Home Beer - oops

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr Beer kits are okay, but won't last long. You probably got 2 weeks of fridge life before the hops fade and all you are left with it malt.
Northern Brewer and Midwest Homebrew Supplies do sales regularly. Just last week on groupon.com Midwest had a groupon for $67 for a $125 starter kit which included a recipe kit. Shipping wasn't included, but it is usually really cheap.

CHeck those places out and see if there is a local homebrew shop in your town or a homebrew club. There is always someone wanting to sell their starter kits to upgrade to the next level of addiction.
I haven't had that problem yet. I have Mr. Beer and use their refills, or all malt recipes from a local brew store. I don't drink that much, and the Mr. Beer lets me experiment with different styles without having to worry about having two cases of something I don't like. I have had some of their bottles that lasted for a few years and still can taste the hops. It all depends on the recipe and care.

P.S. I was wrong on the fruit beer recipe. The can of fruit doesn't add much ferment-able sugar, but does add flavor.

I was able to track down that Groupon for the Midwest Supplies deal. Looks like my first beer will be an Irish Red Ale. Hope its as good as the Blueberry Lager that I'm drinking now.

I have a Amber Ale and Polynesian (where hops came from) Pilsner in the bottle conditioning. I have a honey cherry wheat and an agava Cinco de Mayo beer in fermenters. Once thoese are bottled, I am going to make a batch of Lime Beer for the wife before I head to Vietnam.

Do you bottle all of your beers or do you have a kegging system too?
I bottle. I don't drink enough to justify kegging. I tried a one gallon keg, but was unsure how to clean it after use. I do use mostly 12 oz glass bottles. I got a dozen 16oz swing-tops I will try soon. I also use some 1L PET bottles (especially if I am worried about pressure). I also use 20oz and 16oz coke bottles if I want to take part of the batch with me to the golf course or fishing so I don't feel bad about throwing the bottle away after pouring it into a cup. I have done 2L bottles in the past, but usually requires pouring into a pitcher.

I noticed that I haven't messed around with making anything since 2007. WOW, time flies with grad school and kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
I brewed the Irish Red Ale kit from Midwest on Saturday morning. Later that evening the yeast were happily peeing alcohol and farting CO2 as the airlock was bubbling constantly. The whole process wasn't too bad for the first time, but now I've rehashed everything I did and have almost convinced myself that I screwed everything up. It seems to be a similar process to the PE. You leave the test site feeling pretty good but by the time you get the results you're sure you didn't get one right.

I also brewed an Irish Red Ale this weekend, though not from a kit. The fermenter was going nutzo last night with constant bubbling. I can't wait to get a taste.

I bottled my copper ale. I am dubious that it will be a good batch, but we shall see in 2 weeks time.

Is there an aging process for carbonation if you keg the beer? or does it get "force carbed" from the CO2 tank upon being dispensed?

Yes and no. The beer will be carbonated faster when force carbonating in a keg, but it won't necessarily be ready to drink. Most, if not all, beers improve with age. Bottle conditioning is usually 3+ weeks (I use 1, 2, 3...1 week in the primary fermenter, 2 weeks in the secondary, 3 weeks in the bottle/keg) before drinking. If you drink it too soon, it may have some by-products of the fermentation process that could make your beer taste like it is spoiled. Some of those by-products go away over time.

I know that I didn't like my 2nd batch (Fat Tire Amber Ale clone) for a good 6 months after I brewed it. The last 12 bottles or so were consumed this year (~3 years after brewing), and they tasted completely different than the first 6 months. It mellowed out a lot, and the taste evolved.

Brewed an American IPA this weekend. It was colder than hell here in MO and raining to boot.

Used Citra hops and Falconer's Flight. Both are big, citrusy, funky aroma and flavor contributors. IBU's is around 52, so not a major pucker-punch, but still good in my books.

I bottled an Irish Red Ale and may have made some bottle bombs. I used the sugar for a full 5 gallon batch but had just over 4 gallons in the bottles. Hopefully it turns out ok. I also brewed a wheat beer on Saturday. The machine gun of the airlock on sunday mesmerized the weiner dog for hours.

I bottled an Irish Red Ale and may have made some bottle bombs. I used the sugar for a full 5 gallon batch but had just over 4 gallons in the bottles. Hopefully it turns out ok. I also brewed a wheat beer on Saturday. The machine gun of the airlock on sunday mesmerized the weiner dog for hours.
It must be Irish Red Ale season. I just brewed one (it's carbonating right now), my buddy just brewed his first batch ever and it was an Irish Red, and you just brewed one.

It was one of the options for the kit that comes with the Groupon deal a couple of weeks ago. That was my reason, and Killians out of the tap is like candy to me so I figured I'd give it a try.

Back