Getting a Smartphone

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there free APPs worth having and where might i find them?

DVINNY are you trying to make me regret my iphone purchase before i get it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Barcode scanner app was free for my Android.
And mine came with the Navigation turn by turn software (TomTom) already installed on the phone. not an app add-on
mr snick has used the navigation on his droid a couple times already when his garmin crapped out on him while he was in the middle of nowheresville Iowa.

it eats the battery life up much faster though when in use so you have to remember to turn the gps signal off when down using it

Are there free APPs worth having and where might i find them?
DVINNY are you trying to make me regret my iphone purchase before i get it?
Unless you jailbreak your phone, you have to get all of your Apps through the Apple App Store. It can be accessed either from the iPhone or through iTunes on your computer. There are a ton of free Apps, and every App has a rating on the App Store to use as a guideline to which ones are worth having.

If you are into sports, I recommend ESPN ScoreCenter.

badal,

I have friends that own an Iphone, and it is an awesome phone. However, my neighbor just turned in his Iphone two weeks ago and picked up my same phone.

While playing poker, we 'tested' our phones. We would google the same things at the same times, and mine would pull websites up almost twice as fast as his.

We do not have a very good AT&T set-up around here. So that is the reason. I've heard in bigger cities, the Iphone is just as fast, and no problems.

So I think it really depends on your location.

^I get great phone reception on drill weekends; especially when I'm enjoying a little R&R on the interstate parking lots up in the District.

AT&T MAY have been dragging thier feet on the 3g stuff because they're now just announcing 4g, which is much faster than 3g, so all that may go away....anyway, here's the apps I use the most

ESPN

Weather.com

Facebook

WRAL <--They're a local station that has an app

BB&T for banking

Amazon

Craigspro <-- Craigslist

EBAY

Southwest <-- great for checking in on flights!

Birthdays <-- So I don't forget anyone's

Shazam <-- GREAT music App!!!

Pandora <-- Another GREAT music app

Aroundme .... for finding just about anything around you

Alarm Clock

Flashlight

Battery Magic

iBartender

Gauge <-- Gives you a "Blood Alchohol content" based on time, weight, and number of drinks....not 100% accurate, but probably closer than you would think.

DIRECTV ... To set the recorders to record shows, from the phone

Google

Google Earth

Red Laser

BC Reader <-- Business card reader

Most of those are free...that should get you started anyway

pandora app...so easy a baby can use it. Literally...mr snick has it on his droid and minisnick can change the songs

Back