How do you sign off your email?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Closing options

• Thank you

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Best

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sincerely

• Cheers

• Respectfully

• Regards

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • -(your name)

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Nothing

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
For those in the military, it's always (supposed to be!) "Respectfully," or "Very respectfully,", oftentimes abbreviated just R/, or V/r/,  And whoa to them who get it backwards.  But not me...  I don't play that!
That's when I picked it up...when I was in Afghanistan.  I kept the "v/r," because it seems like a good generic closing that works for everyone.  Sometimes I'll add a "Thanks, Jeb" before it or change the "v/r," to "Thanks," if it's something that's more informal.

I got out of the military in 2001, I don't recall sending a ton of emails back then to be honest, mainly I just recall the BN XO calling to cuss me out over the phone;)

There are also those with the "Consider the environment before printing this email" signatures.  

How about you stop putting that there so that when I print the email, it's not 2 pages longer than it should be.

Simply stated, I do no use a standard sign off.  Each situation warrants its own and thus I let the content of the email dictate.

Back