How many times can one take the exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its a good thing that they are tightening the reins on the PE as it will reduce the number of people that have them and make it more valuable and easier to go job hunting.

More likely, it will just provide an incentive for more employers/industries to get themselves declared exempt. Having the PE doesn't mean much to an employer that doesn't need one.
Yea companies have been dodging regulation for decades and the states largly dont really enforce anything so alot of the engineering regulations have no teeth unless there is some catastrophic failure and people get killed then there is a big news story for a few days and everyone forgets about it. But that is just for protection of people not protection of well paying professional jobs which is really the issue.

This will probably go into effect along with the BS +30 rule, I would recommend people pass there PE asap and start taking classes thats what im doing. I think its a good thing that they are tightening the reins on the PE as it will reduce the number of people that have them and make it more valuable and easier to go job hunting. I hope they make this stuff retroactive, if not it will really be a hose job for the younger generation.
This will go into effect *this year*, not whenever BS+30 happens (2020 or so I've heard). As already answered, they chances of it being retroactive are pretty slim.
If its not retro active one could argue that its discriminitory, the rule makers are basicly making rules that they themselves may not meet. I think I can make 30 credits by 2020 lol, it depends on what the base line is, since my degree required like 136 credits which was almost 10 credits more than most other universities hopefully that will put me at only 20 required which I can make by 2020 and most likely get a second BS out of the deal.

This will probably go into effect along with the BS +30 rule, I would recommend people pass there PE asap and start taking classes thats what im doing. I think its a good thing that they are tightening the reins on the PE as it will reduce the number of people that have them and make it more valuable and easier to go job hunting. I hope they make this stuff retroactive, if not it will really be a hose job for the younger generation.
This will go into effect *this year*, not whenever BS+30 happens (2020 or so I've heard). As already answered, they chances of it being retroactive are pretty slim.
If its not retro active one could argue that its discriminitory, the rule makers are basicly making rules that they themselves may not meet. I think I can make 30 credits by 2020 lol, it depends on what the base line is, since my degree required like 136 credits which was almost 10 credits more than most other universities hopefully that will put me at only 20 required which I can make by 2020 and most likely get a second BS out of the deal.
136 credits are not much, I had to take over 150 hrs to get a BSc in Civil Engineering!!!

136 credits are not much, I had to take over 150 hrs to get a BSc in Civil Engineering!!!
You must be in your 40's or 50's, the colorado school of mines wrote an article on that very issue (because of the old people being all cranky about us lazy slack a** younger generation lol) stating that we have more computer aided software and better calculators and can cover more material with less credits, among a plethera of other changes since the time you went to school. Credit hours does not nessicarily equate to rigor it can simply be a difference in how the classes are structured or even a difference in time and how different amounts of credit are assigned to different classes. Your calc class may have been like 5 credits back in the day and now they are 3 and 4, if you apply that change across all the courses required for a BS thats a huge discrepency. As long as the school is ABET accreditied the credit hours should not matter, ABET is suppose to go though and make sure the university is covering all the topics with adaquate rigor and the bean counting of the hours is really inconsequential. That being said I dont think the +30 credits is a bad idea but they need to give people adaquate time to get thoes credits or for thoes still in school they need to adjust the ABET requirements so students comming out of school are not behind the 8 ball right off the bat when they are trying to get there PE. 10 years is enough time to get 30 credits, thats about one 3 credit class a year and will double as your continuing education.

I bet you had to walk uphill both ways in the snow to get to class as well lol.

Last edited:
^^^ that was a real dick-head way to say that the credit hours vary from school to school and program to program (2010 CSM requirements for Civil = 138.5 & Mechanical = 140.5).

As long as it's ABET accredited, it's all the same anyways.

You must be in your 40's or 50's, the colorado school of mines wrote an article on that very issue (because of the old people being all cranky about us lazy slack a** younger generation lol) stating that we have more computer aided software and better calculators and can cover more material with less credits, among a plethera of other changes since the time you went to school. Credit hours does not nessicarily equate to rigor it can simply be a difference in how the classes are structured or even a difference in time and how different amounts of credit are assigned to different classes. Your calc class may have been like 5 credits back in the day and now they are 3 and 4, if you apply that change across all the courses required for a BS thats a huge discrepency. As long as the school is ABET accreditied the credit hours should not matter, ABET is suppose to go though and make sure the university is covering all the topics with adaquate rigor and the bean counting of the hours is really inconsequential. That being said I dont think the +30 credits is a bad idea but they need to give people adaquate time to get thoes credits or for thoes still in school they need to adjust the ABET requirements so students comming out of school are not behind the 8 ball right off the bat when they are trying to get there PE. 10 years is enough time to get 30 credits, thats about one 3 credit class a year and will double as your continuing education.
In some cases I wish they had added just a few more units in spelling and grammar.

