Govt. Jobs (Civil Engineering) in Philadelphia area?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoLucky

PE GAL
Reaction score
What are the chances of finding a governement job in Philadelphia general area? Any thoughts/ suggestions?

I know there are a lot of positions open in the Aberdeen Prooving Grounds but that is in northern Maryland near the bay. Probably an hour or less from Philadelphia.

What are the chances of finding a governement job in Philadelphia general area? Any thoughts/ suggestions?
I take it back...

The army, air force, navy, marines and coast guard are always hiring.
I dont think that is nesscarily true, unless you are talking about enlistment but thats not engineering and even the AF was working to get people out. You can always sign up to be cannon fauder in the army which is not gov engineering jobs. I dont think you went through a BS degree and a PE to be cannon fauder lol, you could have done that right out of high school or to get yelled at like you are a 3 year old.

Last edited:
Do gov engineering jobs pay anything?
Mine does. And I'm sure it's a lot more than the unemployment I'd probably be getting now if I had stayed in the job I had before.
Yea thats a really sad reality and makes someone want to work just hard enough not to get fired. I wonder if we will see this situation discourage young people from entering engineering, why go through the hassel if they are not seeing there senior counterparts reap any rewards. I dont recommend engineering to people anymore because you can make just as much money doing other random things (air traffic controler, etc), without the grill of a BS in engineering and all the rigomoreroll that comes with getting your PE and then maintaining it through continuing education, its embarrasing to tell people considering engineering that people with a PE and experience (ie not entry level) are making less than 6 figures, its like whats the point. I am doing my continuing education that should tide me over for 3 years and if I cant make a nice fatty well into the 6 figure income range I might start looking at something else, especially with the devaluation of the dollar, 6 figures wont even be all that pretty soon.

Last edited:
Mine does. And I'm sure it's a lot more than the unemployment I'd probably be getting now if I had stayed in the job I had before.
Yea thats a really sad reality and makes someone want to work just hard enough not to get fired. I wonder if we will see this situation discourage young people from entering engineering, why go through the hassel if they are not seeing there senior counterparts reap any rewards. I dont recommend engineering to people anymore because you can make just as much money doing other random things (air traffic controler, etc), without the grill of a BS in engineering and all the rigomoreroll that comes with getting your PE and then maintaining it through continuing education, its embarrasing to tell people considering engineering that people with a PE and experience (ie not entry level) are making less than 6 figures, its like whats the point. I am doing my continuing education that should tide me over for 3 years and if I cant make a nice fatty well into the 6 figure income range I might start looking at something else, especially with the devaluation of the dollar, 6 figures wont even be all that pretty soon.
It is discouraging. I am just hoping that this is our March 6 2009 and that big things are on the horizon.

or not

It is discouraging. I am just hoping that this is our March 6 2009 and that big things are on the horizon.

or not
Big things attached to big pay checks otherwise its just more hard work and low pay. If one is going to make low pay they might as well just work in R&D, alot more fun than projects. There is talk where I am at that things are going to be picking up and when it happens contractor preference will change so I will be switched to a new contractor with a 40% raise, just waiting for that process to start.

Last edited:
I take it back...

The army, air force, navy, marines and coast guard are always hiring.
I dont think that is nesscarily true, unless you are talking about enlistment but thats not engineering and even the AF was working to get people out. You can always sign up to be cannon fauder in the army which is not gov engineering jobs. I dont think you went through a BS degree and a PE to be cannon fauder lol, you could have done that right out of high school or to get yelled at like you are a 3 year old.
Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about. You don't know anything about the military, military engineering, or civil service. Try speaking on topics you actually know something about. If you do that, perhaps we will have less of your rambling nonsensical posts.

I know A LOT of people who have a BS who are Infantry Officers who would not take very kindly to your statements..

former 11bravo myself, enjoyed getting yelled at, being cannon fauder, and will always consider it the top's of any institution to be aprt of, you may be suprised at how it looks on a resume also.. but good luck with the job search.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I know A LOT of people who have a BS who are Infantry Officers who would not take very kindly to your statements..

former 11bravo myself, enjoyed getting yelled at, being cannon fauder, and will always consider it the top's of any institution to be aprt of, you may be suprised at how it looks on a resume also.. but good luck with the job search.....
:unitedstates:

Last edited by a moderator:

