How do you lose a 777?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is basic critical path method - decrease the project duration by allocating additional resources to the critical activities. This submarine search seems to be the most critical activity in the world right now but there's only one sub working.

To illistrate just how long ago i lost interest in this story, when I clicked on the first unread button of this thread it took me to the first page on 3/10.

Since this thread is still active, I'll throw out a juicy conspiracy theory for you (that I hope our flyers can debunk):

Computer virus (or multiple viruses) installed before takeoff

-Shuts down communication.

-Vents cabin.

-Climbs to 45K ft to ensure everyone is frozen dead, if not asphyxiated yet.

- Then either the infected-autopilot carried the aircraft out into the middle of nowhere to hide the evidence, or else possibly the theory that the pilot tried to save the plane by heading for nearest airport once it wacked out comes into play, but then he is overtaken by life support systems he can't control.

And the really juicy part of the conspiracy theory? This was a test run.

Discuss:

(before rejecting the theory on grounds that the electronics in play aren't sophisticated enough to be manipulated by a traditional virus, also consider the possibility of a "dumb" virus, maybe even mechanical in origin, that accomplishes the same goal).

^I'm just happy to be flying an aircraft with a magneto based engine ignition and where the control surfaces are connected to the yoke by simple cables and pulleys.

I'll believe it crashed when I see evidence of it. Until then, it didn't crash. No holograms needed.

They only wasted 1.5 month searching the area before coming to the conclusion that what they were looking for wasn't there. That does nothing but reduce the likelihood that they find the plane elsewhere.

Hmmmm.

Was the pilot's name Schrodinger? Until they find something, it can be thought of as crashed and not crashed.........

Wasn't their a group of mapping scientist that said they found a plane over nw of India? Did they ever check that out?

Back