Home Beer - oops

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a vanilla cream ale for Christmas, and the whole 5 gallon batch would have been gone the first night (between me and 2 of my cousins) if I hadn't cut them off. My sister, BIL, 2 cousins and I killed it before the end of the weekend. It tasted awesome, but the vanilla addition to the keg (after fermentation) didn't mix well, so their was a "vein" of vanilla that was overpowering in the middle of the keg.
Weird. Why in the middle?

I haven't brewed since last fall and it's making me sad. At least I didn't have any mice get into my grain over the winter.
I have no idea...but it was good at the beginning, and good at the end, but in the middle, the vanilla was way too strong.

I made a vanilla cream ale for Christmas, and the whole 5 gallon batch would have been gone the first night (between me and 2 of my cousins) if I hadn't cut them off. My sister, BIL, 2 cousins and I killed it before the end of the weekend. It tasted awesome, but the vanilla addition to the keg (after fermentation) didn't mix well, so their was a "vein" of vanilla that was overpowering in the middle of the keg.
Weird. Why in the middle?

I haven't brewed since last fall and it's making me sad. At least I didn't have any mice get into my grain over the winter.
I have no idea...but it was good at the beginning, and good at the end, but in the middle, the vanilla was way too strong.
Was the serving temperature the same the whole time? If the beer you guys drank from the middle of the keg was consumed at a warmer or colder temp, the vanilla would have seemed more or less prominent. I'm now sure which way it would go, but probably more bitter at colder temps and sweeter/warmer as higher temps while the hop aroma, malt sweetness, and yeast would be less prominent at lower temps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can somebody recommend a good kit to get started with home brewing? I've been dipping my toe in the water long enough, it may be time to jump in.

My boss has a Mr. Beer kit and likes it quite a bit.

Mr Beer kits are okay, but won't last long. You probably got 2 weeks of fridge life before the hops fade and all you are left with it malt.

Northern Brewer and Midwest Homebrew Supplies do sales regularly. Just last week on groupon.com Midwest had a groupon for $67 for a $125 starter kit which included a recipe kit. Shipping wasn't included, but it is usually really cheap.

CHeck those places out and see if there is a local homebrew shop in your town or a homebrew club. There is always someone wanting to sell their starter kits to upgrade to the next level of addiction.

I would suggest finding a local homebrew store in your area. Not only will they have kits with the equipment you need, but the employees are usually knowledgeable about brewing. You can probably get the equipment and ingredients cheaper online, but the knowledge and support of the local store is worth the extra money.

I would suggest finding a local homebrew store in your area. Not only will they have kits with the equipment you need, but the employees are usually knowledgeable about brewing. You can probably get the equipment and ingredients cheaper online, but the knowledge and support of the local store is worth the extra money.
This.

Was getting started pretty easy? Meaning, was the first batch worth a crap, is the process fairly straight forward that even a ChE could pick it up?

My kids have become master "hard-cider" brewers. I swear at least once a week my wife and I will find a sippy-cup filled with juice stashed away and plenty ripe. I wouldnt imagine beer to be much more difficult... :p

Was getting started pretty easy? Meaning, was the first batch worth a crap, is the process fairly straight forward that even a ChE could pick it up?
Yes and yes. My first batch was an extract brew on my stove. It was an Irish Red that turned out pretty darn tasty. Especially with a couple weeks of age on it. The "hardest" part of extract brewing is not scorching the extract on the bottom of the pot when you are pouring it in. If you take your time and pour slowly and stir,stir,stir, then it will dissolve before hitting the bottom and blend in nicely.

RDWHAHB (Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew)

or in your case

RDWHACB (......... craft brew)

The brewing process sounds like something fun to do, I love touring breweries to see all the engineering at work. But I hate beer, blasmphemy I know, but I've never liked it.

The brewing process sounds like something fun to do, I love touring breweries to see all the engineering at work. But I hate beer, blasmphemy I know, but I've never liked it.
I started making beer before I ever liked it. I started with mead and wine which are both similar to extract beer brewing but the engineering behind all grain brewing pulled me in. Through research, I discovered my tastes and only brewed those styles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's super easy. Especially if you start out with an extract kit. My first batch ever was a Brewer's Best English Ale kit. It turned out absolutely awesome. After that, you don't require any further equipment to produce more extract beers/kits. If you want to start brewing all-grain recipes, you need more equipment. Ask SpeedyOx about that if you're interested...he knows WAY more about it than I do.

So those kits/ extracts actually make pretty good tasting beers? Do you bottle or keg your beers? What are the pros/cons for each?

So those kits/ extracts actually make pretty good tasting beers? Do you bottle or keg your beers? What are the pros/cons for each?
I started out bottling because the special equipment (bottling wand and capper) are cheaper than the special equipment (Cornelius keg, C02 tank, regulator, tap, etc.) required for kegging.

I have since "graduated" to kegging, and I love it. I bought a kegerator so that I can keep the kegs cold and dispense them easily. The carbonation process is a little different between bottling and kegging too.

I started out bottling because the special equipment (bottling wand and capper) are cheaper than the special equipment (Cornelius keg, C02 tank, regulator, tap, etc.) required for kegging.

I have since "graduated" to kegging, and I love it. I bought a kegerator so that I can keep the kegs cold and dispense them easily. The carbonation process is a little different between bottling and kegging too.
I started out kegging (I already had the system for carbonating mead) and have never bottle-carbonated a beer. The best things about kegging are that you don't have sediment in your beer (a turn off for many non-homebrewers and an inconvenience for everyone) and you don't have to bottle at all (though I choose to counter-pressure bottle anyway which requires even more equipment). The only disadvantage is cost of the equipment.

Back