FE Book for PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot14

Reaction score
I have the FE reference book and will be sitting for the Mech PE exam in April - Anyone think the FE book would be useful during the exam? Is it worth bringing?

Thank you in advance......

I have the FE reference book and will be sitting for the Mech PE exam in April - Anyone think the FE book would be useful during the exam? Is it worth bringing?
Not useful for Mechanical, all the stuff is in the MERM anyway. If you like how some things are formatted or phrased in the FE book better than in the MERM, you can always put stuff in the margins (if your state is ok with writing in books)

Not useful for Mechanical, all the stuff is in the MERM anyway. If you like how some things are formatted or phrased in the FE book better than in the MERM, you can always put stuff in the margins (if your state is ok with writing in books)
thanks for the suggestion - i took the FE exam 3 times and know the handbook well (atleast the front sections) I am planning on taking the MERM but seems like a lot of page / index flipping Thanks again for your suggestion!

Ere you talking about the Lindeburg reference book (the FE counterpart to MERM) or the NCEES supplied equation book?

Either way, it will confuse you more. the things you need for PE are in MERM, or any of the other industry books (ASHRAE etc.).

Any of the FE books would only be useful if you knew them very well (if useful at all, which I still doubt). I would recommend using the time to familiarize with FE books for PE books instead (assuming you take the PE exam :)

I had the same idea... but while studying I realized looking into FE books is a waste.

Ere you talking about the Lindeburg reference book (the FE counterpart to MERM) or the NCEES supplied equation book?
Either way, it will confuse you more. the things you need for PE are in MERM, or any of the other industry books (ASHRAE etc.).

Any of the FE books would only be useful if you knew them very well (if useful at all, which I still doubt). I would recommend using the time to familiarize with FE books for PE books instead (assuming you take the PE exam :)

I had the same idea... but while studying I realized looking into FE books is a waste.

Thanks - I took the FE 3 times and know where thing are in there - - sort of overwhelmed with the MERMs book -

Thanks - I took the FE 3 times and know where thing are in there - - sort of overwhelmed with the MERMs book -
My advice, be familiar with books for the PE test. the FE books will have very little use

I agree with the previous replies--I looked over the FE reference manual a couple days before the PE and didn't even bother bringing the book with me to the test. Trust the MERM.

I agree with the previous replies--I looked over the FE reference manual a couple days before the PE and didn't even bother bringing the book with me to the test. Trust the MERM.

Great - thanks guys - I will start looking over that tonight - I appriecate your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great - thanks guys - I will start looking over that tonight - I appriecate your help!
On many questions on this forum you will notice that people who took the test have differing opinions.

If you still have doubts, do quite some sample questions/tests and see if the FE book is any help. then see if the PE books contain the same or better help. Then you'll realize that all the few useful things covered in FE books, will be in the PE books too.

and no matter how confusing the MERM seems to be, you'll NEED to be comfortable with it. Use it a lot and you'll be comfortable with it.

Depending on where you're taking the test, the FE reference may not be allowed. It's specifically forbidden in IL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back