Getting a Smartphone

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodal

Reaction score
Looks like the company is going to pick up my cell phone bill and get me a smartphone. I've never had a smartphone so i dont know which is better by experence. i want a good camera, easy/good email function and reliable signal. the rest is just icing on an electronic cake. Of course theres the Iphone, 3, 3GS and 4, but i'm not sure i want an iphone. i have had sony erricsons for about 4 years and like them. so i was looking at the Eperia X10 or maybe the HTC Aria. Ive read what seems like a few hundred reviews on them all, but still dont know which one of these or any other that stands out on ATT network.

You guys have any opinions?

My wife has the HTC Eris on the Verizon Network. She loves it as a mobile device, but HATES it as a phone. For work, I would think a Crackberry would be the way to go. But if it will also be you personal cell, you will likely want a Droid based phone or an iPhone. My BIL has an iPhone and loves it.

I have the Samsung Mesmerize DROID, it is incredible. My wife has the HTC Desire Droid. she likes it very well, but compared, I'd take my Samsung anyday.

It is great for phone, internet, messaging, camera, camcorder is OK but is its weaker point (comes out dark alot)

You need to ask yourself only one question...

...which one is compatible with EB.com? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with iPhone or Android. I have the Samsung Epic 4G (Android) on Sprint and love it.

I had a TREO before I got the Iphone.....I can't imagine not having this thing now! It's everything to me, and everythig it does works great in my opinion. I think the ONLY thing I would change is the lack of a light for the camera, but I think the Iphone 4 even fixes that.

Only three things I don't like about the Blackberry:

- Custom functions are a PITA to set up

- Small screen makes it difficult to read PDF's

- Tiny keyboard, takes me twice as long to type compared to my regular LG phone

I have a samsung blackJACK at work (blackberry knock off) its functional but I wouldnt choose it if I was buying it

I had a treo before and actually liked it back in the day, it was great for email and such, but no so good for web browsing or much of anything else, plus it was also very heavy..

My wife has an Iphone and I think thats the way I would go if I ever got a personal smartphone

I've got a Motorola Droid2 Global from Verizon. I like it so far. First few days were a little annoying due to short battery life. The battery life is much better since I installed an app killer to make sure it's only running what I want it to run at any given time.

My only knowledge of the new iPhone is that a friend just got one and the reception is crap. He's losing a lot of calls and sound quality on the line is worse than his old iPhone.

I love my iPhone, but I hate AT&T's service. I'm going to watch the Verizon iPhone launch very carefully, then make my decision whether to switch immediately and get an iPhone 4, or wait for the release of the iPhone 5 around June. If I wait, I'll avoid about $80 in early termination fees.

We use verizon because the reception I get in my plant is best in my location. AT&T is barely workable and Sprint you lose the signal when you walk in the building...

We just upgraded to smartphones on Black Friday and my wife and I both got the Samsung Fascinate (free with no activation), so we just had to signup for contract extension (we were ready for upgrade) and the data plan. We asked our parents for money for Christmas for the data plan.

The camera / video on these things are pretty good in comparison with other things we've attempted to use (handhelds / etc.). it's no SLR, but pretty damn good for something in your pocket at any given time.

The screen is super bright and I like the swype technology, I've gotten used to it and it's super fast to text or type messages.

As long as you are in a "3G" area...it will be. If you're not, well....It's not quite as good, but not bad either. I can tell you the apps that I have that I use the most.

As long as you are in a "3G" area...it will be. If you're not, well....It's not quite as good, but not bad either. I can tell you the apps that I have that I use the most.
Please do. Does the bar code scanner app work on the 3gs? Does it come with the "tomtom" feature? Will it cook me breakfast?

so many questions so little time...

Please do. Does the bar code scanner app work on the 3gs? Does it come with the "tomtom" feature? Will it cook me breakfast?

so many questions so little time...
I have RedLaser (bar code scanner app, $1.99 when I bought it). It works great, and I use it a ton. The iPhone doesn't come with turn-by-turn GPS software, but there are several to choose from in the App Store at varying price points. It won't cook you breakfast, but you can use it to look up recipes for breakfast.

what do you use the bar code scanner for?
Two unrelated things.

1. To price check things online when I'm shopping at brick & mortar stores. If I can get a much better deal online (price + shipping << price + tax), I'll wait and order it online when I get home.

1a. To scan something interesting that I find in the store that I want to research when I get home.

2. To find out the part number and/or manufacturer of burned things that I investigate at work. A lot of cheap Chinese shit that Wal-Mart sells doesn't have any kind of manufacturer markings on it, but if I can find a bar code, then I can find out who to sue. Since cheap Chinese shit sold at Wal-Mart catches fire a lot, this feature comes in handy.

what do you use the bar code scanner for?
Two unrelated things.

1. To price check things online when I'm shopping at brick & mortar stores. If I can get a much better deal online (price + shipping << price + tax), I'll wait and order it online when I get home.

1a. To scan something interesting that I find in the store that I want to research when I get home.

2. To find out the part number and/or manufacturer of burned things that I investigate at work. A lot of cheap Chinese shit that Wal-Mart sells doesn't have any kind of manufacturer markings on it, but if I can find a bar code, then I can find out who to sue. Since cheap Chinese shit sold at Wal-Mart catches fire a lot, this feature comes in handy.
interesting...I think Mr snick might like that app if available for non-iphones.

you just reaffirmed why I don't buy plug in type stuff from walmart.

Barcode scanner app was free for my Android.

And mine came with the Navigation turn by turn software (TomTom) already installed on the phone. not an app add-on

Back