Happy Spring 2012!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In order to solve a few problems in the back yard, ie a dogging mud path and some trenching that tore up some grass due to repair work recently, I am installing a flowebed. Border is in, loosened the dirt by hand for the first half and then a friend heard and brought me a rototiller this morning, weed blocker is down and now I have about 5 plants in the ground. Hope to finish this weekend!!!! I love playing in the dirt.

It was beautiful here today. Met some folks from a dogwalking group and went to my favorite spot for an easy 5-mile loop. First time I have been able to get my dog out totally unrestricted since she got $1500 worth of fishing line in place of her torn ACL. She overdid it, and is basically refusing to stand up this afternoon, but it's a step back to normal health. I loaded her up on Rimadyl when I got home, but she's still very uncomfrtabke. One of the women I was walking with had a 5-month old black Lab being trained for service work. Epic cutness ensued.

It was a great weekend for doing yard work (not to mention Earth Day on Sun.). Laid down 4 yards of shredded mulch via two 5-gallon buckets. Back is a bit sore today though...LOL. Also got around to thatching portions of the lawn and split/moved a good number of hostas. They tend to get gigantic if you let them get out of control. Everything looks good though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got some decent rain this weekend. Carrots are going good, but cukes and peppers probably have a 50% survival rate. Lettuce is starting to pop up.

Finally got some decent rain this weekend. Carrots are going good, but cukes and peppers probably have a 50% survival rate. Lettuce is starting to pop up.
Planted our veggies this weekend. Put out cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, and zucchini. Will plant some watermelon and cantaloupe next weekend after I get our last raised bed filled with dirt.

We spotted our first cuke yesterday! Down to five cuke plants (three in ground, two in pots), two squash plants in pots. Five or six in ground carrots (cats decimated them), five pepper plants (3 ground, 2 pots) and two tomato plants.

We picked our first squash yesterday!

Based on the local prices for produce, the cukes we've gotten so far are well on the way to paying for the garden.

Back