How many references are you bringing?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. MERM

2. Thermodynamic Property Tables (a big bound version I got in college that I can't seem to find a reprint of anywhere)

3. Binder with :

- Personal "cheat sheets" with most used equations

- All of the Slay the PE free references (multiple copies of psychometric and mollier charts)

- Copy of the air property tables from ASHRAE Fundamentals

- MERM Appendix

4. Heat Transfer college textbook

5. Thermodynamics college textbook

6. Fluid Dynamics college textbook

7. ASHRAE Fundamentals

8. Unit Conversions book (with tabs for most used conversions)

9. NCEES practice exam

After reading the results forum topics for previous years, one common theme was "I brought a ton of stuff but only used the MERM"
I think it comes down to your style of studying. During all the mocks I took so far, I have noticed that I used the following in the exact order:

1.Merm reference manual
2.Cheetsheet unit conversion
3.Keenan steam/gas tables,
4.Solved problem binder
5.Cameron

The rest are just fillers...just in case type.

With 6 minutes per problem I'm not sure how you'd have time to use anything besides MERM
I think with the format change a few years ago, the exams are now more in depth. I'm studying for the HVAC&R exam and have come across countless problems that I need to reference the ASHRAE books. 

I'm bringing:

-2017 ASHRAE Fundamentals

-2016 ASHRAE HVAC and Equipment

-2015 ASHRAE HVAC Applications

-2014 ASHRAE Refrigeration

-MERM

-MERM Quick Reference Equation book

-Personally bound book with eng pro guides equations, psych charts, notes, etc.

-Will also probably bring the NCEES practice exam and Lindeburg's book of practice problems. If I get stuck on a problem I will try to find a similar problem/solution to go off of.

I'm bringing:

1. MERM
  2. Home made reference (about 100 pages, bound with cover)
  3. Crane "Flow of Fluids" (mostly for fluid/gas properties)
  4. Cameron Hydraulic Data (for quick and dirty approximations)
  5. Dr. Tom's material (basically a metric ton of worked problems)
  6. College Thermo textbook (I like the steam table layout)
  7. PPI unit conversions
Item #2 is what I have found to be most useful. It's a collection of crib sheets, MERM index, property tables, steam tables (SI and US) printed on 11x17, refrigerant tables, psychrometric charts printed on 11x18, Mollier printed on 11x17, home brewed flowcharts, etc. Basically, it's everything I used for practice extracted out of MERM and other references for ease of use and then tabbed identically to MERM. Since it's just printer paper bound with a plastic snap-on binding, I can flip through this like a paperback, much faster than I can turn pages in the MERM. Plus it's handy in case I simultaneously need a table and equation from MERM.

My "Go to" references:

MERM
Unit conversion book
Machinery handbook
Binder of notes

References that i will bring but wont be out on the table:

NCEES practice exam
Engproguides practice exam
Scott Hart and Kevin Klein practice exam
NCEES FE practice exam
Engineering pro guides study book
Tim Kennedy study book
Lindburgh practice problem book

Last edited by a moderator:
My "Go to" references:

MERM
Unit conversion book
Machinery handbook
Binder of notes

References that i will bring but wont be out on the table:

NCEES practice exam
Engproguides practice sample exam
Scott Hart and Kevin Klein practice exam
NCEES FE practice exam
Engineering pro guides study book
Tim Kennedy study book
Lindburgh practice problem book
Similar to mine, though I have all my solved problems in a question bank folder and tabbed by each topic.

so no ones bringing the energy code, mech code, 90.1 or 62.5? Ive been trying to decide.

Im bringing for sure:

• Merm
  • 4 AHRAE books (fundamentals, refrig, systems and applications)
  • Proengineer study guide that I printed off and 3 ringed
  • another 3 ring binder with psych charts and 6 pages (front and back) of notes and equations
  • conversion book
  • NCEES practice test
  • Proeng practice test
  • water bottle
  • granola bars. (i get hangry if i dont eat every couple hours)

so no ones bringing the energy code, mech code, 90.1 or 62.5? Ive been trying to decide.

Im bringing for sure:

• Merm
  • 4 AHRAE books (fundamentals, refrig, systems and applications)
  • Proengineer study guide that I printed off and 3 ringed
  • another 3 ring binder with psych charts and 6 pages (front and back) of notes and equations
  • conversion book
  • NCEES practice test
  • Proeng practice test
  • water bottle
  • granola bars. (i get hangry if i dont eat every couple hours)
I have mech and energy codes but I dont think they would ask question blindly, I think if any, it would be the same like in practice test, where they test if you understand or if you interpret it correctly. 

Similar to mine, though I have all my solved problems in a question bank folder and tabbed by each topic.
Oh and ill be bringing Shigleys. Although I didn't use it as much as i thought i would the during the last few months. 

TFS/HVAC folks: BRING YOUR OWN STEAM TABLES (printed on 11x17 and folded accordion style). Get both US and SI units and make sure you understand the base units (e.g. the NIST SI steam tables are great but have units that might not perfectly match the problem statement). You have been warned. Happy stuDYING! :rotflmao:

TFS/HVAC folks: BRING YOUR OWN STEAM TABLES (printed on 11x17 and folded accordion style). Get both US and SI units and make sure you understand the base units (e.g. the NIST SI steam tables are great but have units that might not perfectly match the problem statement). You have been warned. Happy stuDYING! :rotflmao:
whats a steam table?

whats a steam table?
screen_shot_2012-10-22_at_11.17.37_am_1.png

Back