Home Beer - oops

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I went downstairs to check on my fermenter this morning, and I've had a blowout. There is wort, yeast, and hops all over the lid and inside of the airlock. I got some sterilizing water, and cleaned it all up and reinstalled the airlock. I worked out, then checked on it again. Some of the airlock water had already blown out of it again. I replaced the airlock with my racking tube run to a glass of water. This yeast is ACTIVE!
This sounds EXACTLY like something that happens to me, like, twice daily.

Maybe I have a yeast infection? I hadn't ever thought of that.

Thanks!

I usually make a 5 gallon batch when I brew. I take two gallons of water and put them in the freezer as soon as I start brewing and then use that to cool the wort down later. I still need to put the boiling pot in an ice bath, but it helps bring it down to temperature a lot faster.

I'm kinda worried about this one being contaminated because I used ice from my fridge to cool the wort...plus, it was exposed to air between the blowout and when I discovered it. I haven't had to flush one yet, but this one probably has the highest probability.

I grabbed a taste while I was transferring from the primary to secondary last night. The batch is not contaminated, and it tastes like pure win.

I gotta start thinking of a recipe for mini-mizzou2's birth. I made a massive hop bomb for #1, it turned out okay, but I think I went overboard.

I'm thinking a Rye Pale Ale with a fruit infusion and citra hops. Not sure on the fruit, looking for something unique. Has to be something that goes well with spicy and citrus.

I gotta start thinking of a recipe for mini-mizzou2's birth. I made a massive hop bomb for #1, it turned out okay, but I think I went overboard.
I'm thinking a Rye Pale Ale with a fruit infusion and citra hops. Not sure on the fruit, looking for something unique. Has to be something that goes well with spicy and citrus.
Mango or apricot

I brewed yesterday, using a malt extract kit from midwest. It has been sitting on a shelf in the garage for awhile, so I hope it turns out ok. It's been over a year since I brewed last. Brewing this weekend reminded me why I used to do it. Just a simple copper ale to get back into the swing of things.

I made a vanilla cream ale for Christmas, and the whole 5 gallon batch would have been gone the first night (between me and 2 of my cousins) if I hadn't cut them off. My sister, BIL, 2 cousins and I killed it before the end of the weekend. It tasted awesome, but the vanilla addition to the keg (after fermentation) didn't mix well, so their was a "vein" of vanilla that was overpowering in the middle of the keg.

Anyone have a good and EASY strawberry ale recipe? Local brewery makes a fantastic one that sells out all the time.

Anyone have a good and EASY strawberry ale recipe? Local brewery makes a fantastic one that sells out all the time.
Take a good ale recipe, and add 1 can of pureed canned strawberry pie filling per 2 gallons of beer you are making. You might use two or three cans for a 5 gallon batch of beer. Be sure to puree in blender, and add after adding the malt to your wort, and mix well before adding yeast. Allow extra time for fermenting up to 14 days. You can experiment with using other pie filling's such as cherry, apple, blueberry or blackberry.

Take a good ale recipe, and add 1 can of pureed canned strawberry pie filling per 2 gallons of beer you are making. You might use two or three cans for a 5 gallon batch of beer. Be sure to puree in blender, and add after adding the malt to your wort, and mix well before adding yeast. Allow extra time for fermenting up to 14 days. You can experiment with using other pie filling's such as cherry, apple, blueberry or blackberry.

P.S. The additional sugars from the fruit pie fillings will increase the alcohol by about 1.5% abv per can per two gallons. So this would increase your standard 4.6% abv beer to 6.1%, or you can cut out some malt to lower the abv.

I will be making a Cherry Honey Wheat starting next week. I will let it ferment for a couple of weeks, and then condition for 6 weeks so it should be good when I get back from Vietnam/Cambodia. I am not sure what else I will make in the other 2 gallon fermenter at the same time. Either a light pilsner, a standard Red Ale, or go ahead and start a strong Oktoberfest for the fall to allow it to age.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a vanilla cream ale for Christmas, and the whole 5 gallon batch would have been gone the first night (between me and 2 of my cousins) if I hadn't cut them off. My sister, BIL, 2 cousins and I killed it before the end of the weekend. It tasted awesome, but the vanilla addition to the keg (after fermentation) didn't mix well, so their was a "vein" of vanilla that was overpowering in the middle of the keg.
Weird. Why in the middle?

I haven't brewed since last fall and it's making me sad. At least I didn't have any mice get into my grain over the winter.

Back