Last edited by a moderator:
In some cases I wish they had added just a few more units in spelling and grammar.
But they dident and when I tried to take a writing class after graduation I was lucky to pull a B and he said you really have no idea what your doing do you, and I said nope thats why im here, I think he was a lazy instructor and I am to busy with just having passed my PE and advanced engineering math to keep trying to imporve my english since it has no impact on my job performacen (obvoiusly I spell check on offical work documents and have someone proof read). Sorry if I came across as dick head but it gets old hearing the older generation whine about how they had it so hard and how things were so much more rigorus back then and how we are such slack a**'s these days thats what I read between the lines, that mentality from the older generation was so prevalent that CSM wrote an article about it a few months ago.

But they dident and when I tried to take a writing class after graduation I was lucky to pull a B and he said you really have no idea what your doing do you, and I said nope thats why im here, I think he was a lazy instructor and I am to busy with just having passed my PE and advanced engineering math to keep trying to imporve my english since it has no impact on my job performacen (obvoiusly I spell check on offical work documents and have someone proof read). Sorry if I came across as dick head but it gets old hearing the older generation whine about how they had it so hard and how things were so much more rigorus back then and how we are such slack a**'s these days thats what I read between the lines, that mentality from the older generation was so prevalent that CSM wrote an article about it a few months ago.
I assume you don't make these mistakes at work, at least not as much. But you always write A LOT. I wouldn't say anything, since after all this is the internet, but sometimes it is actually hard to follow.

And I am one of those old farts, with a lot of job experience, and in my opinion, good communications skills are as important or probably more important in the job world than "advanced engineering math" or even a PE (unless you are a civil engineer). These skills are probably only second in importance to your actual industry specific job tasks. I've never been asked to compute a Power Spectral Density function at work, but I sure have been asked to give presentations and write reports. Better written communication will probably help, and certainly can't hurt you in your quest to earn the "fatty" money.

Ok, I'm going to call you out rppearso. You have posted nothing of any value on this forum since you got here, but somehow justify complaining to the fact that no one takes you seriously (or even on other forums). I have yet to see anything that actually identifies you as a productive member of society, let alone as an engineer. You have the attitude, maturity, intellegence, writing style, spelling, and grammar of a 12 year old. You want people to take you seriously? GROW UP.

BTW, we're not the first to call you out:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/anchorage/8...echanics-2.html <--- the last post on page 2 is particularly interesting

Last edited:
Ok, I'm going to call you out rppearso. You have posted nothing of any value on this forum since you got here, but somehow justify complaining to the fact that no one takes you seriously (or even on other forums). I have yet to see anything that actually identifies you as a productive member of society, let alone as an engineer. You have the attitude, maturity, intellegence, writing style, spelling, and grammar of a 12 year old. You want people to take you seriously? GROW UP.
BTW, we're not the first to call you out:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/anchorage/8...echanics-2.html <--- the last post on page 2 is particularly interesting
Ah yes that was entertaining, to many idiots on that form so it was not a huge loss to get banned. As far as the last post thoes were some entertaining times, I have to take breaks from studying or whatever and its fun to discuss things like that, unfortunatly some peoples forums are boring and as soon as you add some spice everyone gets all bent out of shape, how dare you blah blah blah, everything I post is factual they just generally dont want to hear it well ok fine but thats boring im not going to participate in a forum to talk about the weather or the paint drying or how fast your grass grows. I write reports all the time, the thing people fail to realize (espeically in other forums) is that this is a forum not my job. I will admit I have a bad habit of putting commas where periods should be and am working on that and make a very consious effort to not do that on work reports. If you dont want to be called out then dont put that you have so many credits and that 136 credits is nothing followed by exclamation points.

"136 credits are not much, I had to take over 150 hrs to get a BSc in Civil Engineering!!! " It was enough to get an ABET accredited degree from one of the best schools in the nation so its definitly not nothing, but this is the standard old timer talk and its really old lol (no pun intended). In fact its so old that CSM did an article on it, of course that wont stop old timers from using it to destroy relationships, some of them do it in jest but some of them are holier than thou about it.

