Happy Spring 2012!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ Our waterbill is setup based off of a winter-use baseline. They basically average our usage from Nov-Feb and use that to calculate our sewer & water rates. Then they establish a tier system based on that average: There's a Tier 1 rate for indoor use (~$4 per 1000gal for up to 5000 gal), a tier 2 rate for outdoor use (~$5 with a max based on irrigated area), then have tiers 3 & 4 to handle excess use with progressive costs based on excess use.

The joys of living in a semi-arid area within a water conservation district. They take their usage very seriously.

Bring some of that dirt my way, Dex. There is a low spot in my backyard between the neighbor's property line and the middle of mine (high at fence, dips, back up in the middle, then gradual slope towards other neighbor). Because of it, the grass in that area is a nightmare. Even a light rain makes you feel like you're walking on a sponge, as it gets all muddy and perpetually "squishes" beneath your feet for days until it dries out.

Most of the dirt we have in the backyard is clay, so it gets the same way. It makes the top 1/2" get very slippery and nasty and the grade below it rock solid once it dries. The material I'd be hauling in is a sandy top-soil material which should help when I rototill it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dex - took some Aussie friends to Canyonlands and Arches this past weekend. Couldn't believe the temps. in the desert. Trees were budding in your neck of the woods. Heck, I barely have snow in my front yard here at 9,950'.

1403_randyWheelBarrowA.jpg

****, I've give good money to see Canyonlands and Arches again.
I'm headed out there the day after Thansgiving. Planning to do the White Rim trail at Canyonlands. Hoping to mountain bike it while some of my friends drive. Camping out there two night.

cdc is right, airfare is horrendous, looking at $500+ to fly into Grand Junction. Not much less to Salt Lake City.

Moab is an awesome town, you'll love it.

The two parks are something like 25 miles apart, but you feel like you are in completely different places. If you get the chance, Mesa Verde is about 3 hours in one direction, Petrified Forest several hours in the other direction. Both are amazing places. Walnut Canyon and Meteor Crater are also in the vicinity. did an amazing roadtrip of the desert southwest in 06, I'd be happy to play travel agent.

Last spring I did a big tour of Arizona (my dad spends the winters near Tucson and I go out for a week every year). Hit Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Sunset Crater Volcano, stood on a corner in Winslow Arizona, saw Meteor Crater, and toured the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert. It was an awesome trip.

Mesa Verde looks cool, and I'd also like to see Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly.

From the seedlings we planted two weeks ago, we planted 40 carrots and 18 peppers in the garden. Need to make another garden for the onions and cukes. We also still have some lettuce seeds to be planted.

Picked up some weed and feed for the front yard. need to get some atrazine to kill out the bahaia, too.

Planted 16 cucumber and 13 white onion plants this weekend as well as a ton of lettuce and carrot seeds. carrot plants are starting to mature nicely.

Today, I hope to get 60 border blocks so my silly azz doesn't mow over the gardens.

I got 5 seed packets for a buck at Walgreens. All those plants were a result of the seeds, so i guess it turned out well.

But the cats think we made it for them to use as a litterbox. we'll see how all that turns out.

Put atrazine on the front yard last week. we'll see how it does on bahaia killin'.

Back