how many hours do you work

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what do you put in?

• 0-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11-20

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 21-30

• 31-40

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • 41-50

Votes: 55 52.9%
  • 51-60

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • 61-70

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 71-80

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 81-90

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 91-100

• I'm insane

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Now that I am in Afghanistan my work week is officially 65 hours:

Saturday to Thursday => 0700 - 1730

Fridays (Afghans weekend) => 0800 - 1300

So we get a minimum of 25 hours of OT per week. I've only been here for a couple days so that's what I'm doing right now but once I start getting a little settled in then I hear it's not unusual to get more than that. We're in the middle of Afghanistan, what else are we gonna do?

Work usually between 40 and 50 hours a weekActually work between 40 and 50 hours a week

I get paid for 40, no overtime, no comp time, no flex time and no benefits except 160 hours off each year weather it is sick time, time for an appointment or vacation time... it's all just leave time...

I do get my miles check on a monthly basis for using my personal truck for work, but do not get compensated for the use of my personal cell phone. I also am responsible for providing my own PPE except the first hard hat that was issued to me when I started and the majority of my office supplies are ones I've purchased myself except the computer and a field notebook.

Watercooler talk is frowned upon and if it's a problem it could cost you your position so that actually doesn't happen much, most websites are blocked from our computers so other then checking a bank balance and the weather there is no "wasting time" there. If you are not working by 7:30 am and have logged off you computer before 4:00 then it's usually noted and something will be said. I expect that eventually people will start being scrutinized for the use of smart phones, so I've been limiting my facebook posts and txt messages during the day to head that one off.

Chit-chat does occur on job-sites but usually as we are walking and preforming inspections... and usually is about hunting and fishing or peoples families and how they are doing.

We manage two house payments, two sets of utilities, one very high car payment (gotta keep those loans to less then 36 months!), my student loans, constant renovations on the houses and some months it is tight... we also both commute a total of about 60 miles a day each (round trip) and hence spend quite a bit on gas (personally I put in about $60 every three or four days, but am using the truck for work too)... we don't go out a lot, but do manage to fly home about once a year as a vacation and are able to purchase nice things if we plan for them and very rarely use the credit cards unless it's an emergency. Both our incomes total less then $100k so I don't think we are doing all that bad.
Unless you are in the uber high 6 figure range for your salery positon (like 150-160k +) I would get your debt paid off and sell your house and move in with parent and quit and look for a new job, a job like that will litterally kill you over a career. If I had a job like that I would not even wait until I have another job lined up, as long as I had a plan to bring my bills to nearly 0 and build a small savings I would be gone. I remember my very first job was like this and someone came and talked to me for checking my yahoo email, I made it there 2 months and had another job a week later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I am in Afghanistan my work week is officially 65 hours:Saturday to Thursday => 0700 - 1730

So we get a minimum of 25 hours of OT per week. I've only been here for a couple days so that's what I'm doing right now but once I start getting a little settled in then I hear it's not unusual to get more than that. We're in the middle of Afghanistan, what else are we gonna do?
What are you doing out in Afghanistan, if I may ask? I was HUMINT over there in 04-05, got my EIT, and have since started working for a contractor as a project engineer. I like the work but not the company but the job market is tough so I'm considering heading back for some of those infamous contractor salaries that can be picked up in AF.

Now that I am in Afghanistan my work week is officially 65 hours:Saturday to Thursday => 0700 - 1730

What are you doing out in Afghanistan, if I may ask? I was HUMINT over there in 04-05, got my EIT, and have since started working for a contractor as a project engineer. I like the work but not the company but the job market is tough so I'm considering heading back for some of those infamous contractor salaries that can be picked up in AF.
I am a Project Engineer with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at Bagram AF. There were a few guys that came through the training with me who came over as Schedule A's (from what I got, contractors working for the USACE) who seem to like it.

Work usually between 40 and 50 hours a weekActually work between 40 and 50 hours a week

I get paid for 40, no overtime, no comp time, no flex time and no benefits except 160 hours off each year weather it is sick time, time for an appointment or vacation time... it's all just leave time...

I do get my miles check on a monthly basis for using my personal truck for work, but do not get compensated for the use of my personal cell phone. I also am responsible for providing my own PPE except the first hard hat that was issued to me when I started and the majority of my office supplies are ones I've purchased myself except the computer and a field notebook.

Watercooler talk is frowned upon and if it's a problem it could cost you your position so that actually doesn't happen much, most websites are blocked from our computers so other then checking a bank balance and the weather there is no "wasting time" there. If you are not working by 7:30 am and have logged off you computer before 4:00 then it's usually noted and something will be said. I expect that eventually people will start being scrutinized for the use of smart phones, so I've been limiting my facebook posts and txt messages during the day to head that one off.

Chit-chat does occur on job-sites but usually as we are walking and preforming inspections... and usually is about hunting and fishing or peoples families and how they are doing.

We manage two house payments, two sets of utilities, one very high car payment (gotta keep those loans to less then 36 months!), my student loans, constant renovations on the houses and some months it is tight... we also both commute a total of about 60 miles a day each (round trip) and hence spend quite a bit on gas (personally I put in about $60 every three or four days, but am using the truck for work too)... we don't go out a lot, but do manage to fly home about once a year as a vacation and are able to purchase nice things if we plan for them and very rarely use the credit cards unless it's an emergency. Both our incomes total less then $100k so I don't think we are doing all that bad.
Unless you are in the uber high 6 figure range for your salery positon (like 150-160k +) I would get your debt paid off and sell your house and move in with parent and quit and look for a new job, a job like that will litterally kill you over a career. If I had a job like that I would not even wait until I have another job lined up, as long as I had a plan to bring my bills to nearly 0 and build a small savings I would be gone. I remember my very first job was like this and someone came and talked to me for checking my yahoo email, I made it there 2 months and had another job a week later.
good lord that is brutal. sounds like a concentration camp. agreed completely, if that were my only option - i'd bag groceries for a living and walk away from the loans. life is short man.

