Get ready, because I'm about to blow your mind

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In SW Oklahoma it was always called Coke, followed by what kind? Coca-Cola, Orange Soda, ect...
My son calls my Shiner Bock beer "Mountain Goat Juice" because of the picture of the Mountain Goat on the bottle.
Do you mean the ram? I guess its kind of the same thing, but Shiner calls it a ram.

In High School we got a student from Louisiana as a transfer student and he called it "a cold drink."

Being a "pop" guy, this confused the heck out of me.

Can I get a confirmation on a cold drink???

I grew up in Texas, and we always called them cokes. Occasionally, people would call them sodas. When I went to school in Illinois and now that I live in Iowa, everybody calls it pop. I've always thought that sounded silly. Pop is what a cool guy in the '50s called his father, and pop also makes me think of Michael Jackson (King of Pop, you know), which makes me lose my appetite. Anyway, I continue to call them cokes, and I will never call them pop.

apparently when I call it pop in my Chicago accent it still confuses some people here in central IL.
I still don't know what a chicago accent is, but have been told on many occassions I have one.
A coworker in north Florida told me after a year there that I’d lost my Michigan accent. I didn’t know that I had an accent… or that I had lost it.
There's a Michigan accent? I always thought people from Michigan spoke in the non-accent that news reporters use.
Hence my bewilderment

Folks from northern Michigan (Da Yoop) frequently have a "Fargo" accent but I've never lived up there.

apparently when I call it pop in my Chicago accent it still confuses some people here in central IL.
I still don't know what a chicago accent is, but have been told on many occassions I have one.
A coworker in north Florida told me after a year there that I’d lost my Michigan accent. I didn’t know that I had an accent… or that I had lost it.
There's a Michigan accent? I always thought people from Michigan spoke in the non-accent that news reporters use.
Hence my bewilderment

Folks from northern Michigan (Da Yoop) frequently have a "Fargo" accent but I've never lived up there.
Even though I lived in Michigan for 24 years or so, I only visted the UP once when I was a kid. I've probably seen more of the other states I've lived in since then than I ever saw of Michigan.

So far the only accent I've detected in San Antonio is hispanic. It seems everyone else in this town is a transplant from somewhere else, so no "Texan" accent until you get a ways in the country.

So far the only accent I've detected in San Antonio is hispanic. It seems everyone else in this town is a transplant from somewhere else, so no "Texan" accent until you get a ways in the country.
Houston was the same way for the most part.

In High School we got a student from Louisiana as a transfer student and he called it "a cold drink."
Being a "pop" guy, this confused the heck out of me.

Can I get a confirmation on a cold drink???
"Cold drink" typically refers to a cold drink. Depending on the age of the speaker, it could mean "beer".

Regardless of age, the term "cold drink" or "cold pop" in the South draws the line between white and blue collared workers (typically). The older generation of blue collars in my plant say "cold drink" or "cold pop". The younger group will say "Coke" or "beer". White collars say "Coke" or "beer" also.

Hope that helps.

"Cold drink" typically refers to a cold drink. Depending on the age of the speaker, it could mean "beer".
Regardless of age, the term "cold drink" or "cold pop" in the South draws the line between white and blue collared workers (typically). The older generation of blue collars in my plant say "cold drink" or "cold pop". The younger group will say "Coke" or "beer". White collars say "Coke" or "beer" also.

Hope that helps.
That does help. Thanks!

I just saw Mello Yellow at the store last weekend.

I haven't seen that in a long time!!

Around here, Pepsi is rolling out a lot of throwback sodas packaged in their 70 style cans.

The Dr. Pepper I bought for my last return flight from Minnesota had a retro label. Haven't seen it around here yet.

Around here, Pepsi is rolling out a lot of throwback sodas packaged in their 70 style cans.
Yeah, I've seen the Mountain Dew bottles with the hillbilly on the label. Pretty funny. I remember the old glass returnable 16 oz bottles that had that label on it in the 70's.

The Pepsi throwback uses sugar instead of corn syrup as a sweetener. The taste is noticeably different.

The throwback is much more refreshing and less cloyingly sweet than the regular stuff.

I watched an interesting documentary one time about how the high fructose corn syrup revolution in the mid-80s destroyed several economies based on sugar cane production.

Back