Last edited:
I will admit I have a bad habit of putting commas where periods should be and am working on that and make a very consious effort to not do that on work reports.
Your main problem is that you can't spell even simple words. But if you're fine with that, it's up to you.

I will admit I have a bad habit of putting commas where periods should be and am working on that and make a very consious effort to not do that on work reports.
Your main problem is that you can't spell even simple words. But if you're fine with that, it's up to you.
Alot of that is just typos that I dont bother to correct because im just taking short breaks at work im not going to spend inordinate amounts of time correcting spelling. If my spelling is prohibitive to you talking with me then thats life. In general I find that the spelling is a scape goat because someone does not like my assertions but since all of my assertions are factualy they cant really rebuke them but they are pissed off none the less so they just rag on the spelling or ban me, its really a pride issue, they cant admit that there assertion was messed up and they were being an idiot. People who vehminitly promote something they cant back up are the funnest.

Alot of that is just typos that I dont bother to correct because im just taking short breaks at work im not going to spend inordinate amounts of time correcting spelling. If my spelling is prohibitive to you talking with me then thats life. In general I find that the spelling is a scape goat because someone does not like my assertions but since all of my assertions are factualy they cant really rebuke them but they are pissed off none the less so they just rag on the spelling or ban me, its really a pride issue, they cant admit that there assertion was messed up and they were being an idiot. People who vehminitly promote something they cant back up are the funnest.
rp-I have no idea what your assertions even are, your writing is so confusing. I took a look at some of your posts on a physics board and was amused to see you struggling with some really simple first order differential equations. I think most of us learned that sophmore year of college at least. It was last year, so I hope you've been able to move past that in the intervening months of the study of "advanced math". But I will stop communicating with you because your posts are the opposite of elevating.

By the way - those are not typos. I wouldn't even mention it if it were typos. It is simple to tell the difference.

rp-I have no idea what your assertions even are, your writing is so confusing. I took a look at some of your posts on a physics board and was amused to see you struggling with some really simple first order differential equations. I think most of us learned that sophmore year of college at least. It was last year, so I hope you've been able to move past that in the intervening months of the study of "advanced math". But I will stop communicating with you because your posts are the opposite of elevating.

By the way - those are not typos. I wouldn't even mention it if it were typos. It is simple to tell the difference.
It was a simple bernouli differential equation which I had not seen before, im not affraid to seek other tools or help to expend my knowlage, and if its simple then I better figure it out quick right.

It was a simple bernouli differential equation which I had not seen before, im not affraid to seek other tools or help to expend my knowlage, and if its simple then I better figure it out quick right.
Now I understand why his posts aren't clear - he has expended his knowledge.......

Sorry if I came across as dick head but it gets old hearing the older generation whine about how they had it so hard and how things were so much more rigorus back then and how we are such slack a**'s these days thats what I read between the lines, that mentality from the older generation was so prevalent that CSM wrote an article about it a few months ago.
No, what's really annoying is you coming in here bitching because you aren't making fatty money because you've got a fancy engineering degree and a chip on your shoulder. I'm not that much older than you, and while I'm trying to maximize my earning potential at this point in my life, I'm not bitching about the fact that I'm not getting double digit raises every year. Also, your degree from CSM doesn't impress me because last time I checked my school was ranked above yours (#1 for undergrad engineering schools for 10 years running). You need to get over yourself, and gain some humility if you ever want to make it in this world. I know that if you were my employee, I'd fire your ass because of your attitude.

Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to respond, and this is my last one. You spent tens of thousand of dollars on an education and they never taught you Bernoulli's differential equation format? Are you sure? It's on something like page 5 of the Boyce and Diprima book I used for undergrad ODE. That was many years ago, and although I probably couldn't solve it myself without some review, at least I remember it. I think you graduated maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Plus, I don't claim to be the reincarnation of Leibniz.