Definitely going to be in the 60+ category for a while.

good lord that is brutal. sounds like a concentration camp. agreed completely, if that were my only option - i'd bag groceries for a living and walk away from the loans. life is short man.
Couldn't agree more. Doing the math on a 55 hour week (which many more people are saying they work regularly), supposing an hour lunch and hour dinner means that the work day would be 8-9 M-F, or the standard 8-5 with no weekend. Family, friends and health all take a back seat when folks are working those hours and even if you make the big bucks you'll be in the grave from Karoshi before you can enjoy retirement. Life is indeed too short and I've never heard an old-timer lamenting that they didn't work enough in their youth.

Couldn't agree more. Doing the math on a 55 hour week (which many more people are saying they work regularly), supposing an hour lunch and hour dinner means that the work day would be 8-9 M-F, or the standard 8-5 with no weekend. Family, friends and health all take a back seat when folks are working those hours and even if you make the big bucks you'll be in the grave from Karoshi before you can enjoy retirement. Life is indeed too short and I've never heard an old-timer lamenting that they didn't work enough in their youth.
Not all govt jobs are fun... BRAC has a deadline and maybe we will rest after...I guess if I could re-take the poll things have changed... since I got the promotion... I leave work at 4 just so i can take the dogs out (we got a 45 min commute to our house from where we work)... get back to work by 5:30 and have been working until 10 or so. The hubby has been great by cooking dinners and doing chores around the house, but I am slightly worried as he is leaving for Drill Sgt school in a week or so... I am hopeful that they will hire someone to replace me or one of the other people that have left cause i'm still doing my old job while doing my new job and covering for the inspector they got rid of about a week before my promotion... but until then I will keep on keeping on.... as long as we can juggle the two houses and the bills i will work until i drop. But... let us serve as a reminder... military familys don't skate on ice... and no i am not even near the 6 figure range... like i said, combined income for an E-6 Army and mine... we are under 100k...

Edit: i work 7:30 to 4:00 and usually work thru lunch to get things done, but we are alloted 30 min

Not all govt jobs are fun... BRAC has a deadline and maybe we will rest after...I guess if I could re-take the poll things have changed... since I got the promotion... I leave work at 4 just so i can take the dogs out (we got a 45 min commute to our house from where we work)... get back to work by 5:30 and have been working until 10 or so. The hubby has been great by cooking dinners and doing chores around the house, but I am slightly worried as he is leaving for Drill Sgt school in a week or so... I am hopeful that they will hire someone to replace me or one of the other people that have left cause i'm still doing my old job while doing my new job and covering for the inspector they got rid of about a week before my promotion... but until then I will keep on keeping on.... as long as we can juggle the two houses and the bills i will work until i drop. But... let us serve as a reminder... military familys don't skate on ice... and no i am not even near the 6 figure range... like i said, combined income for an E-6 Army and mine... we are under 100k...

Edit: i work 7:30 to 4:00 and usually work thru lunch to get things done, but we are alloted 30 min
All that would break me, and in under one year I might add. Longer hours aren't bad for short periods of time, but the little things (no reading the news at lunch, flex time, micromanagement, etc.) would bother me to no end. I hope that things work out for you as your work situation is the very definition of roughing it.

There's no way you could hack it over here then...

0630 - 1800 Saturday thru Thursday

0700 - 1200 Friday (our one "off" day)

That is 24/7, 365 (except our 4 holidays during the year and 3 2-week R&R's)

There's no way you could hack it over here then...
0630 - 1800 Saturday thru Thursday

0700 - 1200 Friday (our one "off" day)

That is 24/7, 365 (except our 4 holidays during the year and 3 2-week R&R's)
I would argue to what end...Surely, there is more to life than work, but to each his own. As for not hacking it, you're right, but the difference is that I would never attempt hours like that in the first place. Anyway, I'm still amazed at those who have that kind of dedication and work ethic: I salute you. Seeing it is you are from Cincinnati as well, you must be one of those St. Xavier boys :). We've been trying to match them for years (Lasalle grad myself).

To the end that my last bi-weekly paycheck hit five figures...makes for a long day, but they pay us well to be 8,000 miles from home. I actually went to school out in the stix, Clermont Northeastern, probably never heard of it.

To the end that my last bi-weekly paycheck hit five figures...makes for a long day, but they pay us well to be 8,000 miles from home. I actually went to school out in the stix, Clermont Northeastern, probably never heard of it.
Nice! That is a whopper of a paycheck. Actually, I have heard of CNE. They had a high-jumper that was incredible (6'7" PR). His name was Cutler, I think.

Goesbeck, if you haven't figured it out yet, jeb is serving as a civilian in the desert somewhere (Afghanistan, I think). If he wasn't working those hours, it's not like he'd be spending quality time with his family.

Goesbeck, if you haven't figured it out yet, jeb is serving as a civilian in the desert somewhere (Afghanistan, I think). If he wasn't working those hours, it's not like he'd be spending quality time with his family.
Yep, Bagram, Afghanistan since beginning of July and going to the middle of July. So for the record, come July, I'll be back to a regular 40-hour work week and a normal paycheck again.

Sounds like they are in need of Project Engineers over here if anyone is interested. You can always come over as a Schedule A (contractor working for the Corps) so you don't necessarily have to be a USACE employee

Back