Having a back-up plan

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably start a small metal fab/mobile shop.  There's enough work in this area for fab and repairs on signs, entry gates, stair rails, boats, etc. to at least keep busy.  
One of my classmates actually did that.  He had the fab shop before he went to school, but in recent years it has gotten busy enough he quit his engineering job to work in his fab shop full time.

Even that would be debatable if there's a bunch of overlap into composite fabrics/materials.

Hmm can't say I agree with that.  What majors are at risk of being discontinued?  Source?
Mining is really on a downslide right now. It wont fizzle out completely but the demand for mining engineers is a fraction of what it once was. 

Mining is really on a downslide right now. It wont fizzle out completely but the demand for mining engineers is a fraction of what it once was. 
I wonder if that will shift any as battery demand increases exponentially in the coming years.

You should read Rocket Boys 

9780440333876_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg

Hmm can't say I agree with that.  What majors are at risk of being discontinued?  Source?
Nuclear Engineering as a major was getting phased out during the 90s and early 00s. Eventually getting down to less than 20 schools. It's since stabilized and even had a brief uptick at the graduate level. But with the "nuclear renaissance" effectively dead, I would expect more programs to close up shop again. I doubt there will be many operating nuclear plants by the time I retire. I wouldn't recommend the major to anyone in high school now. The undergrad programs that survive will probably shift into something closer to Medical Physics or Radiological Engineering; traditional Nuclear Engineering might just become a graduate level major, similar to the few remaining Health Physics programs.

I would think textile engineering would be one that might be on the way out?
Yep, see below

Interesting. I didn't even know that was a thing.
Yes, there are a few niche programs out there, along with the super in-demand polymer and fiber engineering and paper engineering!

Even that would be debatable if there's a bunch of overlap into composite fabrics/materials.
Yes, most of these program have just been consolidated into material science programs.

I doubt it'll ever go away entirely. Mining in general moves in cycles. We'll always need raw materials from the ground.

I wonder if that will shift any as battery demand increases exponentially in the coming years.
Maybe, maybe not? IIRC most lithium reserves are outside the US, and are often found in salt flats. Edit: I forgot about rare earth metals which is a totally different story, so yeah it could pick up again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nuclear Engineering as a major was getting phased out during the 90s and early 00s. Eventually getting down to less than 20 schools. It's since stabilized and even had a brief uptick at the graduate level. But with the "nuclear renaissance" effectively dead, I would expect more programs to close up shop again. I doubt there will be many operating nuclear plants by the time I retire. I wouldn't recommend the major to anyone in high school now. The undergrad programs that survive will probably shift into something closer to Medical Physics or Radiological Engineering; traditional Nuclear Engineering might just become a graduate level major, similar to the few remaining Health Physics programs.

Yep, see below

Yes, there are a few niche programs out there, along with the super in-demand polymer and fiber engineering and paper engineering!

Yes, most of these program have just been consolidated into material science programs.

I doubt it'll ever go away entirely. Mining in general moves in cycles. We'll always need raw materials from the ground.

Maybe, maybe not? IIRC most lithium reserves are outside the US, and are often found in salt flats. Edit: I forgot about rare earth metals which is a totally different story, so yeah it could pick up again.
It would be nice to see an uptick.  My opinion may be shortsided but I think the heyday may be going out with the coal industry. It will just be a smaller piece of the pie but it will always be around. 

One major that actually has been discontinued at all but a small handful of universities is Metallurgical Engineering.  Some schools replaced it with Materials Science & Engineering which is really a completely different major but many have simply dropped it due to lack of enrollment.  Job prospects for metallurgical engineers in the U.S. have been flat or negative for the past 35 years.  Others that may be discontinued at many universities include Nuclear and Petroleum.   No one wants to major in Petroleum Engineering because it's a boom-or-bust occupation. That was made clear when the largest oil refinery in the western hemisphere was closed in 2012 and there are no plans to re-open it.  That was the Hovensa refinery in St. Croix, USVI.  Also how many new nuclear energy facilities are being built in the U.S.?  I don't know of a single one.   Those are majors to avoid.  

Also how many new nuclear energy facilities are being built in the U.S.?  I don't know of a single one.   
Two in Georgia, not counting the DOE nuclear work.  Much bigger prospects for those wanting to work internationally.

What would you do if your engineering career flamed out whether at age 25, 40 or 55?  Do you have a back-up plan on how you would make a living if you could not continue as an engineer?   
Tough question because the future is never clear. When I started my first company, I had business plans with entrance and exit strategies, back up plans from A up to plan G, but I made many mistakes when it came to execution. Took me a couple of years to recover and I learned to keep raw irrational emotion under control. Probably the best back up plan, in my opinion, is to have a land/property and/or house of your own-free and clear of encumbrances, so if all your plans fail, you're not homeless. Just my 2 cents.

Back