October 2018 - Funny Exam Stories

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For us, they were installing solar panels on the roof of the armory. And even though we were on the 1st floor, it sounded like a herd of elephants above us.

The facility manager said "they weren't supposed to be working today but they're contractors so..." 
giphy.webp

LOL that sounds awful. I hope you were able to focus at least a little bit.  

I flew back to DC the night of the PE. My carryon had the majority of my books. once I was on the plane, I tried to lift the carryon over my head to put it in the overhead bin - my arms gave out, so the carryon came back down and hit me in the face. two guys had to help me put it in the overhead. surprised i didn't get a nosebleed or bloody lip. 

I flew back to DC the night of the PE. My carryon had the majority of my books. once I was on the plane, I tried to lift the carryon over my head to put it in the overhead bin - my arms gave out, so the carryon came back down and hit me in the face. two guys had to help me put it in the overhead. surprised i didn't get a nosebleed or bloody lip. 
LOL oh no @vee043324, I'm so glad you were okay! Sounds like our suitcases gave a couple of people workouts Friday.  GO ENVIRO :pppp

hahaha a concussion would have definitely been the cherry on top of a perfect day. 
Yes, living/working inside the beltway has hardened @vee043324. Pretty much unkillable.

More on topic, it's not as ha-ha funny, but my test neighbor (young guy) behind me seriously came to the exam with only the FE manual and...that's it. He flipped through that thing like a mofo during the morning session. After lunch, his chair was empty. So...this is what happens when you bring a knife to a gunfight.

More on topic, it's not as ha-ha funny, but my test neighbor (young guy) behind me seriously came to the exam with only the FE manual and...that's it. He flipped through that thing like a mofo during the morning session. After lunch, his chair was empty. So...this is what happens when you bring a knife to a gunfight.
I disagree, it's totally LOL funny; that level of unpreparedness deserves no sympathy.

It's not bring a knife to a gunfight, it's bringing a dull plastic McDonald's spork to gunfight.

There was a guy at my exam that had 0, thats right 0 resources. He at least did bring a lunch, apparently he thought you couldn't bring anything into the exam room. I am curious to know how he did.
My guess: he passed unless he was taking Transportation/structures (assuming Civil). 

There was a guy at my exam that had 0, thats right 0 resources. He at least did bring a lunch, apparently he thought you couldn't bring anything into the exam room. I am curious to know how he did.
Not even a calculator?! We'll his score is probably pretty close to the number of books he brought.

First time I took the test, there happened to be another guy taking the nuclear exam. He only brought two books with him. I'm actually inclined to believe that he passed.

And that’s how you end up with bridges collapsing. Do you want bridges collapsing? May god have mercy on us all if that person passed

One of my coworker took the PE with just sample exam and calculator... But he is a freak though super smart

One of my coworker took the PE with just sample exam and calculator... But he is a freak though super smart
My coworker also did this. One day of active study, NCEES exam, and calculator only. Now THAT is badass. Buuuut, he also went to school in Asia where they teach particle physics in grammar school so...

In Milwaukee, there happened to be a "My Little Pony" convention at my hotel, down the street from the test location. At the lunch break between AM and PM sessions, I walked back to clear my head and eat lunch. 

Unfortunately, I walked into a techo-infused sh*t show consisting of grown men dressed in pony costumes/accessories partying way too hard for noon on a Friday. 

I literally cannot make this up. I was so drained from the AM session that I did not fully grasp the insanity of what I was subjected to until well after the entire exam was over.
Haha. I was at the springhill suites. So was oblivious to it all. But that would have been hilarious and aggravating at the same time.

Jokes aside, when I took my exam in April 2018, the guy directly in front of my brought nothing but a single calculator. No references at all. He finished the first 4 -hr session in 2 hrs and left and after lunch finished the second 4-hr session in 1.5 hrs and left. To this day I wish I knew the results. For sure he either didnt give a crap and bombed at 25%, or was a super genius and aced the fist 100% ever. I want to know!

Jokes aside, when I took my exam in April 2018, the guy directly in front of my brought nothing but a single calculator. No references at all. He finished the first 4 -hr session in 2 hrs and left and after lunch finished the second 4-hr session in 1.5 hrs and left. To this day I wish I knew the results. For sure he either didnt give a crap and bombed at 25%, or was a super genius and aced the fist 100% ever. I want to know!
Any idea which test he took? You could sort of figure it out based on the exam front sheet color? Some exams need less references than others.

I don't know how anyone would pass without a single reference. I had enough books to fill a small library. Reference manual, class binders, 6 min solutions, Betty Crocker 15 min meals, chiltons repair manual to a 94 Chevy Tahoe....I came prepared.

I did feel really bad for the woman next me taking transpo. We chatted a little before the exam. Both took review classes and felt pretty prepared. Test time started and she went to pull out her giant binder and it came open and every page fell out. They let her cram what she could back in but the rest fell into her tote and was told she couldn't use them because of the loose paper rule. The salvaged binder was in no kind of order. She stuck it out but was obviously not doing well. Ended up ripping her scantron erasing an answer and by the end was crying. 

I ended up passing. Can't speak for my tablemate. 

Back