Few basic questions about Civil PE exam qual. in Illinois

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sang

Reaction score
I am just getting started on PE and have few basic questions.

I have B.S. from Asia but have M.S.C.E. from U of I and 6 years of experience under PE in Illinois.

Can I take PE exam in Illinois?

I am little bit concerned because the form says the education is based on 4-year undergraduate.

Also, I didn't take FE yet. Can I take FE and PE at same time?

Finally, how many PE need to sign off on my paper work? I see only one on the form but seems like other states are asking for 5 PE's to recommend me.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need to send an application to ILLINOIS to take your FE exam first.

Then, after passing it (6 months later) you will need to send an application to take your PE. The Illinois Board will decide if you are eligible for the exams when you submit the application.

In IL you can actually take both tests the same weekend...don't know why you'd do that to yourself, but it happens. With a foreign undergraduate education i am almost certain they will have to do a full review of your application, regardless of the masters degree. Call/email the board. They will be the only ones to truely and accurately answer your questions.

http://www.idfpr.com/dpr/WHO/pe.asp

In IL you can actually take both tests the same weekend...don't know why you'd do that to yourself, but it happens. With a foreign undergraduate education i am almost certain they will have to do a full review of your application, regardless of the masters degree. Call/email the board. They will be the only ones to truely and accurately answer your questions.
http://www.idfpr.com/dpr/WHO/pe.asp
You can take both the FE and PE in the same weekend (Fri/Sat), but you foreign undergraduate degree will need to be evaluated by a board approved evaluation service (pg. 3 of the application). I believe the evaluation is required even with a US graduate degree, but I would check with the board (they generally are good about responding to emails).

You don't need a specific number of letters of recommendation in IL, but you do need to prove 4 years of experience. If all 4 years were performed under the same PE, then you only need 1 recommendation. If you worked under multiple PEs, then you'll need recommendations from each of them. If you have multiple PE, just make multiple copies of the form to include with your application.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back