Sorry if I came across as dick head but it gets old hearing the older generation whine about how they had it so hard and how things were so much more rigorus back then and how we are such slack a**'s these days thats what I read between the lines, that mentality from the older generation was so prevalent that CSM wrote an article about it a few months ago.
No, what's really annoying is you coming in here bitching because you aren't making fatty money because you've got a fancy engineering degree and a chip on your shoulder. I'm not that much older than you, and while I'm trying to maximize my earning potential at this point in my life, I'm not bitching about the fact that I'm not getting double digit raises every year. Also, your degree from CSM doesn't impress me because last time I checked my school was ranked above yours (#1 for undergrad engineering schools for 10 years running). You need to get over yourself, and gain some humility if you ever want to make it in this world. I know that if you were my employee, I'd fire your ass because of your attitude.
That just means that in your neck of the woods for your particular disipline of engineering, engineers are expendible and not really worth much if you can so readily fire them over a non engineering related issue, its a simple supply and demand issue thats been my entire point all along, especially if there are a plethera of engineers getting shafted on compenstation, im not really bitching about it (maybe a little) but mostly just stating facts and that its really probably not a good idea for young people to get into because the money is not really there, the work is extremely difficult and requires alot of sacrafice and the pay out is really not all that, heck I have 5 yrs experience and a PE and have not been able to break 6 figures yet let alone the 200k mark, so its really just a regular job that only pays slightly more than any other run of the mil job (that maybe required vocational training or an associates) (heck I even make less than some used car sales men that shows how well respected engineers are). You must have went to MIT then because there are not to many schools ranked above CSM for chemical eng in particular, as a whole CSM does not ususally rank in the top 10 you have to break it down by disipline but I dont think you really care about the facts you just wanted to make an inflamitory remark.

I agree the facts do suck but its not my fault that this is the future reality for engineering.

Also its actually not that big of a deal that I was either not taught or did not remember that particular form of diff equ, I asked the question got an answer and looked it up, it was like a 30 min process after I got the answer and even if I did nto get that answer I could have dug it up in a few hours, as an engineer this should not be new news to you but like I said above you are looking for ammo to make inflamitory remarks directly against me because your an a** hole where as my concerns lie with the decline of the profession and my frustration with that fact as you should all be frustrated. I had a co worker do a time value of money calculation and based on inflation and other factors we make significantly less starting pay than engineers did 20-30 years ago and its getting harder to break away from that sub standard pay into what engineers used to make, thats just a fact.

Last edited:
Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to respond, and this is my last one. You spent tens of thousand of dollars on an education and they never taught you Bernoulli's differential equation format? Are you sure? It's on something like page 5 of the Boyce and Diprima book I used for undergrad ODE. That was many years ago, and although I probably couldn't solve it myself without some review, at least I remember it. I think you graduated maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Plus, I don't claim to be the reincarnation of Leibniz.
I actually purchased a graduate thermodynamics book that was on MIT open course ware and started to go through it and realized my math skills were lacking that is why im in another math class right now, it would be nice to be able to understand math like Gauss or Euler, just have to keep plugging along. But in all reality I never have to do math like that in my job, its mainly for my own understanding (and the one in a million off chance I may have the opprotunity to solve a problem like that at work). So I dont claim to be Euler or Fourier but I am an engineer and am frustrated with the decline of our profession as all of you should be, its a major concern. It would be like if doctors started making sub six figure incomes no one would hardly do it anymore, I dont recommend it to anymore as the work is to hard and the pay is to low, you can make just as much being a car sales man or a auto mechanic.

That just means that in your neck of the woods for your particular disipline of engineering, engineers are expendible and not really worth much if you can so readily fire them over a non engineering related issue, its a simple supply and demand issue thats been my entire point all along, especially if there are a plethera of engineers getting shafted on compenstation, im not really bitching about it (maybe a little)
It's not an a non-engineering related issue, it's a non-professionalism issue. Plus, in case you haven't noticed, the demand is down and supply is up across the board in this country. If you want a job, let alone a fatty salary, you better be pretty damned good at what you do and be able to prove it.

but mostly just stating facts and that its really probably not a good idea for young people to get into because the money is not really there, the work is extremely difficult and requires alot of sacrafice and the pay out is really not all that,
Stating that you are stating facts does not make what you are stating factual. In fact, if you have to point out to people that your statements are factual, they are usually not.

heck I have 5 yrs experience and a PE and have not been able to break 6 figures yet let alone the 200k mark
Here's a clue, since you are obviously devoid of them. There are very few engineers that make six figure salaries with 5 years experience. All of them are in places with high costs of living (CA, NY, Chicago, etc), or they are exceptionally good at what they do. If I'm not mistaken, you are from Alaska, which has a medium cost of living and an exceptionally low tax rate (negative, I believe). You are going to need a lot more experience, or a move to higher paying region, or actually display talent instead of bitching about being underpaid in extremely long run-on sentences if you want to make that kind of money.

Then again, there's only so many times people will tell you this before they give up and report to personal attacks or attacks on your grammar or limited grasp of simple engineering concepts...which is what has happened on this forum, and apparently every other forum you have every joined.

I'm surprised you aren't a more happy person. I guess ignorance isn't bliss.

Back