Funny exam site stories of April 2014

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The proctor who overheard our entire conversation didn't move to squash it or warn us or even look at us sideways. Here's the bottom line. There is no possible way at all that anything I did on exam day or anything I've done since or anything I saw done during the exam by anybody could possible compromise the integrity of ANY of the exam questions. I created no record in any form of anything and didn't disclose anything to anybody. I did not and would not make any secret information known and I have been very deliberately and ethically careful about this.

dis·close
disˈklōz/
verb
verb: disclose; 3rd person present: discloses; past tense: disclosed; past participle: disclosed; gerund or present participle: disclosing

1. 1.

make (secret or new information) known

The proctor who overheard our entire conversation didn't move to squash it or warn us or even look at us sideways. Here's the bottom line. There is no possible way at all that anything I did on exam day or anything I've done since or anything I saw done during the exam by anybody could possible compromise the integrity of ANY of the exam questions. I created no record in any form of anything and didn't disclose anything to anybody. I did not and would not make any secret information known and I have been very deliberately and ethically careful about this.

dis·close
disˈklōz/
verb
verb: disclose; 3rd person present: discloses; past tense: disclosed; past participle: disclosed; gerund or present participle: disclosing

1. 1.

Um. It's your license. You're free to interpret the rules anyway you see fit.

I tend to tread on the side of caution. But, that's just me.

Matt, probably safest and most cautious not to participate in this forum at all then. We are all discussing the exam in very loose and general terms. It could be interpretted 100 different ways.

I dont think the issue is discussing what you just saw on the exam, it is more of how you are doing it. The intent is to keep the problems, ( property of NCEES) from being spread all over. If you are standing in the parking lot with 2 people that just took the same exam as you, then your are not disclosing or releasing anything. If you are having the same converstation on here; bingo you are violating the agreement. You can't control who is getting the information.

dis-closing nonpublic exam questions, answers, or other information regarding the content of the exam without authorization, before, during, or after the exam administration.

I'm not a lawyer. And if you asked 3 different lawyers you're likely to get 4 different answers, but the above is enough to not even risk it.

In my non lawyer humble opinion.

dis·close
disˈklōz/
verb

1. 1.

Ok. Whether or not you discussed the questions is your business. However, knowing that the NCEES DOES troll this board, why the F would you disclose that you had discussed the problem with others??? It's the same as not discussing the exam at all with anyone who hasn't yet taken it. Those who took it before me (coworkers/employers) refrained from discussing anything with me. Mainly because the rules that you signed off on, like many rules are open to interpretation, which is what Matt was essentially saying. IMO, you are playing fast and loose with your impending license by publicly admitting that you discussed ANYTHING about the exam. I would shut your mouth now if I were you.

So my wife was pregnant during this last time that I took the PE (Oct 2013). Pretty far along too. I kept my phone with me in the exam room but handed it in to the proctors with the notion that I needed to know how she was doing. I I put the phone on silent (no ringer or vibrations) and asked that they monitor it for me in the event that my wife did try to contact me due to an emergency. Reluctantly they obliged on the account that it was a situation that they had never considered before. All good through the morning session. Nothing to report from the baby front. I went to lunch, came back and the same. I handed in my phone, same conditions. Then, around 3:30 in the afternoon the proctor informed me that my wife had text that she was experiencing labor pains. I ignored at first, but then a few more messages came through within the next 60 minutes. I had a decision to make. I was more than half way through and feeling pretty optimistic about my chances of passing. Do I stay or go home to her? Final decision: it was our third kid. She knew what she was doing. I stayed and finished. I passed. She didn't have the kid that day or for many days to follow.

:true:
And that is how the fight started.

Furthermore, please cite specifically where in the agreement it says it is acceptable to disclose and/or discuss information from the exam with others who took the same exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what it says in the ncees examinee guide that you had to agree to (underlines are mine). I'm sure ncees isn't naive enough to think that you won't talk about the exam with your friends. But as others have said, I don't think I'd be advertising that I did so.......

Intellectual Property Rights and Exam Security
All NCEES exams are copyrighted works. Examinees are strictly prohibited
from copying or disclosing any exam questions, problems, or answers, orally
or in writing. This prohibition includes not discussing or disclosing any exam
questions or problems on Internet blogs or chat rooms or through any other
means.

I guess the gray area is "though any other means". Not trying to be a smart arse here but that is vague.

If a candidate discussed a question with other candidate(s) who took the exact same test that, in my opinion is not a violation of the agreement. The thing is that mine, yours, or anybody else's opinions here worth less than two cents. The only one that counts is the opinion of the all powerful engineering gods in the Olympus (NCEES). I would not risk to find out. It is better to be on the safe side of the equation.

Not trying to be a smart arse here but that is vague.
I work with lawyers, they love "vague."

It means they can throw as much crap at the wall as they can in hopes that something will stick.

So, like you, I don't want to find out for myself.

Well, my question was from the NJ Surveying exam, which it a 40 question, 2 hour test. The question was based on a NJ Statute. After the Proctor told me to email the board, she indicated that at least one of the other 2 guys taking the test asked for a comment form.

I ended up emailing PCS (which administers the test), NCEES and the Jersey Board. I haven't heard from PCS or the NJ board yet, but NCEES said they have nothing to do with it.

One thing about questions like that is how much you overthink it.

I sat there and thought: "None of those answers are right". "That answer has to have a typo in it." "They don't put trick questions on these tests". "Wait...maybe I misread the question, lets read it again." "That didn't work, let's rewrite it...nope still not working..." "Well, none of them are correct, but this answer is the least wrong, I'll pick that one." "But if this answer does have a typo and if it is supposed to be the right answer and I don't pick it I'll get it wrong." "Maybe my reference book is old and the law was changed." "But I have the December 2013 version of the Law, did they change the law in 3 months." "What if it is a new law and the test is based on the old law."

It's really quite silly, one question is not going to be the reason I pass or fail.

I did really want to ask the other guy if he contested the same question...but I didn't have the patience to wait for him after the test. So perhaps there were two bad questions....or maybe none and I just can't read well....I guess we'll never know.

It's really quite silly, one question is not going to be the reason I pass or fail.
Not to make you nervous, but I beg to differ.

The passing score typically is = failed score + 1

Back