How many references are you bringing?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With 6 minutes per problem I'm not sure how you'd have time to use anything besides MERM
um because the MERM doesn't have everything and if you know your references, you quickly know which one to look in to help solve a problem?  I'm not sure how it takes any longer to look in one reference vs. another.

TFS/HVAC folks: BRING YOUR OWN STEAM TABLES (printed on 11x17 and folded accordion style). Get both US and SI units and make sure you understand the base units (e.g. the NIST SI steam tables are great but have units that might not perfectly match the problem statement). You have been warned. Happy stuDYING! :rotflmao:
I understand why people feel the need to bring their own, but it is not a deal breaker. I had plenty of time with the MERM ones. 

TFS/HVAC folks: BRING YOUR OWN STEAM TABLES (printed on 11x17 and folded accordion style). Get both US and SI units and make sure you understand the base units (e.g. the NIST SI steam tables are great but have units that might not perfectly match the problem statement). You have been warned. Happy stuDYING! :rotflmao:
Mr. Square Taper I see your name on the list of PE's in Cali. Congrats!

Are we allowed to have the Mollier diagram tattooed on our forearms?
You cannot write anywhere other the test booklet. If you get caught writing on the reference materials you are bringing there is a high chance that the whole binder will be confiscated.

This. The MERM ones will work but will cost you precious time. Plus there are complete tables that are free, so why not?

This. The MERM ones will work but will cost you precious time. Plus there are complete tables that are free, so why not?
YES. I had a copy of some really comprehensive steam tables from college. I did not have to interpolate a single time on the exam. Those are valuable minutes saved.

Well, I'm at the hotel and for my references I've brought along:

MERM

Dr. Tom Binders

Engineering Unit Conversions

It doesn't sound like a lot, but they sure are heavy to lug around.

Well, I'm at the hotel and for my references I've brought along:

MERM

Dr. Tom Binders

Engineering Unit Conversions

It doesn't sound like a lot, but they sure are heavy to lug around.
I think you MDM people don't need to use quite as many tables as us TFS folks. I took MDM the first time around, definitely had no idea what I was doing. Hope that unit conversion book I sent you comes in handy. I'll pray to the MDM gods for you!

I think you MDM people don't need to use quite as many tables as us TFS folks. I took MDM the first time around, definitely had no idea what I was doing. Hope that unit conversion book I sent you comes in handy. I'll pray to the MDM gods for you! 
Thanks man...I'm probably gonna need all the help I can get!  Sitting in this room is letting doubts creep in and I'm losing confidence by the hour!

Thanks man...I'm probably gonna need all the help I can get!  Sitting in this room is letting doubts creep in and I'm losing confidence by the hour!
Hang in there man.... I'll pray to the MDM gods for you as well...you got this !

1. NCEES ref handbook, which I found most helpful. I strongly believe ALL info you need to solve test questions are available here

2. NCEES sample test book and my own solution.

3. my own printout for thermodynamics, which I made when I was doing teaching assistant for undergrad thermo classes

4. MERM 13th ed. I rarely used this during test

5. ppi practice book. I didn't use this book at all

Back