of course the number of hours each person needs to study will vary from person to person it also depends on how effective your study time is. So there is no magic answer for how many hours to study to be prepared.
This was basically my goal as well. 1-2 hours per night during the week and a few hours on the weekend. I also took several days off here and there...mainly on the weekends. I took a review class that met for 36 hours as well. All in all, I probably put in 150-175 hours total although I didn't really keep track.

I definitely agree it will vary greatly from person to person but I felt very prepared going into the test. I passed Civil WR/ENV on my first try.

Thats cool. I think I'll end up with about 150 hrs. too if I stay on course. In my state I have to wait 7 years before I can sit for the exam. I'm finding that a lot of the things I thought were easy in school are now a challenge. Mainly I'm just a little rusty on my problem solving. I'll get there though with more practice. 7 years is a long time when you don't think about all the little tricks to each problem and remember all the formulas right off.

Thats cool. I think I'll end up with about 150 hrs. too if I stay on course. In my state I have to wait 7 years before I can sit for the exam. I'm finding that a lot of the things I thought were easy in school are now a challenge. Mainly I'm just a little rusty on my problem solving. I'll get there though with more practice. 7 years is a long time when you don't think about all the little tricks to each problem and remember all the formulas right off.
7 years?! What state are you in? Anyway I'm trying to study 3-4 hours a night M-TH and taking the weekends off. However, I am finding it really hard to stay focused and am about a week behind my study schedule. Anybody have any ideas to help with the "focus factor"?

I'm in georgia but I have an engineering technology degree so thats the difference in having to wait 7 years instead of 4.

It has been difficult for me to focus as well. I can't imagine putting in 3-4 hours after working all day. My brain is toast when I get home most of the time. I'm lucky to focus for 1.5-2 hrs. after work before I give up for the day.

I'm in georgia but I have an engineering technology degree so thats the difference in having to wait 7 years instead of 4.
It has been difficult for me to focus as well. I can't imagine putting in 3-4 hours after working all day. My brain is toast when I get home most of the time. I'm lucky to focus for 1.5-2 hrs. after work before I give up for the day.
Just be happy you have a job right now!

I am very thankful to still have a job in land development right now. Things are very slow and scary. Several of my friends have been layed off for a while now and can't find anything. Not even a part time job. I'm afraid I will be unemployed soon if something doesn't change in the next couple of months. It sucks! It is more stressful to be slow at work than it is to be very busy.

I am very thankful to still have a job in land development right now. Things are very slow and scary. Several of my friends have been layed off for a while now and can't find anything. Not even a part time job. I'm afraid I will be unemployed soon if something doesn't change in the next couple of months. It sucks! It is more stressful to be slow at work than it is to be very busy.
Ya know the feeling. I'm a self employed geotechnical field engineer and I've only been working 1 day a week. I'm trying to use the free time to study for the PE and I think I'm going to get involved in some ASCE events. Its hard to stay positive when you don't have any work coming in.

Ya know the feeling. I'm a self employed geotechnical field engineer and I've only been working 1 day a week. I'm trying to use the free time to study for the PE and I think I'm going to get involved in some ASCE events. Its hard to stay positive when you don't have any work coming in.
Well on the bright side of things at least you have lots of time to study. When you pass the PE you will be in a very good position when things pick back up.

Back