How much money do you make per year?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much money do you make per year?

• Still in school

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 40-50K

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • 51-60K

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • 61-70K

Votes: 37 17.3%
  • 71-80K

Votes: 36 16.8%
  • 81-90K

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • 91-100K

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • 101-110K

Votes: 19 8.9%
  • More than that!

Votes: 36 16.8%
  • Less than 40k

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
Mom quit working when I was born, and went back to work part time after my younger sister started school.

Having dealt with daycares in past jobs, there is no way I could send any potential Ensign Worleys to them.
You mind being more descriptive about what you don't like about daycare? Response via private message is fine. 18 month old son just started daycare and I am curious about your point of view on the subject?

We put our 4 month old in daycare. $140/week.

Didn't think twice about it. Wife did though.

They are a total racket. I was home on R&R right before Christmas. During the week of Christmas you had to pay the $160 for the week to keep the kid at home, but if you still wanted to send them to daycare you had to pony up $190.

Mom quit working when I was born, and went back to work part time after my younger sister started school.

Having dealt with daycares in past jobs, there is no way I could send any potential Ensign Worleys to them.
You mind being more descriptive about what you don't like about daycare? Response via private message is fine. 18 month old son just started daycare and I am curious about your point of view on the subject?

1st, I'm sure there are plenty of good ones out there.

Let's just say some people think running a daycare is easy money, and so you get a lot of folks who are looking for easy money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Let's just say some people think running a daycare is easy money, and so you get a lot of folks who are looking for easy money.
Well when you pay everyone minimum wage and provide no health benefits, you get what you get.

Well when you pay everyone minimum wage and provide no health benefits, you get what you get.
very true....see the dilemma?

I was referring to the owners. Never dealt with the staff, but I suspect you're right on the money, there.

I wouldn't bet against cash under the table, either.

Well when the owners are paying their entire staff minimum wage with no benefits and charging $150+/head.

We went to one daycare where the owner was given the daycare by her dad and she flat out told us she hated children. Needless to say we didn't take junior there.

Well when the owners are paying their entire staff minimum wage with no benefits and charging $150+/head.

We went to one daycare where the owner was given the daycare by her dad and she flat out told us she hated children. Needless to say we didn't take junior there.
Was her dad in jail for being a pedophile?

I'm willing to bet daycares have ay a fortune towards insurance though...liability type, not healthcare for workers.

I'm willing to bet daycares have ay a fortune towards insurance though...liability type, not healthcare for workers.
I agree with that

In most cases, you pay for what you get with daycares. We are close to putting our 9 month old in one and have looked at quite a few. Most of them you get a internal yes or no right away. The ones that past your "piece of mind" test, should be carefully decided until you feel like you have one that you trust with your child. The one we found that was our overwhelming favorite was $1000/month which was around $250-300 more per month than the others. Knowing that your child is going to be safe and will learn life skills instead of sitting in front of a tv is priceless. Of course you are going to hear about daycare horror stories in the news, but the vast majority of the time they come from the substandard daycares.

You guys are complaining about $12,000 per year (per kid) for daycare but, if you think about it, those of us whose wives stay home with the kid(s) are really spending our wives’ potential income (let’s just use $50,000/yr for the sake of conversation). So, I am “spending” $50,000 for “daycare”! :p But that’s ok, I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s very important to us. It’s something we talked about and agreed upon before marriage. No hired help, in my opinion, is going to raise your kids as good as mom. I’m not trying to preach, I am just stating how it’s important to me, personally, for my wife to stay home. In fact, just 20 minutes ago, my desk phone rings, I pick it up and I hear from my 2.5 year old “Hi Dadda. Momma and Kevin go park. I go on slide. I go fass on swing. I miss yooou. I love yooou. Bye Dadda”. Worth $50,000? It is to me.

I have a lot of respect for parents who have the patience to stay home with the kids. I love my kids, but God help them if they had to be around me all day. It would be nonstop tears and screaming for all of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back