how many hours do you work

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what do you put in?

• 0-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11-20

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 21-30

• 31-40

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • 41-50

Votes: 55 52.9%
  • 51-60

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • 61-70

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 71-80

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 81-90

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 91-100

• I'm insane

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
I suppose I should specify...any time I have over 40 hours is overtime which is a little odd with the Gov't. For anyone below a GS-10/Step 1 you get time-and-a-half. For people who are higher than a GS-10/Step 1 your OT is calculated as 1.5 times the hourly rate for a GS-10/Step 1. That is what my OT rate will be until the day that I move up to a GS-12/Step 6 at which point my regular hourly rate will be higher than the 1.5x GS-10 rate so my OT will be my regular hourly rate. I have no idea where they came up with that, but that's what it is.
Can you put this into some sort of graph or table? I have no idea what you're talking about.
The GS grades and steps are just the Govt's fancy way of sorting out the hierarchy....

Just as an example an Engineering Tech would probably be a GS-10. I am a GS-11 Project Engineer, but withe my new job I will be jumping up to a GS-12. The steps are just little increments (there are ten) you can jump up between grades that are pretty much just based on your time in service. When I started I was a GS-11 Step 1, after I had been here for one year I jumped up to a GS-11 Step 2.

The GS grades and steps are just the Govt's fancy way of sorting out the hierarchy....
Just as an example an Engineering Tech would probably be a GS-10. I am a GS-11 Project Engineer, but withe my new job I will be jumping up to a GS-12. The steps are just little increments (there are ten) you can jump up between grades that are pretty much just based on your time in service. When I started I was a GS-11 Step 1, after I had been here for one year I jumped up to a GS-11 Step 2.
To quote Lewis Black: "I don't understand your GD number system!"

To quote Lewis Black: "I don't understand your GD number system!"
+1

Although I now understand why it takes so long for the government to process anything. They're too busy trying to figure out what "step" they're on at that second. "Wait, is it tuesday or wednesday? If it's tuesday then I'm an AC-10 step 3, but wednesday I'm an AC-11 step 5" (AC=ass clown) :D <-- sorry, had to say it. AC's the word of the week...

Last edited:
In the new job so far I've only been working 40, but I'm hoping as things get busier I can work 50's. I'm paid on the hour, so I wouldn't mind some OT.

Pretty much 40 - state worker. But sometimes when I'm ambitious I'll work 50 or a little more, trying to finish up the resume-stuffer projects. But I am totally exempt from any overtime compensation.

Paid for 40, no exceptions.

I work as many hours as needed to complete the work. Some weeks:35hrs, other weeks 60+, but I average 40-45. The office manager doesn't really care as long as 1. the work is done on time/under budget and 2. we average 40 hours. He understands that working 9-5 limits people's ability to get some personal business done (like going to the bank, dentist/doctor visits, etc), and as long as you make-up the time within a week or so, it's all good.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of working for free. My first job out of school was "salary", meaning working weekend outages was uncompensated. I have pretty much vowed never to do that again unless I'm starving.

I told a boss once that, within reason, I would do whatever he wanted so long as I got paid for the time. The company isn't a charitable organization and neither am I.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of working for free. My first job out of school was "salary", meaning working weekend outages was uncompensated. I have pretty much vowed never to do that again unless I'm starving.
My first job was like this too, it didn't bother me much because anything over 4 hours was paid or given comp time. So it really depends on the company.

I'm about the same as DexMan. I get paid for 40 hrs, no matter how many I put in. If I am traveling alot, that can add up to a 60-70 hr workweek if you count travel time as working. But I usually average around 40-45 hours or so.

How many hours you work? 35 per week

How many hours do you really work? In the winter 20, mostly paperwork, other 3 seasons 30 hours

For how many hours do you get paid? 35 per week

And this children is why as a government employee, I see the waste first hand. As a Union worker, way too much waste is out there. When I was in private sector, worked 40 hours per week, got paid for 40 hours per week.

Big government=Bad

Small government=Good

Big government with Union= Really Bad

How many hours you work? 40-60/week

How many hours do you really work? 30-40(more during outages)

For how many hours do you get paid? 40, I get OT (only paid ST though) if approved but its frowned upon and can be a reason to reduce performance based bonuses.

How many hours you work? 35 per weekHow many hours do you really work? In the winter 20, mostly paperwork, other 3 seasons 30 hours

For how many hours do you get paid? 35 per week

And this children is why as a government employee, I see the waste first hand. As a Union worker, way too much waste is out there. When I was in private sector, worked 40 hours per week, got paid for 40 hours per week.

Big government=Bad

Small government=Good

Big government with Union= Really Bad
Yea but its better than slave wages, I dont like waste either but its better than these uncompensated salery postions (unless the salery positions are 100$ an hour for 40 hrs) so that I can average out 60-80$/hr otherwise I would much prefer the protection a union offers, sometimes even if im compensated I just dont want to work more than 40 and I should not be strong armed into that through some enuendo or unsaid threat of not being promoted or what ever other tactic companies use etc. I have never had to take one of these uncompensated salery postions and now that im a PE with 5 years in I never will, so I dodged the bullet on that one. I dont understand some of these hours people work, and you got a BS in engineering why, its suppose to improve your quality of life not degrade it lol. I guess you can take some of these hard knocks out of the ditch digging pit but you cant take the ditch digging out of the hard knock lol.

uncompensated salery postions (unless the salery positions are 100$ an hour for 40 hrs)...... I have never had to take one of these uncompensated salery postions
You sure it's not "celery"? I am sure with your expertise you can get 100/hour - celery, of course!! :th_rockon:

uncompensated salery postions (unless the salery positions are 100$ an hour for 40 hrs)...... I have never had to take one of these uncompensated salery postions
You sure it's not "celery"? I am sure with your expertise you can get 100/hour - celery, of course!! :th_rockon:
That's exactly what I think of every time he writes that!

That's exactly what I think of every time he writes that!
I'm reminded of one of the cartoons my kids watch in the afternoons: The Wonder Pets. At the end of the show when their "missions" are complete, they all finish with a celebratory piece of celery (the characters are a guinea pig, a duckling, and a turtle)...

How do you feed your kids on less than 100k a year, it must be very hard (unless your wife works and makes the same or close to the same as you putting your combined income above 100k, but then the day care would eat you alive unless your mom watchs them but then you are in a very percarious situation relying on 2 jobs and mom just to make ends meet). I struggle just with my condo, student loans and basic bills at 80k a year with no kids. You must live in an area that has a SIGNIFICANTLY lower cost of living.

Back