foreign degree. Bs electrical engineering from spain

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bromance_fit

Reaction score
Hi, my name is luis.

I am from spain, I am getting my bachelor degree in electrical engineering at salamanca university.

I have a few questions and I hope you guys can help me.

First question: I want to take the FE exam in florida state because my brother lives there and i know i need to evaluate my degree and everything but i would like to know if i am going to need the toefl to prove i know english or it is not a requirement?

I mean if I just need my evaluation credentials and I can apply for the FE EXAM?

Second question: Any tips about the FE electrical exam?

Thanks in advance.

If you need to know something about Spain will be my pleasure to help.

You may need to contact the florida board of engineers to see their requirements to take the FE exam i dont know if they required to pass an english as a second language test or not. Some states require a test or a letter from your employer confirming that you are fluent in english. Also since you have a foreign degree that I believe is not an Abet acredited degree you may need to get your degree evaluated by NCEES, if NCEES found deficiencies in your degree you may need to fill those deficiencies first. In other words you may need to take more clases.

Im an electrical engineer also, when i took the FE(april 2006) I took in the afternoon portion of the exam the General module (other disciplines) i dont know how much it have change now and i also dont know if now is a requirement to go with your discipline (electrical). Basically electrical cover questions from almost every topic in electrical engineering, laplace transforms(controls), furier transforms(communication), logical circuits, diodes, rectifiers, zener diodes, opamps, transistors power electronics, power etc. You shall be familiar with all that. The FE is not an easy test, If you really are interested in the licensing you really need to put some serius effort in the FE exam and also the PE exam. Send me a private message if you have questions, I also speak spanish by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
To begin, go to NCEES.org and review the rules for the FE exam. Things have changed since Jan 2014, when the examination became a computer based exam. You will find the test protocol at NCEES.org which will identify (describe) all of the subjects on the FE exam. Again, the material has changed, so reviewing the website should help. If you need to have your foreign degree evaluated, which I suspect you will, how that is done is also on the NCEES web site. As stated above, after reviewing the NCEES web site, a call to the Florida board will answer whatever questions remain.

I would also review engineerintrainingexam.com. Justin Dickmeyer does an outstanding job of helping on the FE exam. His web site is full of good material.

Good Luck-- you can do this!

I went through the same process last year with the Florida Board. Here's what their statues say:

"As for competency in English, transcripts of course work completed, course content syllabi, testimonials from employers, college level advanced placement tests, Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores of at least 550 in the paper-based version, or 213 in the computer-based version, will be accepted as satisfactory evidence."

In my case, I took 4 college level English courses in my country which appeared in my credentials evaluation and were accepted as satisfactory evidence.

Can't really tell you about the FE electrical exam, I took the FE Civil.

thanks for the answers, I really aprrecciate your attention. @Wildsoldier PE @solomonb @cbr3544

I have another question.

Do I need social security number to apply for the FE EXAM?

thanks in advance.

yes, I know I need it it if I want to work in USA , but the only way to get it is a company gives me the work visa. But my point is if I need to find a job and get the social security and after I can apply for the FE, I mean i can not take the FE exam before get a job? @Wildsoldier PE.

Thats something you shall verify with the Florida board of engineers first. It may not be required.

Back