You have to have a Bachelors to be an officer of any sort so it stands to reason that infantry officers would have a Bachelors, im just saying its not engineering work (BTW I was an 09S and I HATED IT, I got out before going to OCS but I know a little about the process and the army in general). Sure any officer can have any degree even a BS in engineering (it would make me question how much they really wanted to be an engineer if they chose infantry over engineering, why even choose such a difficult major if your not going ot use it, anyways thats neither here nor there) but they are not preforming an engineering role so I Would not call that "job openings" in engineering, maybe last ditch despiration before starving on the streets (BTW that would send an awesome message to young people thinking about engineering lol, they would be thinking twice thats for sure). There is the army corp of engineers which is mostly civilian, I have heard the army corp is hard to get into as an actual army officer so im not sure what it is the other army engineers are doing? Anyways my point was thoes are not really viable job options for most engineers. If we keep minimizing the engineer and engineering degrees we will be like Haiti in a few generations.

Im not sure how having infantry officer on your resume would help you unless the interviewer was prior military AND liked it, I have met several people in engineering and design that were prior military and were not so gun ho, its like having a frat on your resume (I saw very little difference between (the non training events, like drill sgt time, etc) basic training and frat hazing, only looks good if the person interviewing you was greek otherwise its just wasting space on your resume. I think its funny that society accepts certian basic training treatment (not talking about the marksmanship, etc) and military indoctrination in general and frown upon frat hazing which are basicly the same thing, with the military its toughenning you up into a man and with the frat its senseless brutality LOL even though its exactly the same thing for the most part.

When I was down in colorado there was massive outcry about hazing at boulder, oh man front page news and on and on, then that marine died in basic by drowning in a pool and it blew over like nothing happened I dont even think the drill sgt was charged with man slaughter, he might have lost a strip and had some remedial training and that was about it if that even really happened who knows because it blew over so fast LOL.

In short unless its as a civilian the military is not a viable job option for most people and joining for lack of a better job is not a good reason to join the military.

Last edited:

You have to have a Bachelors to be an officer of any sort so it stands to reason that infantry officers would have a Bachelors, im just saying its not engineering work (BTW I was an 09S and I HATED IT, I got out before going to OCS but I know a little about the process and the army in general). Sure any officer can have any degree even a BS in engineering (it would make me question how much they really wanted to be an engineer if they chose infantry over engineering, why even choose such a difficult major if your not going ot use it, anyways thats neither here nor there) but they are not preforming an engineering role so I Would not call that "job openings" in engineering, maybe last ditch despiration before starving on the streets (BTW that would send an awesome message to young people thinking about engineering lol, they would be thinking twice thats for sure). There is the army corp of engineers which is mostly civilian, I have heard the army corp is hard to get into as an actual army officer so im not sure what it is the other army engineers are doing? Anyways my point was thoes are not really viable job options for most engineers. If we keep minimizing the engineer and engineering degrees we will be like Haiti in a few generations.

Im not sure how having infantry officer on your resume would help you unless the interviewer was prior military AND liked it, I have met several people in engineering and design that were prior military and were not so gun ho, its like having a frat on your resume (I saw very little difference between (the non training events, like drill sgt time, etc) basic training and frat hazing, only looks good if the person interviewing you was greek otherwise its just wasting space on your resume. I think its funny that society accepts certian basic training treatment (not talking about the marksmanship, etc) and military indoctrination in general and frown upon frat hazing which are basicly the same thing, with the military its toughenning you up into a man and with the frat its senseless brutality LOL even though its exactly the same thing for the most part.

When I was down in colorado there was massive outcry about hazing at boulder, oh man front page news and on and on, then that marine died in basic by drowning in a pool and it blew over like nothing happened I dont even think the drill sgt was charged with man slaughter, he might have lost a strip and had some remedial training and that was about it if that even really happened who knows because it blew over so fast LOL.

In short unless its as a civilian the military is not a viable job option for most people and joining for lack of a better job is not a good reason to join the military.
How about joining for the retirement package?

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalpay/...tirementpay.htm

I sure would like to retire at 37 and then go and pursue my engineering career...

Are you comparing the "hazing" in order to drink beers and pick up girls to "hazing" to go fight in a war? That is kind of a leap...

you my friend, are a maroon. Please stop talking now.

you my friend, are a maroon. Please stop talking now.
Im not sure what a maroon is but it does not sound very nice, not sure why you have to be mean.

Back